Friday Night Ride To Whitstable. 19th Aug 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well that was all A Bit Good. It was my first time on a Fridays ride and I'm very glad I finally got round to it. A couple of things really stood out to my newbie eyes. First off, how easy and stress-free it was to get round because of all the work being done by the ride leader, waymarkers, TECs, halfway stop volunteers and the regulars who shared banter and roadcraft throughout the ride. It's clear that a lot of effort and expertise - and care - went into the ride and it created a stonkingly good experience. Secondly, how friendly everyone was, regulars and first-timers alike.

I don't know what previous Whitstable routes were like but I liked the variety of this one and I enjoyed the canal path (and not just 'cos it justified the newly-acquired front light). I guess the path might not have been as much fun in the wet and I am glad I didn't have to put my foot on the ground in the middle section: there's evidently, somewhere in Gravesend, a very large dog with a very bad digestive ailment.

My only regret is not saying 'hello' to the rider I spotted in Clapham on the way to the meet-up. I see now that if the time and direction of travel didn't mark them out as a Fridays rider, the Carradice should have...

And thank you for coming along, and glad you enjoyed the ride. This year, it's been really gratifying to see how many new people have signed up and come along on a night ride, and been able to enjoy a completely different form of cycling.

And as a general advert, there's still 2 more rides left in this year's calendar, both of which will offer something different from each other and will also provide something a bit unusual from our previous destinations.

Including an airport we haven't used before.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Planning for this one started, in my case, some months ago. The date had already been set when Ministry announced a UK tour, solitary London date on the Saturday night. As with Southend in March (Underworld gig on Good Friday), the option of getting home and then back up to the smoke wasn't a sensible one. I had absolutely no intention of missing the show, had bought my ticket for that pronto in any case, and Whitstable is a favourite of mine. Solution: a room for the night at LSE Bankside (directly opposite Tate Modern) for £36 including breakfast. I was intending to stash the bike in the room, hence the choice of Chutney (somewhat less valuable than the other bike with a rack, and it folds...) In the end, as posted above, the outside bike parking (well lit, right by 24hr manned reception & covered by CCTV) was fine, so used that rather than negotiate many, many fire doors.

Luggage was therefore in two panniers not one. This, and the sheer act of being on a folder, led some new riders to remark on what hard work it must be, 'well dones' on the sprint into Whitstable…well meant words, but (i) It's a road bike, just one that has small wheels and a couple of hinges- oh, and the front one's lighter than whatever you have on your bikes (ii) The engine's the same, he rides a lot, and he (very) thoroughly carb-loaded at the halfway stop thanks to the fine efforts of Mr & Mrs Decker. All those calories were well-used in those seven miles, and not because of wheel size or luggage. Needed to make room for breakfast :smile:

As ever for a night ride in a working week, it was a case of all clear-race to station-get on train (other options are, as Sam Goldwyn allegedly said, 'in two words, im possible'). Unlike the last Whitstable ride, I had time enough to make the 2138 rather than hanging about for half an hour. Given the start location, I opted to go straight there rather than Victoria, and that stretch proved a bit of a trudge thanks to roadworks and red lights. Nonetheless, there in plenty of time (or more accurately, outside the pub across the road, where the early arrivals had gathered!). Lovely to see @iZaP back again after a long, long time (nice bike BTW), and to congratulate the Transcontinental @frank9755 on his recent exploits.

Jolly good route for the most part. Woolwich variation was a definite improvement on earlier versions. Can't say I enjoyed the canal path much this time- as for Manchester-Morecambe, I was on the wrong bike for that kind of surface, smaller wheels are much more vulnerable to skipping about, but I doubt I've have enjoyed it much on the Litespeed either, frankly. Bad dog! Bad dog! Or more accurately, bad dog owner!

As ever, the stop in Strood made giving to charity a delicious pleasure. What was that fruit cake with the frosting (well, apart from excellent, obviously) ? I put a tenner in the bucket as like others, I have a bird-like appetite. In my case though, it's like that of Big Bird. I always go back for seconds & it only seemed proper to chip in more. Our exit saw a discussion on one of those bizarre (and legally nonsensical) 'Legal Name Fraud' billboards, before I had rather a long waymarking stint on account of the puncture (good call getting the track pump).

Basser Hill defeated me again (not down to the extra weight, it's a slog at the best of times). Once again, Angry Woman of Faversham was missing presumed incoherent. And then, time for the sprint. Early position in the peloton ruled out even a brief challenge for the win, and a whole four minutes slower than my best time for the seven mile stretch. A mere 17.5 mph average though, so not too shabby....Having worked up an appetite, the large Waterfront sated it (for a bit), before heading back into the smoke on the 1028, back into Victoria just before noon. Couldn't check into LSE Bankside until three, so pootled down to Brixton Cycles to find my name on the wall, along with quite a few other familiar ones, before back up to the south bank & a most excellent Italian lunch at Vapiano- recommended (Tour peeps, branches in Tilburg, Cologne & Aachen...). Into the digs, a couple of hours kip, and then up to Kentish Town & a splendid evening's entertainment from Al Jourgensen & band. Back home after an excellent breakfast this morning.

Splendid job Tim, thanks one and all!

Last edited:

TimO

Guru
If anyone needs a recollection of exactly where we went, here is the GPS recording of it, on GPSies. Some of the stationary blobs have been removed, and the bit where I went back to check on a puncture, but those weren't useful. :smile:

I've left in the Strood halfway stop, and brief foray into a Sainsburys car park.

FNRttC_Whitstable_20160820_Overview.png

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
This is a ride I would love to take part in, I gather about 80 miles, how long did it take?
I suppose I would need a second set of lights too.
I'm sure you'd be very welcome. 80 miles? No, in this case it was 64 miles. We were arriving at the Waterfront from 8.30 or so.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I don't know what that is, but my lights use AA batteries and they last for much longer than 8 hours. I'm not convinced that the rechargeable ones are an advantage really, especially the USB ones which I have heard just suddenly fail rather than fading away, so you always need a back-up.

What lights are they TMN, sounds good and replacement batteries are cheaper than a new £80 light and easier to get back up and running on the road, just find a petrol station etc....

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
What lights are they TMN, sounds good and replacement batteries are cheaper than a new £80 light and easier to get back up and running on the road, just find a petrol station etc....
Or use rechargeable AAs. I use a 4xAA Hope Vision 1, that has never failed to last a full night on 4x rechargeables (only use super power beam sparingly). And carry plenty of spares. (Hint. When carrying spare rechargeable AAs, take ones that you have just recharged, not duds. Keep the on-road flat ones separate. DAMHIKT)

martint235

Dog on a bike
Or use rechargeable AAs. I use a 4xAA Hope Vision 1, that has never failed to last a full night on 4x rechargeables (only use super power beam sparingly). And carry plenty of spares. (Hint. When carrying spare rechargeable AAs, take ones that you have just recharged, not duds. Keep the on-road flat ones separate. DAMHIKT)
Hope Vision 1s are well thought off in the night riding community. You can usually pick them up for around £60 and they take rechargeable and normal AAs

frank9755

Cyclist
I had a Hope Vision One bounce off my bike when I hit an expansion joint at full speed on a descent the other day. The joint really needed a bunny hop but I was on the aerobars so couldn't do it. I went back for it, where it had landed about 30m down the road from the expansion joint and it had a small scratch on it. Otherwise it was fine. That was the light I used for Whitstable. They are not the newest, lightest in weight, or have the best beam pattern, but they are well made and last a long time!

Fergs

Guru
@Salty seadog: I was in the same boat as yourself when I signed up for Whitstable. After much digging around on here and t'other forum beloved of audaxers I went for the ixon iq premium. Shedloads of light, a beam pattern that shows the whole road and it runs off AAs so I can bring spares and not worry about burn time. Rose bikes delivered it in a couple of days.

Top Bottom