First TT in 34yrs, any advice ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

Veteran
Improving a bit. Did the same TT today (they moved it from Sept - May this year) and managed a better result with an average speed of 38.3kmh. Poor warm up (again) and went way too hard off the start but overall achieved what i had targeted and that’s what It’s all about. I think if i loose 2-3kgs, train a bit harder and with some more kit tweaks then i could reach that mythical 40km/h average, that’s gotta be the goal👍🏻

Always good fun and always great seeing the fast guys at +47kmh average 😳

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

Veteran
3rd TT today and finally reached 40.68kmh average and coming 2nd place in the UCI Masters 3 category. Shorter course at 18.40km with 141m of elevation and quite a funky course overall. Poor start and hectic finish but it all seemed to come good overall. Had some pacing advice from a much more experienced rider and that certainly helped.

Happy to be progressing and now to plan something a bit more serious for this winters training plan 👍🏻

Mick Mudd

Über Member
I haven't TT'd for 40 years and in fact was more of a tourist than a racer and never rode many club TT's.
My fastest time was 25:17 for a 10-mile TT which worked out at about 23 mph which i smugly thought was pretty good until i read somewhere that the Titanic's top speed was 26mph !
Huh, beaten by a lumbering great ship..:smile:

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

Veteran
I haven't TT'd for 40 years and in fact was more of a tourist than a racer and never rode many club TT's.
My fastest time was 25:17 for a 10-mile TT which worked out at about 23 mph which i smugly thought was pretty good until i read somewhere that the Titanic's top speed was 26mph !

Didn’t realise the titanic was that fast 😳

Good benchmark for any TTer 👍

Sharky

Guru

So when is your first/next TT?

Must admit, I missed this year 2023, various commitments and then there were roadworks on our local course and the 10 series got cancelled before I'd psyched myself up to ride them.

But I love TT's, they give me the incentive to ride each year and I've not missed many years since 1967. Now a 500+ life time tally for timetrials! But sadly, the last time I did a PB was in 1969.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

Veteran
So when is your first/next TT?

Must admit, I missed this year 2023, various commitments and then there were roadworks on our local course and the 10 series got cancelled before I'd psyched myself up to ride them.

But I love TT's, they give me the incentive to ride each year and I've not missed many years since 1967. Now a 500+ life time tally for timetrials! But sadly, the last time I did a PB was in 1969.

Must admit this is one thing I miss about the UK, the TT scene is really active and welcoming. Here I’ve found 4 events for 2024 and that includes the nationals that I’ll enter, actually I’ll do all 4 next year.

Soon the training will start 😐 although as I have a long endurance fondo planned as well I’m not sure I’ll be any good at any of them 😂

Jameshow

Veteran
Must admit this is one thing I miss about the UK, the TT scene is really active and welcoming. Here I’ve found 4 events for 2024 and that includes the nationals that I’ll enter, actually I’ll do all 4 next year.

Soon the training will start 😐 although as I have a long endurance fondo planned as well I’m not sure I’ll be any good at any of them 😂

Maybe I'll do a TT this coming year.

I can run a 19min 5k/ 40min 10k so would interesting to do a 10/25 miler.

Jameshow

Veteran
This year I've set PB's in both 10's and 25's, albeit not fast PB's. Back to TT'ing next year, possibly starting with the Calder Clarion 5 mile TT on New Year's Day.

Any chance of PM me your schedule any on Saturday/ week nights.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
New Years day as in next Monday ?

Yep. Either that or Skolly's Manchester ride. The TT route's here: https://ridewithgps.com/events/199356-nyd-5-mile-tt and it's either a 'fun' approach or those taking it far-to-seriously for New Year's Day. One year a rider who was still clearly plastered got to the start and, when the holder let go, simply fell over sideways.

412139248_17946417827737442_906028424134615399_n.jpg

Any chance of PM me your schedule any on Saturday/ week nights.

Happy to once I work it out although I tend to do weekend TT's locally and also there was a good evening series run over near Howden on Wednesday evenings which I did a few times. Also a Calder Clarion Wednesday 10 south of Wakefield May-Aug and usually one near Holmfirth.

I'll be doing a mix of track racing Jan-Mar, TT's and audaxes Mar-Aug, track Sep-Dec although I'm going to be racing a lot less than the 140 races I've done this year. A list should appear shortly of those being offered at; https://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/find-events.

There's a local Yorkshire time-trialling FB group that's well worth joining if you're interested in having a go: https://www.facebook.com/groups/178520497512240

Top Bottom