For a bit of holiday fun: your first bike.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
NOT the first, but the first I was photographed with whilst on holiday in France in 1987 aged 5 (it was a campsite hire bike).

I learned what brakes were on that wee bike via a ditch or two!:blush: :giggle:

What an ugly kid, eh?:

image.jpeg

Last edited:
NOT the first, but the first I was photographed with whilst on holiday in France in 1987 aged 5 (it was a campsite hire bike).

I learned what brakes were on that wee bike via a ditch or two!:blush: :giggle:

What an ugly kid, eh?:

View attachment 126843
:eek::eek:
I was 21 in '87 and Coventry won the FA cup :blink:

Firestorm

Veteran
A Blue 18 in wheel Viking , it has a sloping double cross bar which i was mocked for it being a girls bike, although it was marketed as Unisex. Thar would have been about 1966
Next up was an Elswick hopper in green and gold (24 in wheels)
then a 2nd hand Sun racer with 5 gears ?

First 'proper' bike that I remember was a purple 'racer' (as we all called them then), with full-length steel mudguards, also in purple
Sturmey-Archer 3-speed
I think it was a Raleigh - may be wrong though
Can't find a picture, despite variously worded searches

My next was an Elswick Mistral, when I was about 13
That came from a shop that was at the back of Pontefract Castle, on BaileyGate (later to be a small ASDA, then an Indian restaurant, now a flooring supplier?)

Like this, found online;
PICT3311.jpg

Jimidh

Veteran
image.jpeg
A few years ago prior to the Etape Caledonia I found this in a window of a shop in Pitlochry.

A Raleigh Arena which was the first road bike I owned. I bought it when I was about 15 after saving up all my paper round money from the local Co-op department store when even small towns had one.

I had wanted it for ages and I remember going in one day to look at it and it had been reduced in the sale and I was just £10 short and running home and pleading with my parents to borrow the cash with a promise to pay them back.

Luckily they gave me the money and me and the Raleigh had many years of fun and adventures. It also served me as my commuter bike through my university days.

Last edited:
View attachment 126885 A few years ago prior to the Etape Caledonia I found this in a window of a shop in Pitlochry.

A Raleigh Arena which was the first road bike I owned. I bought it when I was about 15 after saving up all my paper round money from the local Co-op department store when even small towns had one.

I saw one, that was in use, as a commuter, a while ago in Leeds!
Cycling. 2012. Raleigh. Arena.JPG

13 rider

Guru
View attachment 126885 A few years ago prior to the Etape Caledonia I found this in a window of a shop in Pitlochry.

I had wanted it for ages and I remember going in one day to look at it and it had been reduced in the sale and I was just £10 short and running home and pleading with my parents to borrow the cash with a promise to pay them back.

Luckily they gave me the money and me and the Raleigh had many years of fun and adventures. It also served me as my commuter bike through my university days.
You must be about the same age as me I wanted an arena but my dad wouldn't buy it due to the his words the stupid mudguards .The Olympus had full mudguards .I must admit on raining days he was right

Dave7

Legendary Member
My very first one was in (approximately) 1956 when I was aged 9. It was a real sit-up & beg bone shaker which was very rusty......so my Dad (he must have loved me) painted it bright yellow. I loved it and learned to ride "no-hands" on it :smile:
It was also the bike that I learned to run alongside and jump onto the saddle (like Roy Rogers & Trigger)..........only to miss and learn at the age of 10 to be careful with my b**ocks...........I still remember the pain.

Top Bottom