Friend insanely close passed by team sky coach

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
This:

Many will say “make eye contact, this ensures they have seen you”, absolute rubbish this, half the time they will be looking not at you but right through you.

Was news to me, not so much the wheels which I do as well and will now do much more assiduously, but the eye contact, I've always done that and it appears I've always been wrong.

Not always, just half the time. :rolleyes:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Incidentally, IME and completely unscientifically, I find that the trade of the HGV seems to make a difference.
Interesting. In town, I feel most HGVs are dangerously unsafe - roll on Econic and its elk - but out of town, few are troublesome. All the local HGV firms are very good except Norbert Dentressangle.

But the commercial drivers who behave worst are those of Stagecoach buses. Twice today, I almost ended up riding a bus completely involuntarily: a CH1 at lunchtime and a number 48 this afternoon. Maybe Sky hired an ex Stagecoach driver?

Interesting. In town, I feel most HGVs are dangerously unsafe - roll on Econic and its elk - but out of town, few are troublesome. All the local HGV firms are very good except Norbert Dentressangle.

But the commercial drivers who behave worst are those of Stagecoach buses. Twice today, I almost ended up riding a bus completely involuntarily: a CH1 at lunchtime and a number 48 this afternoon. Maybe Sky hired an ex Stagecoach driver?
Stagecoach bus drivers have invoked 14 complaints so far this year from me (all backed up by camera footage). They are beyond belief, not just close, but often touching. Absolute monkeys. I know 2 drivers have been shown the door, 2 more are on shaky ground. Absolute baw bags, I don't know where they find them.

D

Deleted member 26715

Had 2 incidents with Stagecoach that stand out this year.

Couple of months ago went to cross the road, looked to my right & the traffic lights had just turned red, looked left stagecoach coming 100 yards away, so figured it would be safe to cross as the single decker would be slowing down, I was wrong he came barreling through I had to stop dead or I would have been, he then continued straight through the red light.

Last Tuesday sat at a set of lights (granted in car) lights went to green & as I started to move forward a stagecoach single decker came from the right, he'd had to come across a dual carriageway to get there, he must have come through red.

First incident reported as I had the route number & partial registration, 2nd no details other than time.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
When a "Professional cyclist" retires is she/he then an "amateur" ?
If one follows the train of thought above, yes, but probably more likely to be referred to as a "former pro cyclist".

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
It's a crying shame, isn't it? Buses should be natural allies of cycling - fewer, high-passenger-capacity vehicles driven by better-trained motorists - but so many drive like pollocks :sad:
You should spend more time in London. There's the odd exception but most are excellent. Down to familiarity I expect.

vickster

Legendary Member
You should spend more time in London. There's the odd exception but most are excellent. Down to familiarity I expect.
Do you mean the red bus drivers who pass you having forgotten where the stops are on their routes and slam the brakes on straight after overtaking? I'd say there are plenty of those especially outside the centre of town :angry:

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Do you mean the red bus drivers who pass you having forgotten where the stops are on their routes and slam the brakes on straight after overtaking? I'd say there are plenty of those especially outside the centre of town :angry:
I guess your experience on south London roads is different to mine. What you describe has happened to me, of course, but it's a long way from normal. On my commute, mostly A23, most bus drivers follow me at a sensible distance and allow me to pass before pulling out from stops.

vickster

Legendary Member
This isn't during commuting time generally, perhaps if the bus is in slow traffic the drivers suffer less from MGIF disease

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
This isn't during commuting time generally, perhaps if the bus is in slow traffic the drivers suffer less from MGIF disease
I've commented elsewhere that my daytime experiences of London buses is much worse than what others report commuting. Still few as bad as Stagecoach in rural areas, though.

Top Bottom