Front lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
these cheap Cree bike lights should be treated exactly as per the price, disposable ! If you get a winter or maybe two out of them great, but in my experience they don`t last . Best options are too think ahead and buy branded stuff in sales. Got my Moon XP780 in a sale last year for half price, decent torch still running a Cree and plenty light even on medium just don`t shine at people.

Goggs

Guru
I'm kinda a Cate-Eye fanboy. I remember when they first hit the scene and everything they made just worked. But I'm open to anything that will ship to France at a reasonable cost. My specific problem is that I live in the sticks so I need a light to see with rather than just to be seen.

oldstrath

Über Member
I'm kinda a Cate-Eye fanboy. I remember when they first hit the scene and everything they made just worked. But I'm open to anything that will ship to France at a reasonable cost. My specific problem is that I live in the sticks so I need a light to see with rather than just to be seen.
Presumably Rose and other German shops will ship to France, so something like the Ixon IQ Premium or the Cateye Gvolt 80?

numbnuts

Legendary Member
these cheap Cree bike lights should be treated exactly as per the price, disposable ! If you get a winter or maybe two out of them great, but in my experience they don`t last . Best options are too think ahead and buy branded stuff in sales. Got my Moon XP780 in a sale last year for half price, decent torch still running a Cree and plenty light even on medium just don`t shine at people.
3 years and still going strong use day and night time too maybe I got two good ones.

dim

3 years and still going strong use day and night time too maybe I got two good ones.

I'm on the second year with mine .... I have used it all week so far, as I work till 7pm .... the battery charges fast, the light is powerful and it only cost me £13 .... if it does pack up, I will gladly pay another £13 for another. During winter, I use it daily (morning and night).... other lights with this amount of power cost hundreds

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I got about a year out of my Chinese lights , maybe unlucky but as I say if paying cheap I suppose what's the issue just replace ! Decided to pay a wee bit more in fact i may even go the whole hog and buy something from Exposure !

Klassikbike

When I realised the branded 300 Lumen light was brighter and just better in any way (Except for price) than my 1200 Lumen Cree light I stopped using unbranded lights. Ive ridden my Cateye Lights the past 4 Years through Heavy Typhoons (Aaaa lot of rain) crashed with the bike falling on the lights first, they are still going strong.

Goggs

Guru
Busch Mueller Ixon IQ Premium - http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/ixon-iq-premium-led-accumulator-headlamp-139355?lang=en

And from rose, amazon, etc. Uses AA rechargeables (eneloop xx for preference), good light pattern, 5 hours on full, good customer service from BuMM. Works fine as sole front light on my unlit commute.

Could you say how well this light might fit to an ovalized handlebar? Is the bracket rigid plastic or is it flexible? Thanks for the suggestion.

I have one of these that I bought for £13 off ebay last year .... worked flawlessly during winter last year, and still works perfect. I cycle on dark cycle lanes/roads daily and I use this light with the headstrap. I use it set to low (it has 3 settings), and on low, it's superbright (like a pair of Volvo bus headlights). By using it on the headband, I can look to the left or right if an oncoming car or cyclist is approaching, so as not to blind them

s-l1600.jpg
er, didn't the poster above say that they wanted something not super bright? And with internal batteries? Or was I mistaken/dazzled by your ****

OP, I would check out the Smart Lunar 60 (google for various stockists) run with rechargeable internal AAs. Can sometimes be had super cheap.

bikeman66

I'm looking for a decent front light to go with my eBay purchased Cree powered crazy light. Requirements are for a light to see by on semi-unlit roads but mainly as a backup.

I previously had an old cateye el135 I think it was which did this well (about 4 years old).

Ideally around 30quid but can go higher if needed. Lezyne micro drive 400 is one I'm considering. Thoughts please!
I have the Lezyne Micro Drive 400XL and I'm very happy with it. Solid design (as all Lezyne stuff seems to be). Gives out a good light, although the run time on full power isn't fantastic (ballpark with a lot of comparable lights on the market though). Still seriously visible on the lowest constant mode, which will give you a very much improved run time. Easy to attach to the bike, but make sure the strap is securely located on the hook on the bracket.

Pleased with 400XL and would definitely reccommend.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
*broken record* Cateye volt 300 or Smart 700 both hit the OP price point and requirements. I've used both in complete darkness to see by and been totally happy doing so, the 700 particularly, it kicks out more than enough light to see by, both are USB charge (volt micro, 700 mini) so will sit and charge happily from a phone or camera lead plugged into a socket or computer, good battery life for both, very robust and reliable lights, multiple power settings for longer life as a backup, the volt does the dual steady/flash thing which I like and both are lightweight compact units that are easily pocketable.

I use either now in preference to my Chinese magicshine clone which while being waaaaaayyyyyy brighter (and far brighter than I'd need for anything other than the Glentress black run at 3am in December) needs a lumpy battery pack, isn't nearly as strongly mounted and gets painfully hot to touch.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
The ever popular Hope Vision 1 is on offer from Evans at the moment. Built like a tank. Fits fat or skinny handlebars. Lasts all night. A favourite of the Fridays.

Probably a bit expensive for the OP's requirement for a sub £30 backup light, but anyway....

£64 for the light alone https://www.evanscycles.com/hope-vision-1-led-front-light-EV181070
Or £76 with batteries and a charger.
I have the previous version still going strong (the one without the battery warning light) and they have a reputation for their good after sales service not that I've needed it in the 6 plus years I've had my light.

Top Bottom