FNRttC Friday Night Ride to......Brighton on Friday 17th June

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hatler

Guru
Yup. The road up to Ditchling Beacon (Ditchling Bostall according to Google Maps) is in fantastic condition.

In other news, I'm angling for an alternative provider of coffee, but it's a bit of a long shot. Also, at slightly shorter odds, is the chance that little miss hatler might be able to join us for the Ditchling > Brighton stretch.
Huzzah !! Looks like I have wangled it for little miss hatler to join us from Ditchling. I'll scoot off as we approach the general area to sweep her up from Blackberry Wood and then join you all again at the greenhouses.

I'm not sure I trust her with coffee duties though.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Were it possible for thumbs to wince, mine would be doing so in response to the memory of fitting the damned things to our office Brompton. Ouch.
You'll only need to do it once in about 6 years of daily riding.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Actually....I've just remembered. I would ban Kojaks. A certain, distinguished Kojak-shod Bromptoniste told me that he had no problem fixing punctures. I clocked his innertubes. I reckon he'd had more practice than a Kwikfit fitter.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Actually....I've just remembered. I would ban Kojaks. A certain, distinguished Kojak-shod Bromptoniste told me that he had no problem fixing punctures. I clocked his innertubes. I reckon he'd had more practice than a Kwikfit fitter.
I remembered the frequent invocations against Kojaks, hadn't got round to posting myself....
Durano Plus would be an excellent Brommie tyre, if they were available in 349.....

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
You've now frightened me into considering buying a tin of that gloopy stuff that you squirt into tyres as a temporary puncture fix. So if you see a scary apparition at the side of the road, covered in gloop, looking like an extra from "The Blob", it'll be me. Or maybe some preventative gloopy stuff. There seem to be a wide variety of gloops on the market. Time for some gloop-googling.

swansonj

Guru
I understand all the issues with Bromptons, having embarrassed myself earlier this year when I had to change my first Brompton rear in about six years, and that was in my drive in daylight. But, to start placing explicit conditions on expertise or equipment for joining a Friday, wouldn't that be a bit of a change to the ethos?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
On second thoughts, seeing that the trains will be busy, I'll use my serious non-clown bike and ride home. Thus freeing space on the train for others, avoiding having to ride a crammed train, and also reducing the level of Brommie-fear in the TECs.

Tim Hall

I understand all the issues with Bromptons, having embarrassed myself earlier this year when I had to change my first Brompton rear in about six years, and that was in my drive in daylight. But, to start placing explicit conditions on expertise or equipment for joining a Friday, wouldn't that be a bit of a change to the ethos?
It does seem that way. Perhaps there's a tadge of overthinking going on. (Mind you, did anyone count, and revel in, the number of mudguards on the Shoreham ride?)

_aD

Do not touch suspicious objects
It does seem that way. Perhaps there's a tadge of overthinking going on. (Mind you, did anyone count, and revel in, the number of mudguards on the Shoreham ride?)
I took off my pie plate, how dare you ask more!

mmmmartin

Random geezer
to start placing explicit conditions on expertise or equipment for joining a Friday, wouldn't that be a bit of a change to the ethos?
Agreed, and of course it would be.

But if someone turns up with a bike that needs a specific inner tube and expects the TECs to have bought and carry a range of inner tubes to fit all bikes, and to change that inner tube using spanners they're unlikely to have, then aforesaid person could be described in the vernacular, as taking the p!ss. Up with which we should not put. TECs are volunteeers and not to be taken for granted.

Last edited:

Tim Hall

Agreed, and of course it would be.

But if someone turns up with a bike that needs a specific inner tube and expects the TECs to have bought and carry a range of inner tubes to fit all bikes, and to change that inner tube using spanners they're unlikely to have, then aforesaid person could be described in the vernacular, as taking the p!ss. Up with which we should not put. TECs are volunteeers and not to be taken for granted.
That sort of thing is covered in the basics, shirley?

Things to bring: A couple of spare inner tubes, tyre levers and a pump. (If your wheels take a tube size other than 700c x 23-28, the Tail End Charlies probably won't have your size amongst his spares so do bring your own.)

(BTW, a lovely medal and splendid card was waiting on the mat when I got home on Saturday. Thanks very much)

kimble

Veteran
That sort of thing is covered in the basics, shirley?

My thoughts exactly. I know there's a fuzzy line between expecting riders to be self-sufficient and encouraging newbies or those who are just plain allergic to fettling, but turning up without the appropriate spares and tools and at least a rudimentary understanding of how to use them is IMHO Not On. And that counts triple if you've got exotica like hub gears.

That said, I've carried an adjustable spanner and Shimano lockring tool (NBT2 is clever, but it's no use for Centerlock disc rotors) on pretty much every FNRttC I've done, am never short of an unusually sized inner tube, and firmly believe in Proper Tyres when riding in a group.

Anyway, you won't get to watch me field-strip an XRF-8 blindfold on this occasion. Maybe next year. ^_^

Top Bottom