FNRttC FNRttC 3rd July to Brighton - the 'Genteel' ride 2009

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
P7041096.JPG

Bloody hell! - premonition or what? I was only testing the upload. Click on the Picasa image. Right click. Click on 'Copy image location'. Click on the little mountain icon at the top of this reply box. Ctrl V to enter the image you copied. Preview etc...

mike e

I will get better at this............................honest, in the meantime many apologies for all of the hassle!!

ChrisKH

Guru
TheDoctor said:
Well, that was most enjoyable. We didn't come up with the answer to Planes on a Treadmill, despite a quick experiment with a Ribble on a Travelator. Theclaud was most kind about my stroboscopic helmet , and Laumry helped in the final stages of Breakfast Acquisition, after I'd spent a few minutes heading for the wrong pier. Massive thanks to Sig, Appers, Greg and others for random natterage to distract me from the tiredness, and apologies to the guy with the Moulton for some quite shameless wheelsucking. :laugh:
There's bound to be loads of peeps I've missed out, so thanks to you all. :biggrin:

Apologies for doubting your lighting abilities Doc. All was made clear when you showed me your helmet. :smile::tongue:

TimO

Guru
Bugger, the image I posted earlier in the thread seems to be there now. Arse, like I said, some of these websites can be a bugger to work out exactly what URL you need to use. Much easier to use your own server. :laugh:

mike e

Was hoping to become a "northern branch" member of The Mouseketeers, will been computer inept preclude me from joining this elite bunch??

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Aperitif said:
Good to see you Tony, and my apologies for not remembering that you were doing the ride. I saw you in Costa and 'twigged'!:biggrin: I must consult the pre-flight list a bit more closely.

At the top of Mont Ditchoux you were in reflective mood...the sun reflecting off your beads of sweat from a challenging thought..."will there be enough breakfast by the time we arrive?":smile:

1oq1s2.jpg

Of course there was, and I hope you enjoyed the day. I did.

I did, although you'd maybe not think so from that photo of me! I was very hot and very very tired at that stage. Lack of sleep was catching up fast and I'd run out of chocolate. I really couldn't face an energy gelxx(

Well.
Arallsopp is the Chief Technical Officer of mouseketeer uk.plc. He would be the ideal judge.
But here's a tip Mike.
As you are admitting ineptness - it might be difficult to breakthrough. However, keep quiet about all these technicalities and you'll soon be nibbling the cheese of keteerism. If you don't show up at HPC on the night, but are sitting in the café in Bognor come daybreak, you have it made!:biggrin:

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
rich p said:
Did we not also say that Holland is probably too young a country for an invasion by the English:ohmy:
they're probably saying 'Chatham, Southwold and now Ditchling!'

A heavy week preparing for my company's appearance at a show in Earls Court meant that sleeps were limited prior to this FNR. Add in the hot weather all week and it was a weary me who wheeled his wistful way to HPC. I had passed this 'memorial' a couple of times - in Knightsbridge, outside Hyde Park - more abuse within the world, illustrated with candles.
p4p07.jpg

At HPC the buzz was evident - some absent in advance of the Dunwich Dynamo but many famliar faces, including topcat1. He is wearing so much Rapha and Assos these days that he felt it necessary to bring a bodyguard in the form of elder brother Mike.
357j695.jpg

Mike and Dave - ready to roll.
With the familiar faces came the new. After all, this had been 'puffed' as a genteel ride, where fragrant participants might combat the cheap talciness that usually prevails...
'Handbag' was not there - a shocker. (But I caught up with her the following evening, somewhere in Suffolk!)
I had brought mine along, stuffed with treats and general sustenance which was dispensed, eventually, in Gatwick Airport.
14jnfjs.jpg

So, after the usual 'bollards', off we pedalled - into the warm evening and warm traffic scudding around London - outwards, Southbound and away.
Champion chaser-downer Danilo was often to be found adjusting his nuts and manipulating his girlfriend's seat. She (Kadu? - not sure :biggrin:) was delightful and didn't mind chatting while he was doing it.
1zqqyl3.jpg

And then there was another paws in the proceedings...
2j5ciep.jpg

And we climbed onwards - here's 'Magentleman Tim' on the way up. Most people benefit from Tim's gentle touch along the way - and I mean that in the nicest possible way!
nco3nb.jpg

A restful view, showing the true grumpy Greg - ha ha! along with some 'fresh faces' - splendid!
16acdty.jpg

Awaiting the arrival of ilovebikes' third ascent - Greg is still looking for that taxi...a funny man!
16j3gx.jpg

And the rest? Well, plenty of reportage here which is lovely - the swimming, the breakfast, rich p turning up as company for the closing climb, (he always makes it look straightforward) and a decent chat in the sunshine chez Madeira.
I wanted to get back reasonably pronto - Dunwich beckoned. I had thought of buying a train ticket as 'insurance' - but didn't succumb. Clive, Mike, Marilyn and MacB were off via the scenic route, so I rushed to a telephone box and returned as mouseketeer A-man!

Home was:
Turn right at the Madeira.
A23 full blast at 45mph in places, 9mph in others. I had updated the software in the Garmin and it was all in 'Imperial' - interesting!
Thirst, heat, repeating breakfast, need drinks - saw a garage and refuelled.
2lxt30n.jpg

Even the bin was welcoming!
33wphk3.jpg

A23 quieter version through Crawley - I passed a Stadium I think?
I met this chap somewhere along the way too - I stuffed him in the hedge (at chest height approx) in this location.
2ykndw3.jpg

There is an old painted sign nearby advertising a Boomtown Rats concert in the field - any ideas where it was you locals?
A217 - dammit! Reigate Hill is a long way up! Note to Lee 1010 - let's stick to Shooters Hill eh?
A240 Tolworth, Kingston and homeward...at this point I dialled in 'home' just to see what my Garmin controller inside the plastic box had to say...I know to turn right but it was telling me left! I followed - out of interest, and soon I was off to Sunbury, towards Kempton Park etc... There's something strange going on it seems - taking me on a 30 minute detour - very odd.
Anyway, home in time to shower, wash kit, get some food and settle into the majority of the Lions last test. Then I laid my head in the dog basket and napped before waking, changing into CycleChat evening gown and heading off to London Fields for.
A little bike ride.
:angry:

Thanks for your company everyone...so little time, passing quickly...

And, of course, a ride in revered company - genteel, but revered...
30xc1m8.jpg

ChrisKH

Guru
mike e said:
Was hoping to become a "northern branch" member of The Mouseketeers, will been computer inept preclude me from joining this elite bunch??

Just say it's your map reading skills that are inept. That's a pre-requisite. :tongue:

Top Bottom