French vs British Cuisine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have always wondered why it is poles apart, chalk to cheese and you know which side takes the chalk. Maybe folks like @gavorche who seen both Worlds and those who reside in France can explain. This is despite being neighbours. Even Jamie Oliver took the safe bet and relied on Italian to turn a buck.

Just taste duck breast and gratin dauphinois. Why didn't we think to that? Its not just food but take a look at their drinks. And to top it all, they are relatively slimmer.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I've given the situation due consideration and you've failed to mention andouillette, a French delicacy which smells and tastes of 5hit.

Game over.

The French lose.

Salar

A fish out of water
My better half travels regularly to Paris. Being a vegetarian the food offerings are poor and the waiters tend to be rude when she asks for veggie food.

British food for us.

Last edited:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I'll never forget the episode of the muppet show when sralan sent the numpties off to do a French street market, and before they went, they got sent to Makro, to pick up materials they'd need - plates, tablecloths, signage, that sort of thing. One of them had the inspired idea of buying 5kg blocks of plastic catering cheese because it was so cheap there was bound to be a big profit in it. Amazingly, they met with a certain resistance on the day....

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
British food has got much better. Even in this small town we have several good eateries, and one that's excellent. But you can still easily find the unutterably awful. French food can get noticeably worse in tourist areas, but you seldom find anything inedible (pace Vernon).

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I've given the situation due consideration and you've failed to mention andouillette, a French delicacy which smells and tastes of 5hit.

Game over.

The French lose.

A good one is really rather good, though a bad one does indeed resemble your description.

A counter example might be meat pie - minced string in meat flavoured diesel in manky pastry, compared to a real fine dining experience of a really good pie

Top Bottom