FNRttC FNRttC Christmas Ride " Reach for the Stars' Monday 28th December 2015

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hatler

Guru
It's good to see what a bunch of rule followers we all are.

View: https://youtu.be/JmLtPksEnZI

U

User10571

Pippa and self came close to losing our two Van Nics at that very same spot a few years ago.
Two naughty boys had cut through one lock and made a start on the second before I spotted them and had words.
(I won't go into what was said - suffice it to say they took their tools and left)
I've not refreshed myself in that particular hostelry since - not without there being someone on full-time sentry duty outside.

frank9755

Cyclist
Was largely my fault as I was only using a pound-shop lock (carried for lightness on my ride in the morning) and had stayed after all the other bikes had left (surprise). I was lucky they weren't quicker, and that the head chef from ABO was sitting outside on his break watching, so will be more careful next time.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Interesting. I had rather stupidly assumed this was a good spot because the bikes could be seen from the bar. Perhaps in future we could have dedicated bike-watchers, just as when we go to Hull.
(Which we won't do this year but I'd very much like to do it next year as it is a cracking ride)

OP
OP
AKA Bob

AKA Bob

Riding a folding bike far too much of the time...
Sadly Bike Theft around London Bridge and Tooley Street is pretty endemic. Good locks are essential anywhere in London sadly from experience.

Reading CTC had a spate of thefts on their rides which were quickly stopped b not publishing exact stops so a new post of Bike Marshall sounds very sensible.

U

User10571

Indeed.
The two naughty boys I encountered didn't strike me as random opportunists.
ie: Two on one bike (what were they planning on doing - ditching the $h!t bike and riding off on 2 x Ti?) and tooled up with robust cable cutters - such as one carries as a matter of habit in Londres Sud.
My guess is, they'd been round once, clocked the shiny, gone home and come back equipped.
TBF, the locks deployed on that occasion were more pound shop that Fahgettaboudit - lessons learned....

mmmmartin

Random geezer
a new post of Bike Marshall sounds very sensible.
we could take it in turns. Unless it means standing outside in the freezing rain for two hours, in which case I volunteer @User for the post.

U

User10571

Boys, boys, boys.....
Shirley this can be shared out in bite sized chunks.

Hmmm?

With chocolate coin (or beer) as reward.

Tim Hall

Parking the bikes indoors seemed to be a winning strategy. Bromptons are still immensely cool when you do that.

Not that I'd want to ride to Hull on one.
Whilst not a Brompton, I did the York to Hull FNRTTC on a Trek folder (rebadged Dahon) a couple of years ago. (I bought it off jogler, bless him). Or was it the destination rather than mode of transport that is the problem?

kimble

Veteran
Whilst not a Brompton, I did the York to Hull FNRTTC on a Trek folder (rebadged Dahon) a couple of years ago. (I bought it off jogler, bless him). Or was it the destination rather than mode of transport that is the problem?

York to Hull overnight: However you play it, it's going to involve delightful flat stuff (humour me, it's nowt but rolling hills here in Middle Earth) and a whole lot of sky. It's just rude not to take that lying down.

(Mind you, I did the original Cleethorpes ride onna upwrong and was blown the whole way there, which wasn't bad.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom