FNRttC FNRttC to Shoreham, April 19 2024. Ride report

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Am I correct in understanding that unnecessary adornments on bicycles , such as mudguards for example, and things that rattle were discouraged on FNRs?

No, not really.

Way back in the day Simon, the founder and benevolent dictator of the Fridays, had a bit of a bee in his bonnet about mudguards, but no one really took any notice of him on that point. I know I certainly didn't.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
No, not really.

Way back in the day Simon, the founder and benevolent dictator of the Fridays, had a bit of a bee in his bonnet about mudguards, but no one really took any notice of him on that point. I know I certainly didn't.

I must have taken him seriously…

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Am I correct in understanding that unnecessary adornments on bicycles , such as mudguards for example, and things that rattle were discouraged on FNRs?

Simon didn't have a problem with mudguards (or anything else) per se, more 'stuff that looks like it's going to be a problem even before it is'.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Simon didn't have a problem with mudguards (or anything else) per se, more 'stuff that looks like it's going to be a problem even before it is'.

The problem was, he specifically singled out mudguards as potential problem causers on the fnrttc website.

Lose everything that you don’t really, really need. See those mudguards, that rack, those panniers? Have them off. Mudguards are intent on working loose and rubbing against your wheel. If they’re not doing that they’re rattling. [...] Racks and panniers are the work of the devil...

1713710137670.png

I rode happily with a (secure, non rattly) rack and mudguards without the slightest problem. It's unfortunate that the text above might have put some people off. But had it not been for Simon's force of personality the whole thing wouldn't have existed so I'm not going to criticise. And for all I know perhaps mudguards did cause a lot of problems.

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Anyone enthused by @StuAff 's write-up, who fancies trying a Fridays night ride should go to https://www.fnrttc.org.uk/

Here they will find a ride calendar, background information and a complete absence of mudguard-related opinions.

Next night ride is London-Whitstable on 24 May

If you're outside London there are Manchester (31 May) Cambridge (16 Aug) York (30 Aug) and Bristol (27 Sep) ride starts.

yostumpy

Veteran
They are now known as "Dangle Mugs". Do keep up!

I think trendy folks...(ooo, that's me..) have them for 'coffeneering', as opposed to coffineering, with is another pastime entirely.

edit, I have just googled 'dangle mugs', I had NO idea that they were actually a 'thing'. Whoa, hipster alert!

Last edited:

Landsurfer

Veteran
FNRttC … ?? Give us Northerners a clue …

hatler

Guru

I think his specific issue was clip-on mudguards, and I'm given to understand they do rattle.
Simon never once levelled any accusatory eyebrows at my persistent use of mudguards, rack and pannier. Hell, one time I carted Susie's top in my pannier for at least half the ride.

hatler

Guru
Good grief. My first FNRttC in about three years.

No excuses, simply got out of the habit / life behaviours changed during covid.

I no longer work in the office, so my bike fitness is down the pan, and if I'm honest I was slightly worried that a whole FNRttC ride would be too much / too far for me. There's nothing like having the 'obvious but you'd rather not be made embarrasingly aware of it' fact happening so obviously that you have to acknowledge it, and that happening in a crowd.

It was therefore with a little trepidation that I rocked up at the Southbank. Would I recognise anyone ? Would anyone recognise me ?

I needn't have worried - many familiar faces and it felt like I hadn't been away.

Great route, lots of (mostly) smooth tarmac and on many roads I'd never seen before. Getting our westing straight from Turners Hill was inspired - lots of quiet, only slightly descending roads kept the speed up.

I was waymarking at the crossing of the Nutfield Road just beyond where the two derailleur failures happened. I've had longer waymarking duties, but probably none as cold as that one. I was wearing a Fridays summer s/s, a yacf winterweight l/s and my Fridays soft shell on top. It wasn't enough. RideWithGPS has me there for 37 minutes. It felt a lot longer than that. When I was released I tore off to warm up but when I got to the right turn onto Prince of Wales Road I took pity on the waymarker there (Yorkshire accent (?) wearing red) and stopped to chat for 20 minutes. I headed back to check on progress and was given the green light by Greg for both of us to head to the scout hut. Phew.

What would we do without the Burstow Scouts I ask you.

By the time we left there the sky was lightening and the rest of the ride was superb.

Turners Hill was shorter than I remembered. (How does that work ? It's normally the other way round. Was it being daylight ?)

Route from there was ace. And having driven past the signs for the Wings Air Museum for 20 years and never having quite got round to going, it was fun to take that route and see that it does indeed exist.

Whoever the nutter from Putney in shorts (and no gloves) and on a Brompton was, you're a strong rider. We had great fun tearing along those lanes, just slight downhill - glorious.

Steyning was picture perfect, filmset-like. (Though I did spot the obligatory SUV driver collecting his daily newspaper. A fine use of resource if ever there was one. (And no, I didn't catch which newspaper, though I think we can likely rule out its being The Grauniad.))

Breakfast was, as Stu said, quite exceptional. Though personally, I don't see the point of a baked bean ramekin. The sausage was exactly the sort of thing I always wanted The Madeira to serve (but, alas - many of you know the story of that one).

Sat with the Putney Bromptoneer, Ransos, the purple yacf top wearer and the American chap with the pigtail and A N Other (but he was one away from me to the right and for the life of me can't remember who it was) and the yarns rattled out. (I can't remember when I was last on a ride with Ransos.) Again, it felt like I'd never been away.

As the crowd thinned there was just Sonia, Greg, Shadow and Ransos left. Beers started happening. (Bongo beer though ? WTF ?)

And then, before we knew it it was 11am and we all had places to be, so scattered to the four winds, Greg, Sonia and Ransos to the station (Southwick or Shoreham ?), Shadow to the West and me to the East to my brother's place in Brighton, and then on to the train home. Back home by about 4pm, 5 mins before Mrs hatler stepped through the door after her New Malden Velo ride to Windsor and back. Similarish distances but I'd been out of the house about four times longer !

I will be back.

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Would anyone recognise me ?
Have to admit I didn't. Well not fully. It was more "that's a face I've seen somewhere before, probably on one of these rides" than "That's the person I bought a wheel from about 12 years ago, and who sometimes supplied coffee at the bottom of Ditchling Beacon"

I'd like to say that I'll do better next time, but I probably won't. I'm rubbish with people.

The forecast was for a chilly ride. For once, the forecasters were correct. The plan was to wear a minimum amount of gear until the half way stop, hoping to stay warm until halfway before donning further layers. The plan worked fine. Until it didn’t. When I left home at 20:55, for a warming forty five minute ride to Shoreham station to catch the train to Victoria, it was 9°. The slowly moving dark clouds hid the ghoulish glowings of the moon. Looking positively, this should help keep the temperature up a couple of degrees, I thought.

Up to and under Wellington Arch, Constitution Hill barriered off, so along the adjacent wide cycle/ped path to Buck House where there was a maze of more barriers. More barriers at the entrance to Birdcage Walk. Ignored the red light at Horse Guards Road, barriered off to vehicular traffic. The erection of barriers was due to a twenty six mile run around the capital on sunday, I later discovered. Nutters those runners. Crossing Westminster Bridge I saw a couple of cyclists ahead. One seemed to be attired for a night ride. Pulling up alongside at the next lights, he turned and said “I know where you’re going.” Introductions made, he was down from Cheshire to visit his father who lived one stop up the line from my nearest train station.

I started at the back with Brizzell Steve (previously of this parish) and the Whispering Aussie, Greg, who was designated our All Upper for the ride. Quickly through The Old Vic junction lights - the usual “where are you going?” from peds - passed The Oval, not through Brixton as I was unreliably informed but along Clapham High Street, plenty of punters loitering around bar entrances, around the infamous Common and more backstreets to Tooting/Mitcham Commons. Over the soft chatter, the distinct call of a pair of tawny owls were heard. Through suburbia where at the WIndsor Inn at Carshalton (4°), a rider enquired if we were in Windsor. It seemed he was not being ironic. For the first time in many years I did not catch sight of a fox dashing across the road. Although one was noticed at the side road, no longer extant.

Up and down, up and down some more crossing the North Downs. The chilliness now much more apparent (3°). Warming up on ascents was quickly dissipated on the descents. The addition of a top layer would have been prudent. Wait a few more km, said the masochistic voice in my head. The chill and some unfamiliar routing made even the familiar roads seem new. Meanwhile, in the sky, the clouds had vanished and the almost full moon was now glowing brightly. The reluctant brain was telling me the price for this beauty was the temperature dropping.

Around half past three, the front section of the peloton rolled into The Edifice (1°). Fortunately I was in this section. For our first ride of the year, it was unusual that we had not been visited once by the puncture fairy. News then filtered through that there were two major rear derailleur incidents instead and the rest of the riders arrived.

Our estimable virgin Ride Leader, Jim, informed us we would depart Burstow at 05:00h, in ten minutes - the cue for more layers. Added full leg warmers (over the ¾ leg warmers), a winter jersey (between baselayer and FNRttC jacket) and overshoes (over full length angora socks inside shoes). These kept me toasty warm for the remainder of the ride, after the initial shock of leaving the scout hut.

As we left, the sky was lighter in the east than west. Dawn was approaching as we approached Turners Hill. Dan and I were discussing the route over the Scouts’ warming tea and sustenance and concluded we would avoid Turners Hill. That is why neither of us is a ride leader. The stretch from Turners Hill to Handcross is always enjoyable; mostly downhill, good views to the south, fields of yellowing rape ripening and this morning we were treated to a cacophony of birdsong, including a nightingale, a glorious chorus.

We rolled along the Sussex leafy lanes, through the double barrelled hamlets and villages of Lower Beeding, Monks Gate and Partridge Green. The scents from bluebells and wild garlic rose from the roadside. And even if the temperature had not actually risen, it felt like it had as the sky brightened (1°).

At Steyning, I suggested to @wanda2010 and Tandem Tim (previously of this parish) that if they wanted to avoid further hilliness, I would lead them along the pancakeness of the South Downs Link. Both quickly agreed this was a splendid idea; the Coombes road is gorgeous to ride, however, there are a couple of short, sharp bergs and both showed signs of struggling on the previous incline. The sun shone brilliantly, the sky an almost cloudless blue, the temperature now more comfortable (4°), a perfect climate to the finish.

We crossed the river, the last of the chicanes, flowed along the path like the river parallel and soon reached the Airshow Memorial on the east side of the Old Toll Bridge. Unlike the peloton ahead, we took the less scenic road through town to the Port Kitchen. Food was excellent (best lightly toasted bacon and sausage bap I’ve tasted for ages; the sausage was superb), the servers were cheerfully good and comfortable seating. Some criticism is due to the lack of draft beer and cider (sold out), a preponderance of 0° ABV cans, a lack of flexibility on the menu (they have toast, they have bacon but the system does not allow for a toasted bacon sandwich), the only eggs available are fried, expensive fizzy yellow beer (£4 for 330ml) and the manager’s drinks recommendations were poor. On the last point, perhaps she was showing her style of humour, maybe she did not like us or she did not read the memo that The Fridays were coming - unlike the friendly and helpful manager I met the previous weekend who showed disappointment she would not be working the shift when we would be arriving.

Suitably hydrated, not feeling the energy to tackle the bergs on Coombes Road, I rode back along the Downs Link to Steyning and the occasional close pass on the A 283 for the final portion of SMRbtH. A glorious ride, thanks Jim, Kim, waymarkers and the rest of The Fridays bunch.

Notes:
- recorded temperatures taken post-ride from old gizmo, unsure of its accuracy;
- award for Most Suitably Attired Legs must go to Mrs Tandem Tim for her dark, dark blue leggings festooned with silver and white stars and moons, most apropos;
- total 135 km is longest distance ridden since my titanium implant last summer.

Top Bottom