Mph to achieve a target time in a TT?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

suzeworld

Veteran
Obviously if you’re after 5 hours in a 100 you can target 20mph as an average and you’re good to go.

If you’re after beating a PB of 4 hr 37 it’s more tricky.
Hitting anything better than a time of 4 hr 36 would be a win. What mph would guarantee that target time?

My partner is SURE there are charts to tell riders exactly what mph you have to do for target times on TT distances.

Does this ring any bells for you? I have drawn a blank, trying to find such a chart for her, but mainly cos all the search terms are very generic and produce lots of irrelevant results.

Please share this with me if you know where we can find this information.
She’s entered in this year’s National Vet 100 and wants to have a precise average speed goal.

Thanks so much.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

Chislenko

Veteran
I have an old excel spreadsheet that I used to log my times on for running before Strava / Garmin etc.

It has various formulae that would tell you.

Not used it in years mind but it will still be the pc. Not saying the pc is old but it still runs happily on Windows XP!

Sharky

Guru
You can't really ride to an average mph to achieve a 5 hour 100. You will slow as the race progresses.

A rule of thumb I was told for estimating a 50 time, was to take your 25 time, double it and add 4 mins. For a 100, it would be double the 50 time, plus a factor, which I never worked out.

In my youth (1968), I rode and finished my one and only 100 TT and I had target times taped to my stem and a Smith's pocket watch on the bars. I was close to 5hrs, but hugely disappointed with my time of 5hrs and 10 seconds! I often think if I could have done each mile quicker by 1/10th of a second, I would have beaten the 5hrs and the 20mph target.

Fastpedaller

You can't really ride to an average mph to achieve a 5 hour 100. You will slow as the race progresses.
Well maybe.... Depends to a large extent on the weather! I recall riding a 100 in kent which went through Romney Marsh - I was on 76" fixed IIRC and it was VERY windy the first 50 took me 3 hours - the second 50 something like 2hrs 20 min. I think the winner only just beat 5 hours..... 'twas quite some ride and only about half the field finished. All from memory, but I may have the result sheet tucked away somewhere :laugh:

Sharky

Guru
Well maybe.... Depends to a large extent on the weather! I recall riding a 100 in kent which went through Romney Marsh - I was on 76" fixed IIRC and it was VERY windy the first 50 took me 3 hours - the second 50 something like 2hrs 20 min. I think the winner only just beat 5 hours..... 'twas quite some ride and only about half the field finished. All from memory, but I may have the result sheet tucked away somewhere :laugh:

I've ridden down there, on the 25 and 50 courses. It's extremely windy down there!

Big T

Guru

A rule of thumb I was told for estimating a 50 time, was to take your 25 time, double it and add 4 mins. For a 100, it would be double the 50 time, plus a factor, which I never worked out.

In my youth (1968), I rode and finished my one and only 100 TT and I had target times taped to my stem and a Smith's pocket watch on the bars. I was close to 5hrs, but hugely disappointed with my time of 5hrs and 10 seconds! I often think if I could have done each mile quicker by 1/10th of a second, I would have beaten the 5hrs and the 20mph target.

I remember doing my one and only 100 mile TT. I was off number 2 and caught number 1 after a few miles. My club mate who was number 5, caught me for 3 minutes at 65 miles. I did the first 50 miles in 2hrs 10 minutes, but completely blew my doors off at about 75 miles and ended up with 4 hrs 57 mins. (2hrs 47mins for the second 50 miles! ). The club mate who took 65 miles to catch me, then beat me by over 20 minutes. I did have the consolation of being the 3rd counter of the winning team.

I would definitely fade but some folk are excellent at not doing so and even going faster.

I've never done a 100miles TT chapeau :bravo:

Gwylan

Veteran
Learn some simple mental arithmetic algorithms
Do some back of an envelope prep

Horseback arithmetic and ball park figures will get you there.

Do some simple typical spreadsheets ahead of things.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Don't ride to the calculated average. You have to cruise quite a bit faster to compensate for the start and the turns, plus any other junctions. My mediocre PB of 26:14 for a "10" needed a 22.87mph average but I would have needed to maintain about 24mph on the long straight bits. You'd need to cruise at almost 40mph to break the British record. Most people can't achieve 40mph in a sprint!

Top Bottom