Fussy eaters !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I completely agree.

It was same for my parents and me, and same for me and my son.
Ianrauk Jnr was a not only a fussy eater, sometimes he just wouldn't eat, even treats he wouldn't scoff up. He would spend over an hour eating a dinner, just pushing it around his plate. We never forced the issue. I basically said that's your dinner eat up. He was a skinny little runt, we took him to the doctors but they said nothing worng and that he would grow out of it, and he did. He's now 22, a strapping big lad and there is not much he doesn't like foodwise.

User482 said:
I was never forced to eat anything by my parents, but equally, alternatives were not offered. I think that gets you into the habit of trying different foods at an early age, which can only be a good thing.

ChrisKH

Guru
I think like many others from larger families, you ate what was offered (and more if you can get it!) otherwise you went hungry. I now have two sons; one will eat everything and anything (which is part of his problem) and the other who will only eat fruit, vegetables, fresh meat, brown bread (or variants) rather than white, rice (brown and white), doesn't eat cake or chocolate, and only eats until he is full then leaves the table. He will not eat junk food but is quite partial to a Macdonalds fries or apple pie occasionally. We can cope with that as by and large he otherwise has the perfect diet.

Compare then with his cousin who will only eat sausages, cheese pizza, bread and jam and cake. And carrot sticks. And anything from Macdonalds. Just like his father. He takes forever to eat and makes a big thing of it. Delays everyone else at the table. It infuriates me. Pure attention seeking behaviour IMO. I'm glad he's not mine, that's all I can say.

Flyingfox

mondobongo said:
I was very fussy as a child and an absolute nightmare to take to a Restaurant or Friends. Like Flying Fox I had a core of favourite foods eggs, fish fingers oxtail soup with the bits sieved out sausages again lots of fruit veg wise would only eat garden peas. Was taken to the Doctor at one point who said I was healthy and that I would grow out of it.

Am 41 now and whilst I am a million miles better than I was as a child still throw the odd swerveball love chicken cooked in a Tikka sauce but won't eat the sauce and love pizza but won't eat tomatoes or tomato sauce.

I'm like that - I like peanuts, but won't eat chocolate peanut bars, also don't like peanut butter.

Brahan

Über Member
Did anyone else need to do a second take on the title of this thread or is it just my mind in the gutter?

My friend feeds her kids very healthily and once when they were being looked after by their uncle he bought them fish and chips as a treat. They didn't eat it because there wasn't any vegetables. He was gutted. Hah.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
My daughter's another fussy eater with an appalling diet. No fresh fruit or veg - she'll eat cheese'n'tomato pizza, chips, turkey dinosaurs or chicken nuggets. And chocolate until it's coming out of her ears. This started when she was around 3 - her diet had been fine up until then.

I've tried every trick and suggestion in the book, but the problem was that I could tell her she'd eat what I had or starve and she'd starve herself knowing full well that come Monday she'd be back at her Mum's and given what she wanted - so I never won. Her Mum just kept giving in.

I used to go to pick her up on a Saturday morning to find her having Prawn Crackers as her breakfast ;)

Her Mum took her to the doc, worried about her eating but the doc declared her perfectly healthy. She's very tall for her age and will steam around all day on a Saturday so isn't lacking in energy. I just keep my fingers crossed that one day she'll discover other foods, and I never stop trying to encourage her to try other things in the hope she'll taste something she likes and might be encouraged to explore more.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Flyingfox said:
I'm like that - I like peanuts, but won't eat chocolate peanut bars, also don't like peanut butter.

Me too. Almost any nut salted and roasted, (or in the case of almonds, smoked:tongue:), but not raw, and not in things - why do they so often have to ruin chocolate spread with hazelnuts?

I remember pretty much the first time I drank Coke, at a school partywhen I was about 6 or 7, it was so sweet I got half way through and didn't want any more - I was used to milk, or tea.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Uncle Mort said:
Does that mean you don't like pralines either? ;)

No, neither Ferrero Rocher, which was unfortunate when I had an occasional boy friend who routinely presented me with a box. I had several mates who benefited from that...

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Arch said:
Me too. Almost any nut salted and roasted, (or in the case of almonds, smoked:tongue:), but not raw, and not in things - why do they so often have to ruin chocolate spread with hazelnuts?

I remember pretty much the first time I drank Coke, at a school partywhen I was about 6 or 7, it was so sweet I got half way through and didn't want any more - I was used to milk, or tea.

That reminds me of my daughter's one saving grace - she will only drink water or fresh orange. She cannot stand fizzy juice or diluting juice. Doesn't like milk though, but if I stir in some chocolate Nesquik she'll drink it by the gallon...

Top Bottom