England : West Yorkshire Forum WALK - Stoodley Pike from Hebden Bridge, now takes place Sun 7th Apr

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Is that subject to dry hair conditions too? :laugh:
No, he's got a gnat.

potsy

Rambler
Oops! :whistle:

I will be sporting either a gnat or a CycleChat buff over my Gore skullcap. It is definitely going to be chilly so bare heads will not be a good idea.
Good job I've not just had my summer haircut then :rolleyes:

Being a novice at this walking lark, what supplies would you suggest I bring along?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Being a novice at this walking lark, what supplies would you suggest I bring along?
It will be cold, so we will want to walk fairly briskly. We can nip up inside Stoodley Pike monument for a quick photo-opportunity and to check out the views, then walk briskly back into town for a warm cafe visit.

My poor health/fitness will probably limit our speed but I reckon we will still do it in about 3.5 hours so hunger shouldn't be a problem. Just carry a bar of chocolate and/or a piece of cake and/or flapjack if you don't reckon you can wait 4 hours to eat - I don't think it will be warm enough to sit around having a picnic up there!

I normally carry 0.5 L of water/OJ on a walk like that but it would be nicer to have a hot drink. I might carry a flask of tea with me.

DON'T FORGET A SMALL TORCH TO LIGHT THE WAY UP THE DARK SPIRAL STAIRCASE OF THE MONUMENT!

(If this walk is a success, I have another one planned for the end of April when we might reasonably expect nicer weather.)

potsy

Rambler
Potsy wait for hours to eat :laugh:
:tongue:

I have fig rolls, Haribo, and will bring a flask of coffee I think, better find my small rucksack.
4 hours plus an hours drive beforehand :hungry:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

If anybody arrives early and gets cold waiting, there are plenty of cafes which should be open. There is one in the new council building directly opposite the car park. I'll check what time that opens. There is also an Italian cafe opposite the public toilets adjacent to the car park. I'll check that one too. If not, there are several cafes in the pedestrianised area just over the river.

potsy

Rambler
Is it time for the 'what time' 'where are we meeting' type questions Colin? :tongue:

Did my training walk today, a full mile of flat pavement to the shop and back :sweat:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Oooooh, a kit list:
Me
Dog
Flask of coffee
Nuts
Hat
Torch
Dogs are welcome on the walk, but I think most if not all the cafes might not allow dogs in and it will be probably too cold for us to sit outside. If you are driving over, would (s)he be okay being left in the car for a while afterwards?
Any one seen my 1:25000 South Pennines (sheet 21)?
It's probably in the same place as my laminated one! I think I left mine at the house of somebody that I had a big bust-up with and I am not going to go round to ask for my stuff back!
Is it time for the 'what time' 'where are we meeting' type questions Colin? :tongue:
It probably is, and that means that I should direct all interested parties to the original post - 'Please see original post for details'!
Did my training walk today, a full mile of flat pavement to the shop and back :sweat:
How did that go? :whistle:

Serious question: what is the furthest distance that you have ever walked?

I'm not sure how far my longest walk was, maybe 15 miles or so, but with lots of hills. I'm not really a serious walker but I think I could get more into it. I think 20 miles a day over rugged terrain would be the most I'd want to do.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Dog'll be fine in the car.
The map was in the third drawer down in the dining room under the Christmas napkins and the bugle. it was proofed using map proofing fluid on 18.2.1997.

We used to cover them in Fablon when I was in the TA, and we'd mark up routes and boundaries with chinagraph pencil.

Top Bottom