From the Leicerster Mercury

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Will1985 said:
You have mentioned this 2 accidents in 18 events twice now....what about the hundreds of thousands of cars which have passed through in the same period?
You say that you are concerned about club testing, fair enough, but the only way round that is to deal with the villagers sensibly. Blaming the villagers for not understanding how fast you boys can be is missing the point and it won't do anything to help.

Will1985 said:
Latest info on TTF from following riders suggested that the old boy pulled out on the tester. This makes all discussion irrelevant if true, although if the man had been driving we would be sending get well messages to the tester.
Yay Google Maps...
The old boy was on the main road (Main Street) and turning right. The tester was coming up behind and ran into the back of him, yes? In a nutshell the tester either wasn't paying close enough attention to what traffic ahead was doing (ie, the old boy) or didn't make enough allowance for what the old chap was doing. Either way, he showed poor judgement while overtaking slower traffic. Would any of us make excuses for a driver who had done the same?

Will1985

Über Member
I agree that education is the way to go, but not just locals....all car drivers should be reminded of the vulnerability and potential speed of cyclists - this would help the cycling community as a whole.

Sadly villagers in places who want testing banned tend to be nimbys with nothing better to do....you can't educate them. They are also usually the ones on the parish councils pressuring the police. I'll say again....cars are more dangerous than cyclists, but we don't hear about them being banned!

Will1985 said:
I agree that education is the way to go, but not just locals....all car drivers should be reminded of the vulnerability and potential speed of cyclists - this would help the cycling community as a whole.
Hmm, I didn't mention education, you're being naughty again. What I had in mind was the club engaging with the villagers and perhaps coming to some compromise. Maybe letting the village know about events well in advance, better signage, more marshalls at sensitive points, whatever. And perhaps instead of just shrugging off any criticism as 'nimbys' the clubs riders could look at the way that they ride through places like this and be a little more considerate?

Sadly villagers in places who want testing banned tend to be nimbys with nothing better to do....you can't educate them. They are also usually the ones on the parish councils pressuring the police. I'll say again....cars are more dangerous than cyclists, but we don't hear about them being banned!
They'll be pressuring for speed restrictions, more speed cameras and traffic calming measures too. I used to process survey forms from rural villages and traffic related issues came up time and and time again. If clubs want to save TTing then they're going to have to be more constructive in the way that they engage with the villages which have a problem than just dismissing them as nimbys.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Chuffy said:
In a nutshell the tester either wasn't paying close enough attention to what traffic ahead was doing (ie, the old boy) or didn't make enough allowance for what the old chap was doing.
Or option three, he moved out to overtake just as the old gent decided to turn right without signalling and moved into his path

We don't know which of these is true, but all are plausible

coruskate said:
Or option three, he moved out to overtake just as the old gent decided to turn right without signalling and moved into his path

We don't know which of these is true, but all are plausible
They're all variations on a theme really and boil down to a poorly executed overtaking manoeuvre.

stumpy

Chuffy said:
They're all variations on a theme really and boil down to a poorly executed overtaking manoeuvre.

That may be a bit harsh...I've had slower riders pull out on me whilst overtaking them...How wide a berth should you give them?? :tongue: If the old boy pulled out without looking behind him then maybe the higher amount of blame should really rest with him. I do agree that consultation with the villagers would be the most helpful and probably the best way to solve any issues though.

maybe a bell (A carbon fibre one) on your tri bars would solve the problem????:becool:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
This is my favourite comment so far.

"And why do they shave their legs and wear lycra? Can't they just do their time trials during GayPride and then everyone would be happy."

Dan B

Disengaged member
stumpy said:
That may be a bit harsh...I've had slower riders pull out on me whilst overtaking them...How wide a berth should you give them??
I was thinking about that. If I overtook someone in a group ride and they swerved into me without warning I'd be very upset about it, but the HC advice for overtaking cyclists is to allow "as much room as you would give a car", and on reflection I think that should apply when it's a cyclist overtaking just as it would for a car driver.

Top Bottom