Found a body

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Smokey Joe was a Jellystone Ranger!
Nowt so glamourous, outer London borough. Two years on a motorcycle and six in a van with a German Shepard for company.

I think you have to do the right thing. The one I found in a field one morning whilst walking my dog was fortunately just sleeping it off, but I was somewhat anxious as I approached as I feared it was a corpse.

JoshM

I've found a body once, it was a really horrid experience

It was the body of a young girl who was hit by a car on a crossing outside a very popular pub in Bexleyheath (Drayman), I was about 15 and it shook me very badly (I remember being very sick later that night). There were no mobile phones in those days so I did the thing I thought was right and rode to the chippy up the road (opposite the car dealers if its still there) and asked them to call the police. It scares me still today to wonder if she was already dead, or dying but as soon as the police arrived they covered her body and cordoned off the area.

I also stumbled into a crime scene once (I was viewing a flat in Blackheath). The bed in the main bedroom was covered in blood stains so we called the police and it turns out a fella who was on the run and injured had broken in and crashed the night.

If it helps, I'd have done the same thing. You can give the best CPR, control external bleeding etc all you like but the place for a very sick person is in hospital, and you were only going to get her to hospital by calling for help.

Normally speaking, my first reaction would be to stop and check the "body". I have done first aid in the past, so I at least know some basics. But, given what the OP said about the area and the undesirables that are known to frequent it, I think I would have done exactly what he did - ride away, get help and then return with Police.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I found a chap about 10 years ago, on the towpath in Stoke. I didn't check him as I was a bit worried and on my own, unless you count the dogs. I called the emergency services who arrived quickly and carted him off. He was breathing and in a good position so there wouldn't have been much that I could do anyway.

The paramedics mentioned the words 'suspected stroke' on their radio. The police came to mine later and took a statement and that was that.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
reminds me (tenuously) of a mate's story. He gone to work ridiculously early - misread his clock or something - and upon arrival found the unit all shut up. Climbed into the back of his van wrapping himself in an old carpet for an extra hour's snooze till the boss / key-holder arrived. Awoke with a start when someone opened the door of the van. Police officer nearly jumped out of her skin thinking she'd found a body wrapped in a carpet.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Once, many years ago, in the mountains above Les Gets, I was that pair of legs protruding from the brush.

I will be eternally grateful to the stranger, or strangers, that I never met whilst conscious, who found me, realised I needed help, and called the emergency services to get me and my broken rental bike off that mountain, lest I'd gone from body to corpse over the next few hours.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
This has happened to me, it was a chap lying on a verge next to his bike which looked as though it had been dropped (rather than "parked up"). I gave him a shout and he woke up, he seemed grateful that I'd checked on him.

OP I would have checked him out first, possibly felt for a pulse at arms length, then called either the Police or Ambulance depending on the state of the pulse. I wouldn't really be scared that he'd knife me or bite me. That might be naive of me, but of all the drunks and high people I've met, none have been particularly crazed enough to attack me.

I ride a route quite regularly, that takes in a lot of countryside, for months, I've been riding past a drainage ditch, from which was emanating a horrendous smell of rotting something. I've never bothered to investigate, thought it was probably a dead deer, pony or something. My local news reported that a dog walker found a dead person in the ditch, who "had been there for some time".xx(

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I found a bloke lying in the path on Welford Road in Leicester - this is a fairly busy road and cannot believe others hadn't seen him. Anyway I stop, he was barely conscious and stunk of alcohol. I couldn't get any reaction out of him and had no phone. So I went home (a couple of minutes away) and called police. They sent a car out to see to him, no idea what happened after that.

Jody

Stubborn git
I remember coming out of work and finding someone who had died, whilst driving and his car came to rest across the gate to our yard. He could have only been gone for a couple of minutes as the cigarette in his lap had only just been lit. My colleague told me to check his pulse but his eyes were still open. Honestly, I sh*t it, in a big way. Scared stiff and daren't go near him. Looking back I am ashamed I couldn't check his pulse, but it was the first dead person I had seen and it just freaked me out.

Top Bottom