Forum ride from Hebden Bridge to Waddington, Sun Jan 30th

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Okay folks - I've been off my bike since my last forum ride on Nov 20th 2010, I'm fatter and more unfit than I've been for several years and it's time to do something about it! So...

I'm doing a repeat of this forum ride, from Hebden Bridge to the Country Kitchen cafe in Waddington on Sunday, 30th January. Total distance will be around 57 miles.

If the weather is bad, we'll stick to the main valley roads. If there is no risk of ice, I might suggest a scenic alternative route over the tops past Widdop. Either way, we'll come back on main roads from Padiham.

I'm aiming to set off at 10:00 so let's meet at Market Place car park, Hebden Bridge, at 09:45 (Map showing car park). It's a long stay pay-and-display car park and is only about 30p/hour. NB - parking wardens regularly patrol here and issue £70 fines so make sure you pay to at least 16:30!

The centre of Hebden Bridge is now pedestrianised and there is a one-way system. To get to the car park turn right up Commercial Street as you come into HB from the Halifax direction, second left after about 100 yards by the White Lion. Follow that road round over the river. The car park is then on your right.

If you are coming from the Todmorden direction, turn left down Old Gate (one way street) at the end of Market Street, just after the pub on your left. Follow the road round past the Hole in t'Wall. The car park is straight ahead on the right (not the first little one, the bigger one further on).

If anybody decides to turn up announced (it has happened before) make sure that you get to Market Place car park by 09:45 because we won't be hanging about once all those officially riding have gathered!

I'd suggest that you carry lights in case mechanical problems delay us though we should easily get back in daylight.

The valley route on Bikely (returning by the same route reversed).

The scenic route on Bikely (if the weather is okay and I feel frisky - final decision to be made on Saturday).

I'll have to get a couple of rides in before then but I'm still going to be out of shape so make allowances for me - it won't be a quick ride! :blush:

Post below if you are interested in joining me. :becool:

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
I'll be trying to get out for this one Col.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
i'll try and do as much as is sensible, i'll ride out to meet you, ride as far as i'm comfortable than ride home. i'll have done 160 miles commuting that week and i only have compact gearing (34/28 being the lowest) and may end up walking. but you never know i might be able to complete.

cheers

shaun

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I'll be trying to get out for this one Col.
I hope you can make it. (Leave the car keys at home this time!)

i'll try and do as much as is sensible, i'll ride out to meet you, ride as far as i'm comfortable than ride home. i'll have done 160 miles commuting that week and i only have compact gearing (34/28 being the lowest) and may end up walking. but you never know i might be able to complete.

cheers

shaun
Even if we ride out via Widdop, it won't be a super-hilly route. If anything reduces you to walking, it will reduce me to lying down at the side of the road - I haven't ridden a single mile in 9 weeks!

I'll plot the two variations of the route later, put them on Bikely and link to them in the original post. (You can download the gpx files from there.)

Svendo

Guru
Alas I am working that day. I've done a bit of turbo and got out a few times this week, but feel far from fighting fit. I think the NW passage in 4 weeksish will be interesting!
Have a good ride hope the weather is clement for you.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Alas I am working that day. I've done a bit of turbo and got out a few times this week, but feel far from fighting fit. I think the NW passage in 4 weeksish will be interesting!
Have a good ride hope the weather is clement for you.
Cheers Svendo.

Oh yes, the NWP or in my case, the mini-NWP, possibly with extra miles to and from Rochdale. I'd forgotten that was coming up soon. I must get some miles in...

Garz

Squat Member
Oh dear working on a sunday..
wacko.gif

Svendo

Guru
Cheers Svendo.

Oh yes, the NWP or in my case, the mini-NWP, possibly with extra miles to and from Rochdale. I'd forgotten that was coming up soon. I must get some miles in...

I do like the way in Audax a 75 mile ride is described as 'mini'. Unless I acquire a massive heap of endurance beans in exchange for my Mum's cow, I'll be on the 'mini' one myself. I did it last year but saw bu**er all as it was so cold and foggy.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Unless I acquire a massive heap of endurance beans in exchange for my Mum's cow, I'll be on the 'mini' one myself.
I'll be needing a few endurance beans myself! ;)

I did it last year but saw bu**er all as it was so cold and foggy.
I remember you saying that your bottle froze up! :eek:

Oh dear working on a sunday..
wacko.gif
Oh well. How about the mini-NWP on Saturday Feb 19th? Fast with Svendo, or slow with me and the other leisurely riders? (Assuming that Svendo rides at his usual pace rather than having an easy day.)

potsy

Rambler
This ones a bit too soon in the year for me, but will be making more of an effort come Spring to get on a few more cc rides.
Best of luck Colin, sounds like you may need it
biggrin.gif

@ the Brompton Fatboy- The way you tackled those hills last year on the Brommy, you'll have no trouble
thumbsup.png

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I meant Svendo working, I thought this was a holy rest riding day!
biggrin.gif
D'oh!

Maybe we will see you next Sunday after all then?

This ones a bit too soon in the year for me, but will be making more of an effort come Spring to get on a few more cc rides.
Best of luck Colin, sounds like you may need it
biggrin.gif
Well, you know the old expression - What kills me, doesn't make me stronger! ;)

@ the Brompton Fatboy- The way you tackled those hills last year on the Brommy, you'll have no trouble
thumbsup.png
Indeed, and he's done hundreds more miles of commuting since then while I've been sitting back getting fatter and fatter! (I peaked at close to 16 stone a week or two back.)

Attachments

• biggrin.gif
    biggrin.gif
    514 bytes · Views: 39

potsy

Rambler
I peaked at 15st a couple of weeks ago, need to be 13.5 ish before I contemplate a group ride
ohmy.gif
think I was just over 14 on our last one and that nearly finished me off
biggrin.gif

Top Bottom