FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast York to Hull 19 April, 2013

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I think it has potential as a daytime ride jobbee (any takers? 1st York train out of KGX on a Saturday is 06:15, arrives York 08:31, costs £22.60, hmmmm... Anyone?)
I'm potentially interested provided that I'd be able to hack the intended pace, and subject to the usual scheduling shenanigans. I could then fit in a family visit in Driffield.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Have you met our Jim? ^_^

And have we met? Several of us were saying that night how hard it is sometimes to connect forum names with real people, and I'm just not sure who you are. Next time I must call out 'Dogtrousers!' and see who responds - though maybe not in a crowded café.

I'm Andrew, the tall chap on the old grey Dawes. I'm a miserable git not normally very chatty but we may well have met. Yesterday I was riding with my much more talkative Scottish friend Marjorie, and you're more likely to have met her.

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
As for the last small point, or points, I understand now why you weren't indicating the turn. Fumbling desperately in the cold and dark for something were you?

No fumbling but I really wanted to disappear into the bushes for a few minutes.
I couldn't though 'cos that would have meant leaving my post and, as you know, my devotion to the cause is absolute. Talibanesque you might say.

Lovely to see you again btw :hugs:

:hello:

Snail Bait

Fab ride. Got home about 4pm and went for a quick nap. Woke up at 7.30 this morning.

Thanks to Simon for the organisation, to the unknown donor of a bike space from Kings Cross and to the lovely guards on the 1030 home who let me on with no bike reservation. I'd come prepared with black bags and a roll of Sellotape ready to take the wheels off, wrap it up and pretend it was luggage.

Can't do Brighton due to the lure of some overtime on Saturday but see you all soon and roll on La France.

There was some interest, which I forgot to mention in my earlier report, about the Ordnance Survey's bleakest kilometre square near Ousefleet. There is nothing in it to trouble the map-makers other than a small stretch of high-voltage cable which hangs over the southwest corner. Kim, of this parish, thought there might be a pylon within the KM square, but I am delighted to be able to report that, having studied the satellite view on Google, and compared it to Ordnance Survey, that there are no pylons within the square. http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=482989&Y=422260&A=Y&Z=120 refers. The arrow marks the pylon nearest to the square, but it is just outside.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Fab ride. Got home about 4pm and went for a quick nap. Woke up at 7.30 this morning.

Lightweight! :thumbsup:

I arrived at the start for FNRttC after attending a Frank Turner gig in the Refectory at Leeds University. I got home around 2.15, had a shower and a bite to eat then went into Leeds to see The Ukrainians do a free gig at 4pm at Jumbo Records and joined the band for a post gig drink and fish and chips and arrived back home at 20:30. Up at 6:45 with a vague intention of doing a 50 km hilly Audax at Hebden Bridge before deciding that being a couch potato today was a more appealing activity.

U

User10571

So, this is the point at which I have a memory fail :sad:
I had a discussion with someone (most likely male) could've been at any point during the ride, about something (could be anything) and I said that I'd send them a link......
That's about as much as I can remember.
If that was you, please make yourself known.
(Things weren't quite right as we approached the half -way stop, in as much as I was seeing the road surface covered in what looked like coloured patches of confetti = cold/hungry/tired/etc)

vernon

There was some interest, which I forgot to mention in my earlier report, about the Ordnance Survey's bleakest kilometre square near Ousefleet. There is nothing in it to trouble the map-makers other than a small stretch of high-voltage cable which hangs over the southwest corner. Kim, of this parish, thought there might be a pylon within the KM square, but I am delighted to be able to report that, having studied the satellite view on Google, and compared it to Ordnance Survey, that there are no pylons within the square. http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=482989&Y=422260&A=Y&Z=120 refers. The arrow marks the pylon nearest to the square, but it is just outside.

I had a similar conversation with someone on the ride, Agent Hilda possibly, and postulated that despite the fact that the square appeared to house a pylon, it probably only housed the symbol.

It's worth being out there during daylight hours. It's as unappealing as an unappealing thing when you can see it.

vernon

So, this is the point at which I have a memory fail :sad:
I had a discussion with someone (most likely male) could've been at any point during the ride, about something (could be anything) and I said that I'd send them a link......
That's about as much as I can remember.
If that was you, please make yourself known.
(Things weren't quite right as we approached the half -way stop, in as much as I was seeing the road surface covered in what looked like coloured patches of confetti = cold/hungry/tired/etc)

It might have been Flying Dodo. You discussed the weirdness to him in Hull...

Top Bottom