Found a body

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
What would you do in this situation..
Call Hetty Wainthrope and ask her to investigate.

Sim2003

Nice of you to stop regardless of the potential danger.

[QUOTE 3938475, member: 45"]I once found a body lying on the pavement in a drab part of Birmingham while driving. I got out and went over but couldn't find any sign of life, so rang an ambulance. They came along, nudged and poked him until he groaned, checked he wasn't choking, left him and drove off. He was just blind drunk.[/QUOTE]

Same thing happened to me on way through Coventry. Was winter and a guy out cold on the pavement , I phoned ambulance as I couldn't get any response . I could smell the drink and see him breathing but it was below zero so didn't want to just leave the guy, he was shivering hard. Sad thing is a few taxis passed right by.

Feel bad for the paramedics as this seems to be there regular emergency.

Drago

Legendary Member
Some years back a mate of mine was on foot patrol. It had been a Q evening so he decided to nip behind some bushes to have a quiet smoke keep himself out of trouble a few more minutes before heading back in. As he was enjoying his cigarillo a dead body floated past in the stream.

He never managed to finish in time.

Seen a fair few in my job, but never actually found one myself.

The basic rule of any first aid situation is to check your own safety

If (and I recognise your personal knowledge) it is unsafe then you have helped as far as you can without placing yourself at risk

So IMHO you have improved his chances of survival and not compromised your safety

Ticks all the boxes for me

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
There was a forum ride a couple of years ago on New Years day, when we came across a guy unconscious lying in a puddle in the rain. We stopped and Middle Aged Cyclist of this forum took control as he is an A&E nurse and was able to take the appropriate course of action including briefing the paramedics when they arrived.

Drago

Legendary Member
You are showing your age. First priority is to put it up on facebook.

Or take a selfie with them.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
You are showing your age. First priority is to put it up on facebook.

That's what my younger son and I did when we had to force open the bathroom door because older son was unconscious on the floor.

Conversation went like this:

Younger son: "We've got the door open and Sam's flat out on the floor"

exit stage left

Mrs Vernon: "Where are you going?"

Younger son and I in unison: "For our phones - this is going on Facebook"

Evidence:

216095_6940033329_1686_n.jpg

I'm saving this for a wedding speech...

classic33

Leg End Member
Found parts of bodies over the years, last being the upper torso. At night coming home from work.. Level crossing nearby.

In the same situation as the OP, there's been a few that I've known, and I've given the name when calling. But I've stayed away whilst help arrived.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I've found a body once, it was a really horrid experience

It was the body of a young girl who was hit by a car on a crossing outside a very popular pub in Bexleyheath (Drayman), I was about 15 and it shook me very badly (I remember being very sick later that night). There were no mobile phones in those days so I did the thing I thought was right and rode to the chippy up the road (opposite the car dealers if its still there) and asked them to call the police. It scares me still today to wonder if she was already dead, or dying but as soon as the police arrived they covered her body and cordoned off the area.

I also stumbled into a crime scene once (I was viewing a flat in Blackheath). The bed in the main bedroom was covered in blood stains so we called the police and it turns out a fella who was on the run and injured had broken in and crashed the night.

I've got a similar but different one, that you might enjoy. It's another "what would you do?"

I was leaving the rowing club late one night, when a woman came out of the darkness saying she was running away from her boyfriend. She wasn't running, and she didn't look terrified, but I saw no reason to disbelieve her. We were in a nice part of London, but it after 10 and we were between a crematorium and a waste recycling depot**, and so she'd have a fair distance to walk/run before she'd be safe, and further to a train station or where she could reliably flag a taxi. I'm not streetwise, and if she was armed and this was all a ruse to rob me, she would succeed. This is the maths I did in my head: worst case scenario for her if she was telling the truth was assault, rape, death. Worst case scenario for me was robbery. Anything else seemed unlikely. Standing around to call the police for help could be unwise as the alleged boyfriend would be there soon, and once she was in my car, I might as well just drive her to the station where she would be safe. I decided to drive her to the station.

Anyway, I wasn't alone, and my friend, in a separate car offered to follow me to the station. D'oh! There had really been no ethical dilemma. But if I had been alone, I would have still done it.

**someone should be able to work out which rowing club we were at.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
You did the right thing. I would have checked as I am experienced at moving drunks and druggies on. I did use to find that dead people caused the least trouble
:0)

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I worked as a Park Ranger for eight years and found probably five or six in total. Parks and woodlands are favourite places for elderly dog walkers and now and again one would reach their natural end of life mid stroll. The biggest problem was often comforting the poor old dog. Park toilets are a favourite place for druggies and winos to expire (That accounted for two) and suicides are not unknown, fortunately it wasn't me who discovered the two who took their own life while I was there. The guy who found someone who'd been hanging from a tree all night was quite traumatised when he came across it one misty morning.

Plus one poor old fellow I found flat out and bereft of life in a bus shelter while I was out walking my own dog a few year later. I felt so sad when his daughter called round a few days later to thank me for attending to him and calling an ambulance.

Last edited:
Top Bottom