Found some evidence among a pile of litter - any point in reporting?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
report, it goes on file, and the EHO who deals with it will often pop around to the tipper and have a chat just to clear up if it was a malicious act either way etc.

from talking to the ones at LBI and LBH having a chat gets a lot more results than a prosecution

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Rode past a couple of lads litter picking along one of my local lanes today. Doing a good job they were so I gave them my best thanks as I went past. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Glow worm

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I nearly got done by an incident like this.Was moving house so left a relatively new spin dryer in my rubbish but the box had my name and address on it.I don't normally miss stuff like this but this time I did.Someone nicked the box with the spinner and dumped the box round the corner.Council got hold of it and I was accused of fly tipping.Somehow I got away with it as the incident happened three days after I left the property.

Remember I had to go for an interview at the Council offices which was particularly gruesome but must admit the officer dealing with me was fair and yes I did cycle there.I also did have video evidence of people rifling my rubbish just before I left but don't know if this had any relevance on the case.

Well its good to hear they follow these things up I suppose, and even better they believed you :okay:

Drago

Legendary Member
I nearly got done by an incident like this.Was moving house so left a relatively new spin dryer in my rubbish but the box had my name and address on it.I don't normally miss stuff like this but this time I did.Someone nicked the box with the spinner and dumped the box round the corner.Council got hold of it and I was accused of fly tipping.Somehow I got away with it as the incident happened three days after I left the property.

Remember I had to go for an interview at the Council offices which was particularly gruesome but must admit the officer dealing with me was fair and yes I did cycle there.I also did have video evidence of people rifling my rubbish just before I left but don't know if this had any relevance on the case.
To coin a pun, that's rubbish. You keep the evidence safe, then when Fly Tip Man comes to see you he takes a section 9 statement detailing where, when an how you came to find these items. Evidential continuity is maintained, and its equally as valuable evidentually than if you'd left it in situ.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
[QUOTE 4141333, member: 9609"]an unfriendly neighbour could have taken it from his wheelie bin and dumped it in the countryside in a bid to get him in trouble, and that's why we shouldn't jump to conclusions...[/QUOTE]
So he's guilty of being too stupid to dispose of litter identifying him securely. I don't mind. I think I favour strict liability for littering of things like payslips and bank documents, as if people get in the habit of burning or shredding them, it'll cut down fraud too.

Sharky

Guru
Once I spotted some "litter" in the hedgerow, consisting of a few important looking papers, including a season ticket. I traced the owner and he came to collect it. Turns out he had been playing football at Wrotham and left his wallet in the changing room. After the game finished, he realised that it had been stolen. The thief must have nicked the wallet, taken the cash out and threw what was left into the hedgerow.

So may not be a case of fly tipping?

OP
OP
Glow worm

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Rode past a couple of lads litter picking along one of my local lanes today. Doing a good job they were so I gave them my best thanks as I went past. :thumbsup:

That would be nice for me. Instead, I got shouted at by a driver today presumably for not hopping into the verge quickly enough to get out of her way, presumably slowing her down to under about 70 for a millisecond. Funny how they always manage to find the time to stop and yell at you though despite being in such a hurry.

OP
OP
Glow worm

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Once I spotted some "litter" in the hedgerow, consisting of a few important looking papers, including a season ticket. I traced the owner and he came to collect it. Turns out he had been playing football at Wrotham and left his wallet in the changing room. After the game finished, he realised that it had been stolen. The thief must have nicked the wallet, taken the cash out and threw what was left into the hedgerow.

So may not be a case of fly tipping?

It's a possibility I suppose, along with a few others outlined above. It was in a pile of other crap so my theory is he just lobbed what he thought was the rubbish out of his window without realising payslips etc was among it. I've reported it now, so it's not down to me to speculate further really. The Council can now decide what's best.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
That would be nice for me. Instead, I got shouted at by a driver today presumably for not hopping into the verge quickly enough to get out of her way, presumably slowing her down to under about 70 for a millisecond. Funny how they always manage to find the time to stop and yell at you though despite being in such a hurry.
Motons :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Glow worm

Glow worm

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4141765, member: 9609"]may be after viewing all the deduction of stuff like breaks, use of drivers seat, sheltering behind windscreen and use of cab heater, from the minimum hourly rate - he just chucked the pay slip out of the window it utter despair.[/QUOTE]

He's on seriously crap wages I can tell you that much!

Someone once found my litter which was dumped when the lowlifes stole my car. He traced me and sent it on. I returned with a bottle of suitably nice champers.

OP
OP
Glow worm

Glow worm

Legendary Member
C'mon, which company should people not drive for? ;)

Well it's not Turners of Soham which is the biggest one around here. What I will say is that I'm disappointed, because this company's drivers have always given me nice wide passes while I'm cycling and showed lots of patience. They seem a well trained bunch, maybe just not so much in terms of littering though ^_^

Top Bottom