Friends - reunited?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I just went on FR to check out a girl I went out with for 2 (effing) years when I was at uni and I can't remember her bleedin' surname. Senility is creeping up and foiling my nefarious plans. Just as well probably - she may not have aged as gracefully as me!

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I was contacted by an old girlfriend on FR. Luckily after an exchange of emails she realised i'd turned into a boring old sod and I never heard from her again. I was bluffing tho'.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Two of my best mates wives, who I have known since school, my mates, not the wives, got onto friends reunited, met up with old school friends/ boyfriends and buggered off with them. Twenty plus years of marrage down the plug at a stroke. Go there at your peril, unless you know what your looking for.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
I managed to track down someone who was my best pal and room mate at uni back in the seventies. We had a good natter on the phone for maybe an hour, and left it that one of us would call in the unspecified future. That was two years since. Says something about him or me or both. Ah well.......happy memories.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
A significant ex of mine has been in contact through Facebook. We've not been in touch for 13 years (excepting one sole exchange of letters). We didn't resolve things at the time we split up, but think both thought of the other with fondness and a hope that the other was doing ok.

We've had a whistlestop p.m. tour of the last 13 years, ascertained that things have worked out pretty well on both sides and that a lot of water has gone under the bridge (he's also on his second marriage!). It was good to catch up and we both know where the other is if we ever want to say another virtual hello.

Luckily Chuffy understands about things like this and is sensible enough to know that I'm not about to go running off. I think if you're convinced in yourself that you only want to catch up and see how things turned out then it would be good to send a message.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Paulus said:
Two of my best mates wives, who I have known since school, my mates, not the wives, got onto friends reunited, met up with old school friends/ boyfriends and buggered off with them. Twenty plus years of marrage down the plug at a stroke. Go there at your peril, unless you know what your looking for.
It's happened to a lot of people - the internet is both a boon and a bane, but there's nothing to say that if they hadn't done this through Friends Reunited they wouldn't have met someone through another route.

If people aren't happy in a relationship, they might suddenly find something even when they aren't looking (which is what happened to me) ;).

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I have read people's comments, and they have raised many points to think about.

My situation is similar to Baggy's situation in some ways. Except it is a lot longer since we were in contact. It was he who ended the relationship, not once, but twice ;). He then apparently got itchy feet and moved several times over following years.

I have often wondered if he is OK, and and hoped that he was living very happily with someone.

yenrod

Aperitif said:
Speicher- 'The medium is the massage'... in other words, if you are happy then fine - but you have many jobs to do here and for the team...:smile:

Write him a short note saying what a loss he must have experienced at the time of your parting etc and that you are team Cyclechatta's masseuse...wish him well and wait for a reply...

Well shes taking her time gettin round to do me ;)

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I, about a month back came inot contact with an old mate. we didnt goto school together just lived in the same road...

20 odd years go by....

Then he gets an email from FRu saying get in touch with me...

I get similiar (the otehr way round)...

I, for the life of me cannot remember going on the site to contact him.

He is of the same opinion.

:smile:

Still, it was good seeing an 'old' mate of 20yrs..and he only lives 2-3 mls up road... :biggrin: :biggrin:

Bizarre.

simonali

Guru
It costs £7.50 to contact anyone on there doesn't it? I tried sending emails to a bunch of peeps I went to school with and who all had "would love to hear from anyone who remembers me" in their profiles and only about 3 replied.

Why put that if you're not going to answer?!

yenrod

simonali said:
It costs £7.50 to contact anyone on there doesn't it? I tried sending emails to a bunch of peeps I went to school with and who all had "would love to hear from anyone who remembers me" in their profiles and only about 3 replied.

Why put that if you're not going to answer?!

No its free Simon!

simonali

Guru
They used to charge £7.50 for 6 months subscription! It would appear the revenue now comes from adverts on the site, as it's owned by ITV.

gavintc

Guru
I met up recently for coffee with my first ever girlfriend from when I was 13. I had not even seen her since I was 18. We chatted for about an hour, reviewed the intervening years and left it at that. To be honest, I was disappointed. Your memory of a teenager is a lot more interesting than a 50 yr old woman. Still it was good to chat. Apparently our parents still meet occasionally for a chat. But, it is dangerous territory and you need to be fully aware of the potential problems.

Top Bottom