Forum ride: Hebden Bridge - Trawden loop, Sat 12th November 2022, 52 km (33 miles)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As long as the weather plays nice I'll be there 😊

Hi @Vantage
We have met before 'pre-covid' on one of @ColinJ 's excellent Forum rides. I think it was his Cheshire ride.
I rode an unassisted bike back then but severe arthritis in both knees and feet together with years of riding up ultra steep gradients mean it has to be an e bike or nothing for me nowadays. Having said that, I immensely enjoy riding both my assisted bikes and get out on some great routes. I'll see you on the train on Saturday and looking forward to a good ride and good company.

colly

Re member eR
Yay! :okay:

If you will be on the train arriving at 09:14, watch out for @Littgull getting on at Littleborough. You can compare e-bikes for the rest of the journey!

The forecast has been stable for days, and not only for Saturday... The fact that it is supposed to be good from Friday until well into next week should mean that we can trust it. **

** Let me apologise in advance for jinxing us, and summoning up gale force winds, and torrential rain! :laugh:

Can't resist can you??

Ill put me bike away now. 😣

GuyBoden

Guru
Looking forward to the ride, I will see everyone tomorrow at 9:30am at St George's Square, Hebden Bridge.

I'll be sat on the bench, if I'm early.:okay:

2525674_e2a5932d.jpg

Edit: I'll be eating the chocy bars on the bench, so get there early.:laugh:

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
This is one route that I won't be needing my Garmin Edge 200 for... I will be using my Garmin Edge 500, but only as a glorified bike computer. The 200 is dedicated to navigation duties, but I have done this route many times so I don't need its help.

I suppose it will be interesting to see which comes first in the future - becoming physically incapable of climbing the hills, or getting so forgetful that I can no longer remember the route. Ideally, neither will happen before I got to 90+, and then one morning I just won't wake up! :whistle:

The forecast is still good, though the predicted wind speeds have dropped. That will mean slightly less help up the first climb, but less hindrance elsewhere. Good!

See you in the morning.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
How the forkin hell is this classed as a cycle carriage?

PXL_20221112_085612893.jpg

Barely room to swing a saddle bag.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That went well! :smile:

There was a cool blustery wind, but after an overcast start we eventually got mild, sunny conditions. We don't get many mid-November days as good as this up here!

The e-bikes of @Vantage and @Littgull worked flawlessly. Littgull even had enough charge left at the end to accompany me back to Todmorden to catch his train home from here.

The low grovelling gears on the bikes ridden by me and @GuyBoden got used a few times, especially on the one really stiff climb, at Thursden pasture towards Widdop reservoir.

@colly demonstrated that he didn't need a motor, OR a grovelling gear!

There were no significant mechanical problems, despite Vantage trying to wreck his bike in a pothole on the ride from Hebden Bridge station to the start point in the town centre...

The hills were looking lovely in the autumn sun. We took our time on the ride, and soaked up the views.

Hebden Bridge was looking great, but was very busy when we got back. The fine weather had brought lots of other tourists out.

We had drinks and snacks down by the river before parting ways.

I took a couple of photos (Littgull will post some more later)...

As regulars on my rides will know, I like to perform a tongue inspection early on to make sure there will not be any problems later. Vantage was obviously listening to my instructions, but the others were distracted by the sun about to pop out from behind the clouds, and stood there grinning like loons while waiting for it:

Scar Top tongue inspection.jpg

The grinning thing is obviously infectious because Vantage was no longer sticking his tongue out by the time we stopped for the second photo. (The one that I took to demonstrate that we did actually end up in sunshine.) Yes, there was still a lot of cloud, but the sun was shining, trust me - I had pointed the camera away from the direct sun to avoid it messing up the picture. You see those dark areas on the road? They are called 'shadows'. (We don't get many of them in Yorkshire, so I had to Google the name for them.)

Cyclists in mid-November sun.jpg

Normal dark and depressing conditions will no doubt be restored in the next few days, and then last for 3 or 4 icy months! :laugh:

Unlike the first time I did a ride through Trawden, this time was not traumatic! :okay:

Watch out for Hebden Bridge ride #3 next spring.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I thoroughly enjoyed that ride @ColinJ despite a few issues.
The pothole that near swallowed my entire bike has caused a snapped battery clamp. Easily replaced. More serious is that it has knocked something out of alignment in the motor. It sounded and felt rough as a hedgehogs arse the whole ride. I'm awaiting some grease before I perform surgery on it.
I also spent the majority of the ride battling low glucose levels. That motor saved me from slipping into a diabetic coma!
I even did a bit more talking this time ^_^
The scenery was even more spectacular than last time and the weather I think was a bit warmer.
Once again gentlemen, it was a pleasure to ride with you all :smile:

PXL_20221112_125948358.jpg

PXL_20221112_130039212.jpg

Brian and I laughing at you lot suffering as we dilly dallied up at 15mph :laugh:
PXL_20221112_130615138.jpg

Despite my help of 48v, I'm knackered and will be in bed early :heat:

colly

Re member eR
Thanks @ColinJ.

Another well organised ride. :okay: And also particular thanks to @Vantage for the loan of a top. My top decided to play silly beggers and let the zip break. Without Bills' forethought I would have been bloody freezing on the decents.

A really good ride with some great views and some storming hills. Nice to see @Littgull again too.
My very first outing on a 'Colin' ride used some of this route, I recall the climbs at Thurston very well. That was 2009 I think :eek:

Thanks again Colin.

Edit: Just seen the post by Vantage. What a shame about the bike, especially after you have just fixed it.

Last edited:

GuyBoden

Guru
I thoroughly enjoyed that ride @ColinJ despite a few issues.
The pothole that near swallowed my entire bike has caused a snapped battery clamp. Easily replaced. More serious is that it has knocked something out of alignment in the motor. It sounded and felt rough as a hedgehogs arse the whole ride. I'm awaiting some grease before I perform surgery on it.
I also spent the majority of the ride battling low glucose levels. That motor saved me from slipping into a diabetic coma!
I even did a bit more talking this time ^_^
The scenery was even more spectacular than last time and the weather I think was a bit warmer.
Once again gentlemen, it was a pleasure to ride with you all :smile:

View attachment 667794

View attachment 667795
Brian and I laughing at you lot suffering as we dilly dallied up at 15mph :laugh:
View attachment 667796
Despite my help of 48v, I'm knackered and will be in bed early :heat:

Great photos @Vantage the scenery was fantastic, especially near widdop res in the sunshine. Big thanks to @ColinJ for organising the ride. We had plenty of laughs, even getting up the steep bits, thanks everyone for the company.

A great day out.:okay:

The photo below is for @ColinJ the disbeliever, ho ho.:laugh:
Hebden Bridge Cycle Sign.png

Top Bottom