Footpaths that lead across farmers' fields

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 23692

The only point being that if the way is clear and clearly marked, I won't need to be standing in the middle of a flock of sheep wondering if I'm in the right field or not. I've been up a few in the Lakes and it is usually quite obvious where you need to go. GPS is also a wonderful invention :biggrin:

Even waymarking can get a tad contentious.

Some see it as proliferation of urban clutter in the countryside, whilst others see it an essential comfort blanket. And then you get landowners requesting them to help people cross their land and others actively remove them in the belief that the PROW will disappear if there are no signs. It's an art form trying to strike the balance and keep everyone happy.

Plus those 75mm discs make perfect target for idle hands with air riles.

MikeW-71

Veteran
having worked with cows of all ages, sexes, breeds, with and without caves etc etc on various farms with different approaches to handling the animals and organising i can say that just about any cow of a deccent size can kill and will turn on you in certain situations. so far i haven't been charged at by a cow and i hope not to be bad i have been knocked over and trampled by flocks of sheep before and even that is unpleasant enough! considering cow can weigh over a ton imagine having something like vauxhall corsa or peugeot 106 or 206 going at you pretty fast with the intention to get rid of you and it's not going to stop until it suddenly throws it's self at you, it's going to end pretty nasty!
On one BW across moorland here, I found a herd of cows standing around on it. With calves. Since the calves were well grown and not newborn, I figured I'd take it slow approaching and going through them. They were fine.

D

Deleted member 23692

On one BW across moorland here, I found a herd of cows standing around on it. With calves. Since the calves were well grown and not newborn, I figured I'd take it slow approaching and going through them. They were fine.
I know those coos! They are fine.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Had another go running around those footpaths and I took some photos.

bare field.jpg.JPG
It's not too difficult to work out where the footpath is, to be fair.

wheres the footpath 1.JPG

Where's it supposed to be here?

whats this growing - is it wheat or something.JPG

What's this? Is it important? Is it wheat, for instance?

wheres the footpath 2.JPG

No, still can't see a footpath. Should I run along the edge of the wood, to reduce the number of crops I run over, run around the whole field, or straight across the field where the OS map says the footpath should be, and where there is a footpath sign at the top. There is also a road that leads up to the farm. It is only a little out of the way, but I am not sure whether it is a private road. This farm has made some effort signing the other footpaths, although he has also put in a lot of gates. It is just this field where it's a bit of a mystery.

cant complain about that.JPG

Across the road and along a footpath on a different farm. Can't really complain about that, can I?

D

Deleted member 23692

In order of the photos

1, That's OK, assuming the obvious trod is the definitive line. It would have been better if the farmer had ran his quad across the field to mark the ROW, but it looks like the public have done it for him.

2, Again that's fine from a cropping point of view. Signage could be better to assist the public,m but there's nothing illegal there (yet)

3, It's cereal. It's fine for now but it should be cleared (sprayed off) from the PROW to a min width of 1m (footpath) or 2m (bridleway) when it starts to become an obstruction. That's not defined but usually taken to be 4"-6" high as good practice

4 it's on the verge of becoming obstructed, and spraying off should mark the line. that's actually a good example as the topography makes it difficult to see the far access point. Best go to your county council's website and they may have an online PROW map and check where the legal line is - that's the only line you have a legal right to be on. If you are 'trampling' crops on the definitive line then you are doing nothing wrong - it's the farmer who's at fault for planting on a highway.

5 That's perfect,

Last edited by a moderator:

young Ed

Veteran
@young Ed, I thought there was only two sex's when it came to cattle.
Unless you count the cows "bulling" as a seperate sex!
2 sexes, 3 sexes how ever many there are i have worked with them all! :tongue:
just remember when you have a bull in with the milking heard don't milk his rounded dangly thing!
Cheers Ed

young Ed

Veteran
@young Ed, I thought there was only two sex's when it came to cattle.
Unless you count the cows "bulling" as a seperate sex!
2 sexes, 3 sexes how ever many there are i have worked with them all! :tongue:
just remember when you have a bull in with the milking heard don't milk his rounded dangly thing!
Cheers Ed

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Google "definitive map" for whatever local authority covers the area. Most are online, although a few are still in the dark ages and require you to go to their offices to view the map. They show the lot, bridleways, foothpaths, definitive, permissive, etc.
That said, the caliber of PROW officers varies wildly and they're the ones you're relying on to get anything done.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
My cousin used to earn some money milking the neighbour's herd. I remember a bull named Noël! You only rounded up the cows with a tractor and even then you didn't feel safe, and Noël went into the milking parlour with the cows! I think he was sold again fairly promptly as he was a very grumpy aggressive bull!

classic33

Leg End Member
Google "definitive map" for whatever local authority covers the area. Most are online, although a few are still in the dark ages and require you to go to their offices to view the map. They show the lot, bridleways, foothpaths, definitive, permissive, etc.
That said, the caliber of PROW officers varies wildly and they're the ones you're relying on to get anything done.
That position is currently vacant in the local council. Another team handles all enquiries. Definitive list last updated 1995!

classic33

Leg End Member
As regards the situation in Ireland, the nearest being the afore mentioned Mass Paths. With an accent that stands out as not a native, let alone local, I've surprised many over the years by mentioning them when asked what I thought I was doing on what they thought was private land. You cannot be turned off them, they do not follow a straight line, will often take you via out of the way places. Nor can they be blocked. I've had the Guards called more than once, when found using one of these paths.
http://www.pilgrimchris.com/right-to-roam-is-it-time-for-an-irish-kinder-trespass/

Top Bottom