FNRttC FNRttC 3rd July to Brighton - the 'Genteel' ride 2009

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
StuAff said:
I wasn't that quick. My bike's only called a Jetstream, doesn't actually have one on the back...! I was hitting about 30 mph on the faster downhill sections, I generally top out about 20 on the flat, 26 with a tailwind my record. But thanks for the compliment (if you think we were fast, the fastest guys at the Nocturne Series folding bike races can get up to 35 mph...).

A bit of artistic licence, Stu. All I meant is that I don't see a lot of folders down here (no one commutes to Swansea :o), so I failed to appreciate their versatility until Friday night. It's an n+1 moment...

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
theclaud said:
A bit of artistic licence, Stu. All I meant is that I don't see a lot of folders down here (no one commutes to Swansea :o), so I failed to appreciate their versatility until Friday night. It's an n+1 moment...

All converts to the fold welcome :biggrin:

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
clivedb said:
This time was another first because I cycled on from Brighton and completed 100 miles for the first time since I was about 17. I always thought people who did that were nutters, so it seems that the night rides have changed my perception of reality.

Oy, what you saying? :ohmy:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Of course I should have done the full monty but circumstances etc....

....however it was a pleasure to do a brief section with you all and meet a few new CCers and a few old ones.

The new-to-me ones I will hopefully meet again, were the absolutely delightful 'theclaud', 'topcat1' + bruv (great photos), The Doctor (keep on flashing), ChrisKH (recognisable from his face:blush:), SigSilverPrinter (lovely Essex girl!), GrumpyGreg ( a misnomer - delightful fellow)

The old lags like Ape, MacB, Ilovecycling70milesthedaybeforesettingoffforgibraltar - always a treat to meet!

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
dellzeqq said:
MacB - we used to have business cards with the words 'conversational pace' written on them. Chats are in the mission statement.

Totally understand which is why I now 'get' the ride more, but in my defense I would say:-

Conversational Pace - from my first ride to Southend in March to this ride my conversational pace has changed hugely. I can remember being amazed at people chatting when I was using all available energy just to keep up. Starting the retunr leg to London ChrisKH was leading us out of Southend, setting a pace that almost had me crying. Keeping up also really mattered to me as I didn't want people to have to wait for me. Whereas I can now vary the pace knowing I have the legs to catch up again without dying, proved to myself when I dropped off the back for a toilet break. Two of the tecs expressed surprise when I reappeared behind them, then remembered I had told them what I was going to be doing.

Conversational Content - pretty much anything goes but you need to be aware of how uplifting/devastating small remarks can be. Based around personal experience, as you do, I refer to my bike. This began life with 35mm tyres, rack, rackpack, mudguards. It's gradually trimmed down to 23mm tyres, no rack, no guards and I feel inordinately proud of an inanimate object. But some remark examples:-

MacB arrives on train to Manningtree with Redjedi and Dell, the bike is mid reincarnation having got to 28mm tyres with rack and no guards - Dell muses, aloud, how anyone can enjoy riding such a tank - MacB considers how Dell may suffer an unfortunate accident trying to disembark from train.

Aperitif arrives at Manningtree having done a ridiculous amount of miles just to get there - as we chat on ride the tyres are mentioned, I'm feeling slicker and faster on my 28mm M+'s, Teef mentions it's like riding through treacle isn't it? - MacB resists thoughts of inflicting personal injury on Teef, mainly coz he's too big.

TheClaud - MacB has a pleasant chat with the lady for a couple of miles on Saturday morning. The bike is now in final incarnation with 23mm road tyres. Coincidentally TC has assisted in getting MacB's bike over a gate on exiting Gatwick. Even though bike has 2 bottles, saddle pack and bar bag TC makes comment on how light it was. MacB doesn't wish to offend but at that moment feels a strong sense of love for TC.

Dan B

Disengaged member
MacBludgeon said:
Coincidentally TC has assisted in getting MacB's bike over a gate on exiting Gatwick. Even though bike has 2 bottles, saddle pack and bar bag TC makes comment on how light it was.
Yes, it's not the stereotypical CTC ride, is it?

ChrisKH

Guru
"Starting the return leg to London ChrisKH was leading us out of Southend, setting a pace that almost had me crying..."

Apologies mate, I had Aperitif behind me and thought you were cast from the same vein (which I now know you are). I also forgot that I only had ten miles more to go and you all had at least 30-50, if not more. But you got your revenge (albeit, not intentionally) on FNrttc I promise you. I will never eat a huge Victoria Sponge slice and an exta large cappuccino before attempting that hill again. Look at topcat's picture of me; that's pain written on my face. :smile:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Being aspi, opinionated, and with a tendency to 'black dogs' I often struggle with the social interaction side of life and can bore/offend people for england if I get on one of my hobby horses. This is why you'll often find me riding on me todd just off the back of the group I'm following. Riding "alone in the group" in the cone of silence makes a nice change from my professional and personal life where I feel I'm expected to lead all the time. and I think it takes a few runs with any group to feel like you've paid your dues and belong....

"conversation pace" seems to vary hugely with the fitness of the person who engages you in the conversation. on my first FNRttC (Whitstable last year) I couldn't sustain conversation until after faversham when the pace had dropped a bit. Last time out to Whitstable (the flatter version) Simon attempted twice to engage me in conversation regarding routes in the arun valley whilst we were climbing a (gentle) slope; all I could muster was an incoherent mumble.

this time I actually managed a bit of banter on the climb up the beacon with TimO and others and had enough lungs to be able to call down imprecations on ilovebikes head as he passed me for the second time grinning from ear to ear.....

.....which is what I've been doing since getting home on Saturday

Wheeledweenie

Über Member
I was the blonde newbie in the pink top and I had a great time (apart from the humiliation of watching a teenager come past me twice while I walked up the beacon!). I'm totally inspired, thanks again.

Wheeledweenie

Über Member
Aha! I knew I was actually super fabulous and he could only have done it if he was freakishly good!

Oh and I agree about the conversational pace. I started out being able to chat but it all went hideously breathy after Gatwick. Genteel it may have been but attractive it was not.

Andrij

Über Member
Devasted that I had to bail at the last minute. :sad: But these things do happen.

I'm glad that Angela-Marie had such a great time on the ride. :laugh:

After bailing last minute on two rides in a row I worry that I may need to grovel to get on the list for the next one ... ;)

Wheeledweenie said:
Aha! I knew I was actually super fabulous and he could only have done it if he was freakishly good!

Oh and I agree about the conversational pace. I started out being able to chat but it all went hideously breathy after Gatwick. Genteel it may have been but attractive it was not.

Ah! Welcome and well done. Bognor?

I did stop at the traffic lights on the way out of London Fields on Saturday evening. I had swapped bikes, hat, jersey etc, and a nice chap to my left said "Oh you were on the Brighton run last night weren't you?" - Yes etc..
I was just about to give/ask names and the lights changed, others started talking...we lost touch but hope to see you on another and, more importantly, how did you recognise me?
I'm guessing it was the unmistakeable fragrance - 'L'Air de Madeira' ;)

photos photos photos to follow...

Top Bottom