England : West Yorkshire Fnaar and ColinJ's 'Tour Time Taster' - Sat, 5th July

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
@Fnaar is planning to be down in West Yorkshire when the Tour de France peloton passes through and asked if I could work out a route to let him sample some of the local hills. I quite fancied the idea, and this forum ride is the result.

Stage 1 of the Tour is on Saturday 5th July and traverses the Yorkshire Dales, which are 20+ miles north of here. Stage 2 comes through Hebden Bridge on Sunday 6th July, and carries on down to finish in Sheffield.

Fnaar and I are proposing to ride some of the local stage 2 route on the Saturday. I know that many of you who come here for Tour weekend will be up in the Dales for stage 1, but if anybody fancies joining us for this ride to get a taste of what the Tour riders will be tackling the following day, you would be welcome to join us.

I scaled back my original route. I looked at it and realised that it was pretty brutal. Even if you lot could manage it, I would have been at my limits and might have taken 9 hours to get round. So, the new route is shorter and easier, though still quite challenging. I have split it into 2 loops from Hebden Bridge, the idea being that we do the first loop, have a cafe stop here, then do the second loop. If anybody only wanted to do the first loop, that would be fine.

Loop 1: Follow the Tour route from Hebden Bridge to Mytholmroyd, then tackle the 'Cote de Cragg Vale'. It is England's longest continuous climb, but isn't too scary unless the weather turns nasty. Turn left at the top after 5.5 miles of climbing, and descend the A58 to Ripponden where we would turn right and tackle our second Tour climb, the stiff slopes of the 'Cote de Ripponden Bank'! There we would leave the Tour route and drop down into the valley after Barkisland. Climb back out of the valley through Stainland to the A640 at Outlane. We will come off the A640 and then continue climbing to the top of Scapegoat Hill. This is just a scenic detour which will eventually bring us back onto the A640 higher up at Pole Moor. From there, we will do a nice little circuit of Scammonden Water on a singletrack lane, followed by a steep climb back up to the B6114 at Moselden Height. A quick descent over the M62, then a small rise to Ringstone Edge reservoir where we turn back to our left to follow a singletrack lane to the foot of Booth Wood reservoir and then climb up to the A672. Another quick descent brings us to Rishworth. We then have to climb some very steep, narrow lanes to get us up to Blue Ball Lane, and can then take one of my favourite local routes back to Hebden Bridge. We drop down into Mytholmroyd and can go back to Hebden Bridge on the A646 or take the Calder Valley Cycleway to avoid the traffic. 38 miles, or a few more if we decide to add one of my 'scenic detours' before the descent to Mytholmroyd

There are lots of cafes to choose from in Hebden Bridge. We can decide which to go to when we get back here.

Map of loop 1
Stage 2 of TdF in Yorkshire - loop 1 map.jpg

Profile of loop 1
Stage 2 of TdF in Yorkshire - loop 1 profile.jpg

Loop 2: Climb the Keighley Road 4 miles to Cock Hill, then plunge down to Oxenhope. This is the reverse of the route to be taken by the Tour riders, but we will be coming back the other way later! From Oxenhope, ride along Haworth Brow as far as the B6142 which is where the peloton will arrive from Keighley. Descend the B6142 into Haworth, take a look at the steam trains there if we fancy that, then climb the steep little hill up the side of the park. The Tour riders will be going up the narrow cobbled climb of Main Street. I suspect that we will not be able to because of Tourist numbers. If so, we can either walk our bikes up to take a look at the official route, or just stay on the B6142 and ride round it, rejoining the route at the top of Main St. From there we can stay on the Tour route all the way back to Hebden Bridge - descend into a dip, then steep climb back out. Turn left and descend to Lower Laithe reservoir, then do the steep little climb of Penistone Hill and descend off it to Oxenhope. From there, it is a 2 mile climb back up to Cock Hill at about 6%, then a nice 4.5 mile descent back to Hebden Bridge. The second loop is about 19 miles.

Map of loop 2
Stage 2 of TdF in Yorkshire - loop 2 map.jpg

Profile of loop 2

Stage 2 of TdF in Yorkshire - loop 2 profile.jpg

So, if you do both loops without the bonus scenic detour, that would be about 57 miles. With the detour, about 60 miles. The pace will be easy, speed of the slowest rider. Including stops and taking the hills into account, I reckon we will probably average no more than about 15 kph (9 mph) overall.

We'll be aiming to set off at 10:00 so let's meet at Market Place car park, Hebden Bridge, at 09:45 on Saturday, 5th July. (Map showing car parks)

The centre of Hebden Bridge is now pedestrianised and there is a one-way system. To get to the car park turn right up Commercial Street as you come into HB from the Halifax direction, second left after about 100 yards by the White Lion. Follow that road round over the river. The car park is then on your right.

If you are coming from the Todmorden direction, turn left down Old Gate (one way street) at the end of Market Street, just after the bar/pub on your left. Follow the road round past the (boarded up) Hole in t'Wall. The car park is straight ahead on the right just beyond the new council buildings.

If anybody decides to turn up UNannounced (it has happened before :tongue:) make sure that you get to Market Place car park by 09:45 because we won't be hanging about once all those officially riding have gathered!

I reckon we might get back from the second loop at about 16:00, maybe even a bit later. (Told you it would be slow!) The local parking wardens nab people all the time, so pay for a full day in the car park - it is a lot cheaper than paying a hefty fine!

Post below if you fancy coming along! :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 5th July forum ride with TdF stage 2 climbs loop1.gpx
    18.7 KB · Views: 72
  • 5th July forum ride with TdF stage 2 climbs loop2.gpx
    9.8 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
That all sounds terrific @ColinJ , thanks for taking the trouble to put this together. I'll sort out my arrangements, and all being well, see you on the day!

By the way, are the single tracks and cycleway bits OK for a road bike? (I could always bring my tourer instead)

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

That all sounds terrific @ColinJ , thanks for taking the trouble to put this together. I'll sort out my arrangements, and all being well, see you on the day!

By the way, are the single tracks and cycleway bits OK for a road bike? (I could always bring my tourer instead)
The singletrack lanes should be ok apart from gravel and potholes. The cycleway also has a few potholes and some gravelly bits but I did it on my road bike yesterday.

I don't know what gearing you have on your normal road bike, or what you would need, but I will definitely be making full use of my triple in places!

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
The singletrack lanes should be ok apart from gravel and potholes. The cycleway also has a few potholes and some gravelly bits but I did it on my road bike yesterday.

I don't know what gearing you have on your normal road bike, or what you would need, but I will definitely be making full use of my triple in places!
OK, cheers, my lowest gear on the roadie is (which does me fine for Northumberland hills, though I know your neck of the woods is steeper) is 39-28

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Sounds good. If I'm feeling OK and can get a day pass from the kids I'll come. @Fnaar may need someone to translate like ...
I had already anticipated that possibility! There are certain combinations of accent and voice-type that I really struggle with ... (I am slightly hard of hearing and now have a touch of tinnitus to go with it.)

Steampig

I had already anticipated that possibility! There are certain combinations of accent and voice-type that I really struggle with ... (I am slightly hard of hearing and now have a touch of tinnitus to go with it.)
I think i may give that a whirl Colin.
im still building up the miles (and the hills) and despite cramping up last time i enjoyed the ride

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I think i may give that a whirl Colin.
im still building up the miles (and the hills) and despite cramping up last time i enjoyed the ride
That would be good!

You could cycle over at the start then go straight home from Haworth/Oxenhope at the end, or if you fancied an easier day - drive over/get a lift here and just do the 38 mile HB-Scammonden-HB loop.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Maybe = my usual Saturday commitment has been cancelled cos of some bike race or other.......

It Largely depends on
A) How battered I'm feeling after the C2C this Saturday.
B) If I can wrangle another day pass out so soon... this is the hard part and I may be forced to take Mrs Kes out to get beered up in Holmfirth instead.....

Top Bottom