'First world problems'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Racing roadkill
Actually, being flooded out is very much a third-world problem really.
Not the flood, the lack of biscuits. I suspect you probably knew that's what I meant.

Last edited:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Thread title reminds me of this sob story, from the weekend Guardian:

boo hoo.jpg

Well, I for one have coped by not getting an iPhone (because my ebay HTC Sensation does the same job for a tiny fraction of the cost) or a leased car, because buying a second hand one is so much cheaper. Perhaps you could try not being such an entitlement numpty?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member

View attachment 117794
Well, I for one have coped by not getting an iPhone (because my ebay HTC Sensation does the same job for a tiny fraction of the cost) or a leased car, because buying a second hand one is so much cheaper. Perhaps you could try not being such an entitlement numpty?
Spot on, especially the car. I cover 20k per year and my car cost me £1050 over two years ago.

U

User482

View attachment 117794

I suspect the cost of an iphone is utterly trivial compared to renting in London.

View attachment 117794
Living in London, they are basic human rights that nobody should be without.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Ive earned £125 since december the 12th...ill let you know..lol

but litle things can mean a lot
i met the wife for lunch last week at a nice little cafe in Market adeeping..a BLT on granary bread and a piece of courgette and lemmon drizzle cake "superb cake" ,that was nice..first time we have done lunch while she's at work in 20yr

fortunately im used to this since 2008 crash and being self employed..but i hope to be busy by the end of feb..
bored bored bored..lol

litle things can mean a lot
Someone should use that line in an advert.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I love the "..I'm already taking sandwiches to work..." bit. I might be wrong but this really sounds like a kid who has had a lot of things provided for them, and they just assumed that living where they want, having a car and a nice phone was easy and expected. Yep, they cost money and someone has to pay for it somewhere! (and if it's now you, you budget accordingly and work out where you can afford to live, that's how other people cope). Assuming this person went to uni (and it might be likely given they are "24, new to living and working in London"), it's interesting that there is no mention of student debt either.

View attachment 117794

U

User482

Of course, it's easy to write off this young person as just another feckless youth, but economic reality is rather different for young people today than it was when I was starting out. The situation regarding rents, job security, pensions and student debt has degraded significantly over the last twenty years.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Of course, it's easy to write off this young person as just another feckless youth, but economic reality is rather different for young people today than it was when I was starting out. The situation regarding rents, job security, pensions and student debt has degraded significantly over the last twenty years.
Oh absolutely - I couldn't agree more. I fear for my offspring. But it doesn't change the fact that after 30 years of reasonably well paid work, I have never had a car as new as 'a leased car', nor have I ever had - nor would I ever have - an iPhone. I can't afford it/them, so I go without it/them. I don't get coffees from Starbucks either, and I hardly ever eat out/takeaways/deliveries. I shop carefully, and cook. I eat well - but cheaply.

What gets me is the boo hoo woe is me dirge from someone who just assumes an entitlement to things I've always ruled out as being too costly and/or not worth the money. As one of the respondents in the Guardian put it: 'You're a grown up now. Stop whingeing and live within your means.'

First world problem is longhand for a sneer isn't it. I dislike the phrase as it trivialises others issues in a lazy offhand way. It's of no consequence to me if it's accurate or not, I immediately feel the need to take against those who use it.

Top Bottom