England : West Yorkshire Forum ride: Hebden Bridge to Wharfedale, bank holiday Monday (May 26th)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
@Steve H had intended to join me and a few other CC members on the Spring Into The Dales (SITD) audax ride to Wharfedale from Mytholmroyd yesterday but he had forgotten that his best mate's wedding clashed with it! Much disappointment, so I volunteered to organise a similar ride on a date that suited us both in order that he could get his Dales fix in. We have decided on Sat, 10th May.

My route is 104 km (64 miles) in length. Roughly half of that is on the current SITD route and some of the other half is lifted from the original SITD route. I have opted to bypass Keighley to avoid the busiest part of the SITD route. That does add a couple of steep climbs, but I think it is worth it. On a sunny day***, this will be a lovely ride.

I have heard good things about Wharfe View Tea Room at Burnsall which comes at the halfway point in the ride, so let's go there and see if we agree!

Route description (amended as suggested by Steve GT):

Hebden Bridge, Cock Hill, Oxenhope, Haworth, Oakworth, Slippery Ford, Sutton Moor, Lane Ends, Glusburn Moor, Carleton Moor, Elslack, Broughton, Gargrave, Hetton, Cracoe, Thorpe, Burnsall, **Wharfe View Tea Room cafe stop**, Appletreewick, Cavendish Pavilion, Bolton Abbey, CAUTION - roundabout on busy A59, Addingham, Ilkley Rd, CAUTION - cross busy A65, climb Nudge Hill to Rombauld's Moor, Silsden, CAUTION - roundabout on busy A629, Steeton, Steeton Moor, Redcar Tarn, Laycock, Goose Eye, Oakworth, Mytholmes, Haworth Brow, Oxenhope, Cock Hill, Hebden Bridge.

Route map:

SITD Reloaded map.gif

Route profile:

SITD Reloaded profile.gif

We will be riding at a slow, chatty pace. I expect that we will take about 8 hours, including the cafe stop.

NB All welcome and nobody will be left behind, but be aware that this is a tough hilly route! I suggest that you make sure that you are ok riding (say) 80 km (50 miles) of Yorkshire/Lancashire hills before tackling this longer route.

If you would like to join us, register your interest in a post below.

Provisional rider list:
  • ColinJ
  • Steve H
  • Martin Archer (+ 2 mates?)
  • Alun
  • potsy
  • DiddlyDodds
  • Littgull
  • kiwi-Sal

(*** If we are let down by the weather on the day, we could shorten the ride to about 65 km (40 miles) at the expense of the Dales section and opt for an easier route back through Keighley.)

We'll be aiming to set off at 09:00 so let's meet at Market Place car park, Hebden Bridge, at 08:45 on Saturday, 10th May. (Map showing car parks)

The centre of Hebden Bridge is now pedestrianised and there is a one-way system. To get to the car park turn right up Commercial Street as you come into HB from the Halifax direction, second left after about 100 yards by the White Lion. Follow that road round over the river. The car park is then on your right.

If you are coming from the Todmorden direction, turn left down Old Gate (one way street) at the end of Market Street, just after the Inn on the Bridge (being repaired) on your left. Follow the road round past the (boarded up) Hole in t'Wall. The car park is straight ahead on the right just beyond the new council buildings.

If anybody decides to turn up announced (it has happened before) make sure that you get to Market Place car park by 08:45 because we won't be hanging about once all those officially riding have gathered!

I reckon we might get back at about 17:00, maybe even a bit later. (Told you it would be slow!) The local parking wardens nab people all the time, so pay for a full day in the car park - it is a lot cheaper than paying a hefty fine!

Last edited:

Steve H

Large Member
It's gonna be a sunny day with tailwinds the whole way round. :whistle:

Really gutted to have missed SITD this year, but looking forward to this alternative.

Steve GT

Wharfe View tea room is a great cycling café.
May I suggest a small alternate to your proposed route?
As a local (Ilkley) I am not a fan of the Storiths climb.
There is a ford just before the climb and the lane is too narrow if there is a car coming down.
If you wish to avoid it cross back across the river at the Pavilion, follow the road back to the B6160 and then follow the B6160 to Addingham.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Wharfe View tea room is a great cycling café.
May I suggest a small alternate to your proposed route?
As a local (Ilkley) I am not a fan of the Storiths climb.
There is a ford just before the climb and the lane is too narrow if there is a car coming down.
If you wish to avoid it cross back across the river at the Pavilion, follow the road back to the B6160 and then follow the B6160 to Addingham.
Hi Steve - long time, no see! :hello:

Right - Wharfe View sounds good then.

I had forgotten the ford and how narrow that lane is. I do remember how steep it is though ... I think I would still go that way on a solo ride, but I have checked both alternatives on Street View and I reckon your suggestion makes more sense for a forum ride so I have amended the route accordingly.

Provisional rider list:
  • ColinJ
  • Steve H
  • Alun
  • potsy
  • DiddlyDodds
  • Littgull

Last edited:
Hi Colin,

Please add me to the list. It looks another really good'un!

Hey Colin,

Add me please! I've not cycled over Hebden Bridge way before so it will be great to ride in a new area. Really looking forward to it and seeing some of the 'regulars' again :smile:.

Where is the starting point and is there a good place to park as I'll be driving over from Preston way?

KneesUp

Guru
NB All welcome and nobody will be left behind, but be aware that this is a tough hilly route! I suggest that you make sure that you are ok riding (say) 80 km (50 miles) of Yorkshire/Lancashire hills before tackling this longer route.

That's definitely me out, but it sounds great. I'd best get some miles in for next year :smile:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Hey Colin,

Add me please! I've not cycled over Hebden Bridge way before so it will be great to ride in a new area. Really looking forward to it and seeing some of the 'regulars' again :smile:.

Where is the starting point and is there a good place to park as I'll be driving over from Preston way?
Super!

I have updated the first post with the start details. (We start from the car park!)

That's definitely me out, but it sounds great. I'd best get some miles in for next year :smile:
See you next year then! :thumbsup:

Provisional rider list:
  • ColinJ
  • Steve H
  • Alun
  • potsy
  • DiddlyDodds
  • Littgull
  • kiwi-Sal

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I went for a ride with my superfit tiny friend Carrie yesterday and told her about this one. She is going to join us from Oxenhope back round to Oxenhope again.

Provisional rider list:
  • ColinJ + pal Carrie
  • Steve H
  • Alun
  • potsy
  • DiddlyDodds
  • Littgull
  • kiwi-Sal

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Note to self: Remember to take traditional 'Little and Large' photo, this time of Steve H standing next to Carrie! (I am the best part of a foot taller than her and nearly double her weight despite having lost over 4 stone in the past 18 months, and Steve is way taller and heavier than me ...)

Top Bottom