'Fixed' Bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

betty swollocks

large member
I like riding a fixed wheel bike: it's fun.
Erm: that's it really.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Dave5N said:
Bloody Hell! Page two and still no-one has mentioned being at one one with the bike, in a zen-like wholeness.

Because its the biggest load of shoot going..........

montage

God Almighty
I used one on the velodrome...and I actually think that fixed is faster...at least on the flat. Flywheel effect and all that.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
OK..me new to this game....... as you all know....

My family, everyone, thinks I am nuts...can't stop pedalling...no gears..... (and they know what sort of riding I do...).....

For me, apart from simplicity, is to train harder.....I do that at the moment on a flippin MTB...it's been slicked for almost 2 years, but I need it for stuff..like propper off road fun, and going for a spin with the kids....

Both road bikes do not accept any form of guard...both spit at them.. honest...:hello: - no room.... at all...

Fixed for me.....

Increase RPM flexibility.....
Reduced Wear.... ish..
Strengthen certain muscles - never knew they were there until my first ride...:biggrin:

I expect some problems..my weak hamstring is playing up, but it can help.

I have realised I do pedal very 360 - something I've always done, but feel no assistance on fixed until I am out of my RPM comfort zone.....

I am in and out of the saddle no problem - again 360 pedalling......

Just need to sort out the RPM now....

Joe24

fossyant said:
Joe..I need two at the moment......:biggrin::blush:

I had 2 on at first. I hardly used the back one though, and when i went down a steep hill spinning like mad and never needed it, i just took it off. That was last year and ive not had one on since.
The reason i had one on though was because an old guy in the club said i should have 2 on incase i go down a long hill and need to brake or my chain comes off.
When you get used to leg braking you will be fine.
You have nicer tyres on then me though, i have tyres on that cost me £9 each so i could just skid.
Theres another good thing. You can do some real cool skids on fixeds:becool:
Just dont do it with nice tyres on though or they will flat spot:wacko:

Joe24

fossyant said:
Oh..I need two..even on road bikes.. the option of two plus leg braking is good.. for commuting... Warp 9 to zero is enhanced.......

Easy.
Lots of front braking and leg brake then lock your legs and pull up, you will soon slow down alot.

Top Bottom