FNRttC: About

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Shadow

Shadow

Guards are for wimps ....

I've never been ashamed to inherent wimpiness....!!!

(never understood all this MTFU/HTFU malarkey................yet!!)

U

User482

Thank you for the lesson Rev Greg - I always pay attention to those more experienced than I.

However, surely they must keep one, if not dry, drier than nothing?
They stop the front wheel jetting water at your feet, and the rear wheel jetting water at your arse.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
They stop the front wheel jetting water at your feet, and the rear wheel jetting water at your arse.
They might well do, but we really should check with bonj for chapter and verse on the efficacy of mudguards :biggrin:

Fab Foodie

Also good for deflecting small stones from face and keeping the cow-muck off you on farm roads.

And cow-muck off your frame, drivetrain, inner workings of your brake mechs, drinking bottles, saddle underside, baggage etc!

zigzag

Veteran
my commuter was in it's own habitat on saturday morning: mudguards, excellent disc brakes and brooks saddle to keep my bum happy. furthermore it was ten minute jobbie to clean the bike when it dried out at home - went over with the brush and lubed the chain - no hard-to-clean grey gunk on the wheels or the frame. i also remembered how superior i feel on wet commutes when most are riding on tiptoes :becool:.

(for the moment i've tried to imagine how'd i look on my mudguardless racer that saturday morning - :sad:)

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Ironically I spent 15 mins taking the 'guards and rack off the light tourer this evening so I can, fingers crossed, get it, and my MTB in the back of the Saab. Along with our luggage. Of course the lovely Helen is sitting up front with me. Will the 'guards stay at home or come along? If I leave them I insult the rain gods, if I take them, the sun god will be angry. Choices, choices....

As to them keeping you drier, yes they do in situations where dryness stands a chance of prevailing. But otherwise once you are wet you are wet. Once truly wet I'm not sure the degree of wetness makes much odds. But I am sure the amount of crap sprayed over your gear, and your bike is important.

Of ocurse one can always stay home when it rains!

Shaun

Founder
My rear one is the ultimate insult - faux carbon plastic held on with tie-wraps to the seat stays of my Roubaix carbon frame ... mmwwhhahahahahah :laugh:

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
They do if it has stopped raining, but the road is still wet.

The main purpose of 'guards, however, is to annoy Dell. For full effect, they should be fitted to a steel touring bike, along with an abundance of luggage. And a Brooks (though I draw the line at that).

Oh dear... Bar the brooks.. Am not that old for one, yet..

Fab Foodie

my commuter was in it's own habitat on saturday morning: mudguards, excellent disc brakes and brooks saddle to keep my bum happy. furthermore it was ten minute jobbie to clean the bike when it dried out at home - went over with the brush and lubed the chain - no hard-to-clean grey gunk on the wheels or the frame. i also remembered how superior i feel on wet commutes when most are riding on tiptoes :becool:.

(for the moment i've tried to imagine how'd i look on my mudguardless racer that saturday morning - :sad:)

My mudguardless racer looks a mess ... still :blush:
But Fri Night/Sat morning there was just sooo much water about from all directions that in terms of ultimate rider wetness I don't think mudguards would have made such difference. You'd have been hard pressed to separate out mudguarded riders and non-mudguarded from the soggy dogs in the cafe.

Riding my short commute to work on a drizzley morning, I'd take the mudguarded hack.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
It is amazing how bikest some people can be about a certain small wheel bike. Though I was having similar feelings after a 4[sup]th[/sup] puncture near Framlington due to a side wall blow out on Sunday morning!

I don't suppose you count as a "clueless" Bromptoneer! I know that in the warmth of the garage the Brompton is a bit of a faff (though no ore) to dismantle, and the tyres are a bit awkward to get off. Trying to do it in the rain would add a layer of complexity, and I think a fourth puncture would have me phoning for a cab.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I think that the fancy self-adhesive patches are a boon for Bromptonistes - it's true that I've only ever had the one puncture on mine (thanks to Schwalbe Marathon tyres!) but that was fixed Dutch stylee in five minutes.

frank9755

Cyclist
As to them keeping you drier, yes they do in situations where dryness stands a chance of prevailing. But otherwise once you are wet you are wet. Once truly wet I'm not sure the degree of wetness makes much odds. But I am sure the amount of crap sprayed over your gear, and your bike is important.

I sense there is a bit too much religion in mudguard debates for my liking so I'll keep this brief!

My experience of riding in sustained heavy rain and on wet roads on three significant occasions over the last year is that my mudguards have kept me dry and comfortable while those riding with me without mudguards have been wet, dirty, miserable and very cold! While I obviously prefer it to be dry, unlike many people who don't use mudguards, I don't particularly dislike riding in rain.

As is often the case, User482 explains it most clearly above and McShroom provides additional colour! I disagree with Greg's statement because mudguards prevent parts of you from getting wet which do not tend to get wet directly from the rain.

The longer the ride, the more important it is to stay dry. There is an article by an American mag which tried to do some analysis on correlations between bike set-up and success in completing PBP. They found that the biggest single predictor of whether someone had to abandon the, famously wet, 2007 PBP was whether they had mudguards or not.

It's personal choice but I do feel a little bit uncomfortable when beginners are coerced to dispense with mudguards. Obviously, badly fitted bike parts are a hazard but mudguards, like wheels, tyres, chains, gears and brakes, can be fitted properly before the ride rather than having to be ripped off. You don't need mudguards if you live in California, Southern France or Italy but not using them in Northern Europe is putting fashion above practicality.

Top Bottom