FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast 19th November - Brighton 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've been the only 3 wheel bent in the rides which I've been on so far.

Now we're getting 3 on the last ride of the year .......... :tongue:

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Yup

I've really got to pull out all the stops to persuade Auntie Helen to join us in March.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
the fancy one waaaay up the M6 in the Lake district does great food, but is a bit.... over fancy.

That would be Tebay, and it is the only services not owned by a big chain, but rather by "Westmorland Farm Shops". It also has a big farm shop style delicatessen . I think they are now going to build a new one on the M5 somewhere.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
[thinking out loud]

I may, it seems, have to participate in this FNRttC on an unofficial and partial basis. :angry:

I now need to go to a meeting, about local cycling provision, early on the Friday evening and am odds on, as a result, to miss the last two trains (21:52 & 22:02) that get me to Victoria before the off. I might be able to cycle over from the meeting to Gatwick and get the 23:05 Gatwick Excess but if I miss one that I won't get to Vic. until five-to-midnight. Which cuts it rather too fine for comfort. :ohmy:

Now, if one knew in advance, even just a bit in advance, precisely what route the ride might take, and what fixed points north of Gatwick it will pass through regardless of southern weather induced meanderings, and at roughly what time such passage might occur, well, one might be able to attend the meeting, do one's bit for cycling, queen and country, and then head north, perhaps by train, perhaps by muesli and perspiration, and intercept the ride as it sweeps southwards to help Brighton in maintaining the look of a town that is helping police with their enquiries.

The question is, would the pre-talced and mighty one allow, indeed even aid and abet, such outrageously lightweight behaviour? Well there is no harm in asking is there?

[/thinking out loud] :whistle:

Simon, can I jump on the ride en-route and if so where might be a good spot to lurk? Is the route north of say Gatwick fixed regardless of weather?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
That would be Tebay, and it is the only services not owned by a big chain, but rather by "Westmorland Farm Shops". It also has a big farm shop style delicatessen . I think they are now going to build a new one on the M5 somewhere.

and the same lovely peeps are opening one in Gloucestershire too it seems.

frank9755

Cyclist
and the same lovely peeps are opening one in Gloucestershire too it seems.

That is good news. Tebay was the only one I could think of that serves anything like decent food. The next best thing I've found on the network has been a Marks & Spencer sandwich.

The big chains have been through the ownership of various private equity firms who saw them as a great source of stable cash flows against which they could borrow lots of money. To maximise said cash flows they pushed the prices up and up, and reduced staffing costs - leading to a horrible value for money / user experience combination.

I promise not to talk about service stations any more!

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Greg - that will be fine. We'll almost certainly be dining at the Cabin Cafe. Why not meet us there?

What I can't tell you is the route we will take. If it's very fine and clear we'll go down the A237, up Portnalls, through Chipstead, through Reigate, down Lonesome Lane, through Horley and then strike off across country to Lambs Green and Faygate. If it's not so clear then we'll go down the A24 and then branch off through Blackbrook, Henfold, Newdigate and Rusper. If the weather is awful it's Lonesome Lane and then the A23, the Crawley Ring Road and the A264. Adrian will bring his surfboard. Why not call me at about 2 am.

Post Faygate - if the weather is really clear then it's the Lower Beeding variation as tested by the redoubtable Davywalnutwhip, and Devil's Dyke, with a diversion by the golf course. If the weather is ok-ish we go to Ditchling. If it's crap then it's Cuckfield and down the B2036 to the horrible cycle path. But, then again, that depends on time......

theclaud

Openly Marxist

Mmmmmm. Pies.....

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
if you really want to meet us at the start then Adrian's right. Go out of the station on the platform 18 side, and head for Chelsea Bridge.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Because you'll be taking a chance

if memory serves

2006 - 3 intrepid souls ride to Bracklesham Bay. Flying Dodo's eye freezes shut. My beard is crisp and white. I am forced to wear longs.

2007 - Six or seven of us ride to Brighton - straight down the A23, the B2036 and the A23 again. It's damned cold. I stop to wait for the others. Ten metres on a pipe had fractured, creating a sheet of ice. If I hadn't stopped we'd have been on our backsides

2008 - mild enough to be May. About 30 of us arrive in Brighton thinking we should have brought the sun cream

2009 - the BBC predicts 5mm of rain. We get 20mm - the wettest FNRttC ever. Rain bounces nine inches off the tarmac. Roads flood. Adrian and I get drenched from head to foot by the bow wave of a passing car. We sustain 12 punctures. The ride is only redeemed by the solicitude of various male FNRttCers of a certain age accompanying Katarzyna on her shopping bike. Competition for TEC places has never been so intense.

Bear in mind, particularly those of you who might be booking long distance rail tickets, that if there is a chance of ice I'll pull the ride.

I intend to have a chat with Mark at the Cabin Cafe. Our arrangement in previous years has been that if we have twentyfive riders then we can stop by - to ask him to get up so early for less would be wrong. If it is a very small ride we'll pop in to our favourite airport. If it's just shy of the 25 we'll go to the only motorway service station in England that is not actually on a motorway. The route will therefore depend on the numbers and on the weather - if it's a clear warm night we might just go for the Lower Beeding Variation. If it chucks it down it's Cuckfield and Haywards Heath.

The ride won't fill, so take your time about registering - I'll close it on the 12th

Simon C
Joe R
Jef C
Fahd C
Nicholas G
Matt C
Trevor L
Karen F
Susie F
Ian A
Stuart A
Matt L
Martin N
User S
Paul McN
Clive P
Nigel W (who will presumably wear a t-shirt, whatever the weather)
Luke C
Peter L
Davy S
Martin F
Gaz W
Tim D
Scott D
Marcus C
Ross C
Martin T
Rebecca T
Jonathon T
Frank P
Hannah L
Lee T
Steve vw
Charlie B
Andrew B
Edmar G
Abdikani A
Clive B
Mick D
Marilyn B
Greg C
Adrian C
Miranda S - which makes, if I'm not mistaken, a trio of trikes! We have a convoy!
David W
Rebecca O-B - good news about the knee
Richard R
Andrew K
Andy M
Dave J
David F
John E
Andy H
Martin W
Simon A
Chris B