FNRttC FNRttC to Brighton - November 27th 2009

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
TimO said:
The guys planning on cycling west along the coast are going to be utterly thrashed, if they manage it. Just cycling a few hundred feet from the cafe to the roundabout, along Brighton front was very hard work, there were some big breakers on the sea front, and the wind was blowing in.

They didn't. I got the 10.33 train (to Southampton- I got off at Cosham), they joined a couple of stops along after deciding to bail. Brighton seafront was indeed horrendous. 50 miles of that would have been insane....

I can only agree that the Dunkirk spirit/British seaside holiday mentality was much in evidence. Despite (like everyone else) being very wet indeed, it was kind of fun in its own perverse way. And there was the reward of Sig's splendid baking as well!! I think even the first-timers weren't put off from returning.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
home. dropped the troops of en route at surrey quays (first-timer-cousin-dan) and chislehust (mistapreston, he of double punctures) then wobbled around the map until the trip computer indicated 160.96km

handbag

an epic, it was the wettest and coldest ride ever I've done but I must say I did enjoy it. lovely smily people, ever helpful TEC and the way-finders, thank you all and hope you won't catch cold, thanks again Simon and see you all next year....

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Kat,
long time no see. How are you?
I was going to do this ride but thought best to rest up after an accident earlier this week.
See you soon.
Ian.

handbag said:
an epic, it was the wettest and coldest ride ever I've done but I must say I did enjoy it. lovely smily people, ever helpful TEC and the way-finders, thank you all and hope you won't catch cold, thanks again Simon and see you all next year....

Well done everyone - sounds like an epic!
Last night, as I thought of the Hyde Park crew, it was light jumper weather in Paris, as I watched Jonny Wilkinson put paid to Stade Francais with his magic boot. Today, grey but warm enough to be in t shirt (and jeans, from time to time, of course) and I have arrived back here to flipping rain.
Hope there were no casualties en route...
There must be haggard face photos somewhere...letsbe avenue. :sad:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
!

Further thoughts:
The rain seemed of almost Biblical proportions, but apart from the permanently squelchy feeling in my shoes it wasn't actually that uncomfortable (not pleasant of course, but...). I don't think overshoes are designed to cope with three or four hours of such saturated rainfall. My gloves, shoes and overshoes are going to be damp for a day or two I think...

Rather more troubling was my front light problem. What I use is a Cateye EL320 (my regular commute light) for the first part of the ride on better-lit roads, then I switch to the Hope Vision 1 for the sticks. The Cateye, as on the ride to Whitstable last time, decided to flake out and go very faint, though there should have been plenty of life in the (recently charged) batteries. Not a problem, I went to the Hope earlier on. Until it too decided to play up. It flashes once before powering down straight off. Time and again. Aaargh! I switch the Cateye back on, and it promptly leaps out of its mounting, to be smashed and run over. So I have no front light at all at this point....fortunately Hummers lent me a head mount light, which proved for than sufficient for the remaining darkness. I tried swapping over the Hope's batteries with the ones that had been in the Cateye, and my spares, no dice. I can only assume the wet and cold had an effect- might have left the battery cap just a fraction loose, it might have been as simple as that. Fortunately, back at home it now seems to be back to full health, and I'm going to give all the somewhat problematic Duracell rechargeables (the Camlink ones in the Hope have been A1 before this morning) a complete charge/burn cycle to hopefully bring them up to proper operating performance. Already bought a new EL320 ready for Monday's commute.

Apart from that, despite the weather (those who bailed early were perfectly justified) it was yet another splendid night/morning, though I can't say I enjoyed the standing around necessitated by the numerous mechanicals (or my own chain drops..). Still more lovely people to meet (nice to see Hummers and the others from the Pompey area, amongst others). The Madeira and the Cabin Cafe both did excellent work, again. And as ever, sterling work from Simon, Adrian, TECs and wayfinders (didn't do any myself this time, but I must confess my enthusiasm last night was dampened somewhat, pun intended). Despite so many regulars being absent, it went as smoothly as it could under the circumstances.

Edit: Whoops. Forgot, excellent route, though some of those climbs were rather hard work (the Beacon would of course have been worse....).

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
handbag said:
an epic, it was the wettest and coldest ride ever I've done but I must say I did enjoy it.

It was great riding with you (and the handbag). You made an awesome recovery from drenched and downbeat under the arches to arrive at brighton full of cheer!
Its the bag, I tell you. Magic fairy dust in it.

Or a change of socks:smile:

handbag

I'm alright thanks, sorry to hear about the accident hope it's somewhat minor and get well soon. nice hat BTW.

ianrauk said:
Kat,
long time no see. How are you?
I was going to do this ride but thought best to rest up after an accident earlier this week.
See you soon.
Ian.

handbag

same to you Andy, and thanks for your company. I am currently enjoying the feel of nice warm dry socks...:sad: looking forward to see your vid upload. catch up soon.

arallsopp said:
It was great riding with you (and the handbag). You made an awesome recovery from drenched and downbeat under the arches to arrive at brighton full of cheer!
Its the bag, I tell you. Magic fairy dust in it.

Or a change of socks:smile:

saoirse50

Veteran
So glad I decided to do this ride despite having a few doubts after looking at the various forecasts beforehand. Despite the weather living up to the forecast (and some) the company and the egg sandwich at the Cabin made up for it in spades. The wayfinders and TECs deserve a special mention. Once on the road and moving the cold and wet were manageable- but to (voluntarily) stand around while various parts of your body freeze is real dedication and selflessness. Nice to meet many new faces. I don't fancy Mike's chances when those feisty young women from Hull get hold of him! I think they were expecting a balmy ride under a full moon- but you know that would be just be too predictable- But I hope we see them again- they were great fun.
And, finally, thanks again Simon.
Jane

Tim Hall

I too thought about binning it as we swept hrough Crawley. Turn left instead of right and I'd be tucked up in my scratcher. Except I didn't have a key. I did get asked by one of the Heselteenies (wearing the brightest pink shorts) if my house also featured a spare bed, hot shower and warm towels.

I did go through a short phase of planning alternative accommodation for the Northern Belles but wondered how Mrs. Hall would react if I turned up with four bedraggled beauties at stupid o'clock.

But, yes, overall, great fun. Mind you as I tried to follow Simon up Portnoy's ComplaintPortnall's Lane with lungs exploding, head spinning and calves complaining it wasn't so enjoyable.

VAR tyre levers rock. Thrice I whipped mine out, once after Simon asked did I have tool like Wowbagger, once when I asked Pippa how hard she liked it (cue sniggering from User10571) and once only minutes after we'd set off from the Cabin Cafe.

And another thing: Quick release skewers - you don't have to remove them. One count of lost spring (washed away in a torrent) and one count of searching for the knob suggests this is a practice to be avoided.

And Pippa. "Alchoholic Chocolate" she said. Mmmm. Food groups, innit. We carefully looked after scoffed the parcel you bequeathed on your departure. Mmmm.

The biggest applause goes to Katarzyna. A steady pace, spun gold hair, a winning smile. Until last night her longest ride was 7 miles, or so I understood. Right in at the deep end I think.

A few photos will follow once I've dried the camera out.

redjedi

Über Member
Tim Hall said:
VAR tyre levers rock. Thrice I whipped mine out, once after Simon asked did I have tool like Wowbagger, once when I asked Pippa how hard she liked it (cue sniggering from User10571) and once only minutes after we'd set off from the Cabin Cafe.

And another thing: Quick release skewers - you don't have to remove them. One count of lost spring (washed away in a torrent) and one count of searching for the knob suggests this is a practice to be avoided.

Thanks again for your help Tim, I would never have managed to change my tube and pumped up my tyre with my arm still no where near 100%.
Those tyre levers do indeed rock, unlike my park tools one which snapped while trying to remove my tyre. I will have a set of these on the next ride, and I will practise removing my wheel without taking out the skewer :sad:
And what a time to get my first flat on one of these rides :smile: It couldn't have been in the summer, in the light, basking in the sun. No, it had to be at 4 o'clock in the morning in the soaking wet, with an injured arm (which is very stiff and sore now).

And why are my tyres always so difficult to change? I repaid Karma and helped Sig with her flat just a few miles from the end, and even I managed to get her tyre back on without too much trouble. Matt, like a knight in shining armour, made a timely arrival to finishing off the inflating for me :sad:. At least I'm not still using Marathon pluses, we may have still been there now.

And as much as I wanted to ride back, I was dragged to the station to get a train, I even had a dry pair of socks ready :tongue::sad:
The train ride once again past quickly, as I perfected my sleep standing technique.

As always it was a pleasure to ride with such a good group of people.

I think we need to change Handbag's name to Soggy Sock. She may have learnt now that changing one sock then putting it straight back into a wet shoe before heading back into the rain, is probably not the smartest idea :smile:

Top Bottom