Forum ride: Hebden Bridge to Waddington, Sun 18th Sept.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
I was going to suggest our usual 10:00, but let's say meet at 10:15, set off at 10:30 to allow Globalti time to get here.

As for finish time ...We are slow and like a long stop at the cafe so I'd guess 17:30 - 18:30.

Thanks

I had a [daft?] idea of cycling to Hebden Bridge from my house, then getting the train from Clitheroe-would mean >100miles.

Issue for me is that it's difficult for me to use the whole day up for cycling when I am (supposed to) look after my daughter on Sats.

So, unlikely that I can do it, but keep me in as a possible. :smile:

potsy

Rambler
Colin, are we doing the exact same route as the map on the original ride thread?
Will try to re-route it on my own mapping site and add it to the Garmin if we are.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Colin, are we doing the exact same route as the map on the original ride thread?
Will try to re-route it on my own mapping site and add it to the Garmin if we are.
I was planning to, yes.

The twat who tried to kill me on a recent ride failed, so I'm still up for this one! (I was on the inside lane on a two-lane roundabout, going straight on. A moronic aggressive driver forced his way through on my right and then immediately turned hard left across me. :angry: I've had attempted 'left hooks' before near left side roads, but that was a first in over 25 years of riding. The look on the face of the driver waiting to join the roundabout from that left junction said it all - total shock and relief that I'd braked in time! I pointed my finger at my temple and rotated said digit in a circle, while slowly rolling my eyes. Hey, hey, HEY - let's be careful out there!)

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Really sorry everyone, but in the words of Dragon's Den, "I'm out!". It's my birthday that weekend and my missus has arranged a family gathering.
Shucks ... :sad: Happy birthday when it comes!

See you for Season of Mists, Hebden Bridge, first Sunday in October then?

Latest ...

Rider List:
  • ColinJ
  • potsy
  • Steve H (Birthday boy!)
  • Alun
  • SlowerThanASluggishSloth
Possibles:
  • oldfatfool
  • 400bhp
  • tubbycyclist
  • Globalti

Steve H

Large Member
Shucks ... Happy birthday when it comes!

See you for Season of Mists, Hebden Bridge, first Sunday in October then?

Latest ...

Rider List:
ColinJpotsySteve H (Birthday boy!)AlunSlowerThanASluggishSloth
Possibles:
oldfatfool400bhptubbycyclistGlobalti

Yes - should be good for Seasons of Mists. Already feeling scared of those hills!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Just a reminder about this ride and I've pinched a copy of the details from the previous time we rode it ...

We will ride out over the tops via Widdop and descend through Brierfield, then climb to Fence. We will ride along the hilltop to Padiham Heights, descend to Sabden then climb over the Nick o'Pendle.

It's a fast descent from the Nick so watch out! There is a cattle grid to cross and sometimes sheep wander across the road. ALSO - we will be turning left for Pendleton about 2/3 of the way down so don't shoot past the turn and descend all the way to the A59! Let me go first and I'll stand at the junction.

... Pendleton, Wiswell, over the A59, then turn back under it to come into Whalley from a different direction to normal. After that we'll ride out through Mitton as usual.

For more variety, I'd like us to carry straight on where we normally turn right for Bashall Town. We'll climb up through Bashall Eaves, then loop back through Kitchens and past Colthurst Hall to join the B6478 just above Waddington for a quick plunge down to our cafe stop at the Country Kitchen cafe.

The return trip will be via the Old Roman road to Padiham then we'll take the Padiham Greenway to Rose Grove for a quick run home on the A646.

It's 104 km, or 64.6 miles for you old imperialists! It's quite a 'lumpy' route on the way out, much less so on the way back. Some of those lumps are very steep indeed (20+%), but you can always walk those if you prefer to. I'll be going up them at a slow walking pace anyway!

Nobody will be left behind, but you should be confident that you can tackle a hilly ride of this distance. It will be slow, slow, slow. Don't come along and complain about it being slow. IT WILL BE SLOW! (We won't be riding quickly ... ;))

We'll be aiming to set off at 10:00 so let's meet at Market Place car park, Hebden Bridge, at 09:45 (Map showing car park) on Sunday, 18th September.

The centre of Hebden Bridge is now pedestrianised and there is a one-way system. To get to the car park turn right up Commercial Street as you come into HB from the Halifax direction, second left after about 100 yards by the White Lion. Follow that road round over the river. The car park is then on your right.

If you are coming from the Todmorden direction, turn left down Old Gate (one way street) at the end of Market Street, just after the closed-down pub on your left. Follow the road round past the Hole in t'Wall. The car park is straight ahead on the right (not the first little one, the bigger one further on).

If anybody decides to turn up announced (it has happened before) make sure that you get to Market Place car park by 09:45 because we won't be hanging about once all those officially riding have gathered!

I reckon we will get back at between 17:00 and 18:00. (Told you it would be slow!)

Route map on Bikely.

Rider List:
  • ColinJ
  • potsy
  • Alun
  • oldfatfool
Any decision yet from these 3 'possibles'?

• 400bhp
  • tubbycyclist
  • Globalti
... And is anybody else interested in joining us?

My right knee was feeling a bit sore yesterday after a windy 105 mile ride on Sunday, but I think it will be okay by the weekend.

potsy

Rambler
I'm just hoping the wind dies down a bit for Sunday or we'll need a 'big un' up front for protection (Shaun?) :whistle:

Must admit the forum ride the following Sunday has had a lot of interest, nice and flat, early start so should be back home for 3pm, did I say it was flat?

I *should* be good to go, but after last Sunday I don't do wind, well not headwinds at least :whistle:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I *should* be good to go, but after last Sunday I don't do wind, well not headwinds at least :whistle:
I know the feeling - I did 105 miles in them! (Okay, 75 miles of headwinds and crosswinds, with about 30 miles of super tailwind!)

If the winds keep coming from the same direction then they would be helping us on the way out and against us on the way back but then we will be more sheltered, down in the valleys.

I've moved you to the official rider list so you can't chicken out now! ;)

Globalti

Legendary Member
Colin I've just sent you a test text. At the moment the weather isn't looking too promising so as I have no interest in riding in rain, I suggest you plan without me and if the weather looks OK I will find a way of joining you by your start time.

(Got a big decorating project on at home and rainy weather is the ideal time to get on with it!)

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Colin I've just sent you a test text. At the moment the weather isn't looking too promising so as I have no interest in riding in rain, I suggest you plan without me and if the weather looks OK I will find a way of joining you by your start time.

(Got a big decorating project on at home and rainy weather is the ideal time to get on with it!)
I just checked the ride phone and saw the message, so yes, you have the correct number and I've just saved 10p by replying here! ;)

Okay, I'll shift the start time back to the usual 10:00 then and you can either cadge a lift or ride over to meet us if you decide to come after all.

So it is now - meet at 09:45, ride at 10:00!

Back to 50/50 now Colin, Stepson as just picked up the keys to their new house and wants a floor laying over the weekend, If I can finish it Sat afternoon then I will be OK but have'nt seen it yet, so don't know how much work there is.:sad: Will be there before 9.45 if I am riding, if not have a good day :thumbsup:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

If the winds keep coming from the same direction then they would be helping us on the way out and against us on the way back ...
Ah, now they are forecasting a NW wind so that would be a headwind on the way out and a tailwind back. I prefer that!

Back to 50/50 now Colin, Stepson as just picked up the keys to their new house and wants a floor laying over the weekend, If I can finish it Sat afternoon then I will be OK but have'nt seen it yet, so don't know how much work there is.:sad: Will be there before 9.45 if I am riding, if not have a good day :thumbsup:
Okay - I hope you get it done on Saturday and we see you for the ride. If not, for Season of Mists on Sunday 2nd October!

Rider List:
  • ColinJ
  • potsy
  • Alun
Possibles:
  • 400bhp
  • tubbycyclist
  • Globalti (weather-dependent)
  • oldfatfool (flooring-dependent!)

Rider List:
  • ColinJ
  • potsy
  • Alun
Possibles:
  • 400bhp
  • tubbycyclist
  • Globalti (weather-dependent)
  • oldfatfool (flooring-dependent!)

I really hate to do this, Colin, but I think my name should be moved to the 'Highly Unlikely' list. :sad:

As you may recall from a previous post, I've been out only four times since April - and I've not ridden at all this month - but knowing how supportive the Hebden Bridge posse is, I was happy to give it a go. Now, however, I've gone down with a proper cold - high temperature, shivering, sneezing, etc. It may have run its course by Sunday, in which case I'll join you, but if I'm not at the car park, don't wait.

It's really frustrating that after a long lay-off I'm able to ride but am thwarted. I had fancied Season of Mists but unless I can get some miles into my legs I think that will have to wait until next year.

I hope you all have a good ride and hope to rejoin you all before too long.

Top Bottom