Fugly cruise ships.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Not only do the things look ghastly but the passengers are not any better. Where I love we get lots of them disgorging. Bus companies benefit as they get wheeched off to visit local castles etc but the local economy gets virtually nothing from them. My wife had a tourist type shop so I speak from experience.

Whereabouts is that? It is looking kinda familiar.

Is there a theoretical limit to the number of stories you can put on a cruise ship ? On land the number seems to be practically limitless, up to 1 mile high, but I imagine at sea other consideration apply.

Don't confuse 'liner' with 'cruise ship'. They are very different machines, designed for very different purposes.

The only 'liner' that's been built in recent years is the QM2.

image.jpeg

Effyb4

Veteran
My sister was a member of the crew on Provident and a few other similar boats. She used to teach groups to sail. Much more civilised than the monstrous cruise ship in the first post.

subaqua

What’s the point
Refrains from making Service Jokes about Submariners.
Rather be a submariner than a fish head

My sister was a member of the crew on Provident and a few other similar boats. She used to teach groups to sail. Much more civilised than the monstrous cruise ship in the first post.
The ship in the first post is the Harmony of the seas. At 227,000 tonnes, she's the biggest cruise ship ever built, and cost an eye popping 1 billion dollars. She's berthed round the corner from where I live.

I'm used to big ships coming and going, but this is a different league. Ugly as sin, but as an engineering triumph, quite something.

image.jpeg

AndyRM

XOXO
The ship in the first post is the Harmony of the seas. At 227,000 tonnes, she's the biggest cruise ship ever built, and cost an eye popping 1 billion dollars. She's berthed round the corner from where I live.

I'm used to big ships coming and going, but this is a different league. Ugly as sin, but as an engineering triumph, quite something.

View attachment 128969

Jeebus!

Is it the angle of the picture or is the top bit making a bid for freedom?

TVC

View attachment 128969
Definitely designed by committee. It takes real teamwork to come up with something that monsterous.

I did a Göta canal cruise on this boat.

The canals link some very large inland seas. I think there were about forty passengers on the voyage I did. It starts in Göteborg and ends in Stockholm. After a few days in Stockholm, I travelled back to Göteborg by train.

I did not know at the time, that @Dayvo was in Stockholm, as I had only recently joined Cyclechat.

Although I love the water, I am most definitely not a boat/ship/cruise person. But having lived in Stockholm for 14 years I have yet to see a stretch of water as beautiful as the Stockholm archipelago.

Get out on an old-fashioned boat like this
1446158250-11855695_409268522601341_5599801023691169425_n.jpg

and take days or weeks during the summer to explore at a very leisurely pace the islands and skerries outside Stockholm.

https://www.google.no/search?q=vaxh...pr=1#tbm=isch&q=stockholm+archipelago&imgrc=_

Absolute bliss: and this has to be my favourite image.

ImageVaultHandler.aspx.jpg

Top Bottom