FNRttC FNRttC Christmas Ride " Reach for the Stars' Monday 28th December 2015

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
It's probably fair to say that Bromptons aren't cool any more.

burning-heretic.jpg

kimble

Veteran

A Brompton (even a titanium one without enough gears) weighs more than a duck...

kimble

Veteran
My 8 speed Bickerton conversion is lighter than a 3 speed Brompton. And I can honk on it!
Are Bromptons honk-resistant? Mine obviously didn't get the memo. It does weigh about as much as a fully laden badger, though, and certainly isn't cool.

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Dears

What a fab day out! Big thanks to @AKA Bob for factfulness and @mmmmartin for keeping us all together.

The Freewheeling contingent (apart from moi) was composed of one 'newbie' Peter of a year's riding and 3 lapsed cyclists who have recently rediscovered their cycling mojos, Chris and Kerry D and the long-suffering Mrs FF..

IMG_3600.JPG

We departed Abingdon at 0830 and headed to Paulos Cafe for a brunch, but sadly it was closed. We parked-up close by and pedaled towards HPC keeping an eye out for a suitable eaterie. As it happened as we started the drag up to Notting Hill Gate, Peter P*nctured fortunately just outside of giraffe cafe. 2 birds sorted with one stone.

IMG_3603.JPG

We also learned not to lean bikes against trees on regular dog walking routes ....

IMG_3602.JPG

Replete and repaired a pleasant preamble through Hyde Park saw us at HPC in good time to meet many old friends and begin a ride with a certain familiar and comforting feel to it. It's at this point I must completely apologise to @User ... attempting to introduce him to Mrs FF my mind went completely blank and for some reason introduced him as 'ian' .... if I AM develop dementia (and this feels increasingly likely) I will at least be able to pinpoint with some accuracy (if I can remember) when it started ... The look says it all ....

IMG_3605.JPG

The ride was just great! The only problem being how many layers to remove in the warmth of a December afternoon. Whilst busy in only a few places the route took us on a lovely and peaceful tour of London particularly the City end. Much was learnt, good chat prevailed en-route and sights of splendour revealed. The Bicycle sculpture being an unexpected joy. Mrs FF as a London girl was surprised how much of her city lay undiscovered. Timing was perfect and All Bar One served us well with food and ale but also as a suitable finish point; rewarding us with fair views of the tallness we had come to see as the sun settled and night encroached.

IMG_3622.JPG

Goodbyes said we departed on a route that took in the embankment and all it's glory, Parliament Square, Victoria, Hyde Park and on to Shepherds bush. After a quantity of Sauvingnon blanc, Mrs FF took on the demeanor of one of Lucas Bruynelle's Ally-cat racers and fair stomped-along the route home. As we cycled Chris D mentioned that a night ride around traffic-free London would be great and lo and behold that wish seems to have been granted for next year! Hurrah - we're in!

IMG_3620.JPG

Big thanks finally to those who shared and communicated the joy of a Fridays 'happening', certainly a few of us will hope to make it to Southend and maybe Mrs FF the summer Brighton ride. The talk on the way home was of a seriously good day out for all, of people dressed in tweeds, of @Mice looking cooler than cooool and of bikes ancient and new.

IMG_3619.JPG

Thanks Fridays, thanks.
FF

Last edited:

kimble

Veteran
Not that I'm suggesting that honking a Brompton is something that people - especially me - should attempt in polite company. Silly idea. You're supposed to sit up and twiddle with an air of pretend effortlessness (recumbent riders have some advantage here, on account of all the practice), so random pedestrians can accuse you of having an electric motor.

(For full effect, try not to gasp "No it bloody isn't!" when they do. I'm still working on that bit.)

9 The Four Legged Leaders.jpg
Thank you @Fab Foodie - very kind! It was a great day - very big thanks to @mmmmartin and @AKA Bob for co-hosting such a brilliant ride. It gave me time to reflect on how The Fridays have had such an enormous effect on my life - and so here begins the tale....

The power of the pedal had never been so strong. Out of all the days in the week, the ones that matter most to me are the Fridays. Memories of my first ever midnight ride in 2010 when I had been carried along on a carpet of camaraderie that had taken me distances I had never, ever thought possible on a bicycle filled my mind. 50 flat miles to Southend one month followed by 72 (nearly) flat miles to Whitstable the next. Hillier routes to Brighton, Bognor, Southwold all became breakfast destinations from midnight starry starts at Wellington Arch. All echoed with the immortal words “Hills? There is No Shame in Walking” ringing in my ears................

http://www.the5milecyclist.com/apps/blog/show/43710745-that-fridays-feeling-at-christmas is the blog
and the pics are here: http://www.the5milecyclist.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=15943915

3e Ditchling Beacon.jpg

1a Wellington Arch.jpg

10 Never mind the bollards.jpg

24 Awaiting the Green Light.jpg

35b Cycling in the City.jpg

It was a glorious day.

Happy New Year everyone!

Mice

Superb collection of photos and film here. @AKA Bob is liaising with Orange Brompton about putting it up on the website. :okay:

Last edited:
U

User10571

Wonderful.
Thanks for the images - I wish I had been there - sadly (not really) the North Kent Coast (from which I have just returned) beckoned......

U

User10571

Thanks.
I am moved.
Circumstances dictated otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tim Hall

What a great ride. Random thoughts/highlights:

Iris. Cute or what?
Who was the finely turned out bloke of the fixed gear Holdsworth? Nice bike.
As we went past the back end of UCL I was able to point out to my son the location where two of my bikes were stolen when I was a Penniless Student Oaf.
@Mice. Elegant as ever.
What happened to @topcat1? Seriously shiny stainless bike there.
@arallsopp, fantastic commuting tales!
Did anyone else see the beaver on Bishopsgate?

.Finally got round to putting up a few snaps.

The captions on my photos will give away that I've been searching online quite a bit. But that's what a Fridays' ride in town does for you, it opens your eyes and raises curiosity. The discovery of a 'The Priory' clinic with the Cheesegrater in the backdrop was one that stood out.

The Ai Weiwei's bicycle sculpture in front of the Gherkin was a highlight also. Although the piece is called 'Forever', it's not really forever. It's just the brand of bikes, and not forever in London. It will be cycled off to a new location at some stage.

I knew absolutely nothing about the Crossbone Graveyard. Might have to visit the gardens one day, followed up by lunch in the Duck and Waffle at Heron Tower. That would be good to look back (or down!) to all those tall buildings Titus was talking about.

Thanks to @AKA Bob and @mmmmartin for organising. It was great to see so many familiar faces. And I'm looking forward to the 2016 night rides so that I can get to know some of the new faces.

Happy New Year Fridays! Here's to a cycle-plenty 2016!

The photos are here: MyPhotos

IMG_4574.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom