FNRttC: About

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuartG

slower but further
They found that the biggest single predictor of whether someone had to abandon the, famously wet, 2007 PBP was whether they had mudguards or not.
Do you have a link for that?

I would have thought the stronger riders would be less likely to be mudguarded (wimped!!). Hence this result is surprising unless the analysis tried to account for that. And the devil is the accounting as Arthur Andersen might say ...

U

User482

Apropos of nothing, I really miss doing the FNRttC! Even the sodden Brighton run sounded fun.

I've entered tentative negotiations with Mrs R, and am hoping to get a pass for one, in the autumn.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Apropos of nothing, I really miss doing the FNRttC! Even the sodden Brighton run sounded fun.

I've entered tentative negotiations with Mrs R, and am hoping to get a pass for one, in the autumn.
the resolution is clear - Mrs R. should be persuaded to join us!

frank9755

Cyclist
Do you have a link for that?

I would have thought the stronger riders would be less likely to be mudguarded (wimped!!). Hence this result is surprising unless the analysis tried to account for that.

Stuart, I can't think where you've got this idea that strong cyclist = no mudguards...
The pros fit them when training on wet days and I don't recall seeing many people without them on Bryan Chapman!

Here's the link to the article, which is in Bicycle Quarterly:

This is the key paragraph (from p22):

From the onset of this survey, we had planned to examine a specific set of problems that might be related to water spray from the wheels: problems with feet, knees, Achilles tendon, seat and overall cold/hypothermia. In this more specific analysis, the differences were highly significant:
Among riders with no fenders or only a single fender, 12.2% did not finish PBP due to one of these specific problems. Among riders with two fenders, only 5.3% did not finish the ride due to these problems, even though many of the riders with two fenders used clip-on fenders that provided only limited protection, and even though not all of these problems are attributable to road spray.

This finding suggests that riders without fenders or with only one fender were more than twice as likely to develop problems due to road spray. If this interpretation is correct, then well-designed fenders could be a factor determining whether a significant number of randonneurs finish PBP or abandon the ride.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Hey great news, Mrs R's first FNRttC and she's already volunteered to tow the baby trailer!
:biggrin: :biggrin:

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
My brother in law owns a tandem. *strokes chin*
Steve - I started 'cycling' as a babe in arms in a sidecar beside my parents' tandem. Start the little perishers early!

received this the other day

Just also to let you know that G***** and I are doing a cycling holiday in Greece for 2 weeks in the island of Samos.

Its going to be very mountainous!!!! Ditchling Beacons is no comparison to the hills of Greece.

Since we did the ride last year with your group, we have been to a few cycling tourings!

We always wanted to let you know that the bike rides we did with your Team and the Martlets has introduced to the world of adventure cycling!
smile.gif

Thanks again

take a bow, peeps!

Top Bottom