Garage Robbery

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavintc

Guru
I have a Toyota Avensis. I noticed at the weekend that one of the headlight bulbs has blown. So, on Sun morning, I drove to Halfords to get a new bulb. Having discussed the problem with one of their staff, I was told that the bulb replacement was not a user maintenance task and I would need to take the car to a dealer as replacing was - difficult. One Tue morning, I did just that. Imagine my horror when the garage phoned me at work today to inform me that the cost of a headlight bulb was going to cost me £282!!!! I was not expecting that one. Apparently, they need to remove the bumper and most of the front - incredible.

longers

Legendary Member
:rofl::eek:;)

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I found that the Toyota standard bulbs were very dull and so bought Philips 50% brighter bulbs (same 55W 12v rating) and got my Toyota dealer to fit them; cost £35.21 incl. VAT. Took about 45 minutes to fit, but they only charged me for 0.5 labour as that's what they quoted me. Just shows that a Toyota trained technician even takes 45 mins. to change 2 bulbs. Toyota bulbs are unlikely to be special as they're probably rebranded Philips, Osram, etc. bulbs. The only concern is that because the headlamp covers are plastic, the bulbs you fit must be compatible with plastic covers i.e. minimal UV. UV destroys the plastic.

More at http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t59910.html

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's not a HID model then ??? If HID then that's about right...... for a bulb only.....

I only know of a few Honda's that need bumpers removing and replacing..... and they are older than your's....ohh rip off I think.....

We have a Yaris and a last model P12 Primera - both upgraded by me for headlights - just a 2 minute job......

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I'd get a second opinion, or a Haynes Manual (what does the Avensis manual say?). Also... Check-out a motorong or Toyota Forum. Good things forums.

Finally, when you go abroad you have to carry spare bulbs... makes you wonder really.

OP
OP
gavintc

gavintc

Guru
Having scanned the site referred to by swee'pea, I intend to call customer service in the morning. The irony is that we were looking at replacing the car with one of the demonstrators and had a drive about 10 days ago. There are some very good discounts at the moment. Well, they have just lost a sale - I would never buy from them agains.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Haynes manuals are a bit iffy for any car...... and they don't cover anything recent.. so depends upon which model car you have..... I have a Nissan download of my car's manual....it ain't been done by Haynes..........

Mr Pig

gavintc said:
I have a feeling I'm being ripped off.

You think?

Many years ago I needed to replace the bulb that illuminated the heater controls on my Cavalier, car, not dog. According the Haynes book of lies this involved removing the whole dashboard!

Not fancying that much I thought I'd see what the dealer would charge for the job. Turned out quite a lot! When I asked them why it cost so much they said 'Big job, you need to take the whole dashboard out'.

So I said 'Look, there's no way I'm paying that to get a tiny light bulb changed. Would it be ok if I popped round to the workshop and asked them if they could give me any tips on changing it myself?'

When I asked the foreman about getting the dash out he said 'Oh no, you don't need to do that!' He told me how they do it, I employed their method and it took me five minutes! Probably less.

I could relate many similar stories. I service the car myself these days.

on the road

Über Member
fossyant said:
Haynes manuals are a bit iffy for any car...... and they don't cover anything recent.. so depends upon which model car you have..... I have a Nissan download of my car's manual....it ain't been done by Haynes..........
Fair point.

I remember from my last car, the timing belt snapped on it, and following the instructions word for word I took the front wheel off so I could get access to the panel, took the panel off and all sorts just to get at the timing belt, the next time it needed a new timing belt I just reached down inside the engine and took it off, and then reached down inside the engine to put the new one on.

But the Haynes manual is still useful all the same, without it I wouldn't have been able to do a lot of stuff to my last car and to my present car.

colly

Re member eR
Had a Peugeot Boxer van about 4 yrs ago and the speedo stopped working. Was still under warranty (just) so I asked the dealer to fix it for me. I called the following afternoon to collect it and said I was in for the red Boxer van Reg No.whatever and he said ...''oh yes the new gearbox"....

"Err? No just a speedo fault" says I

"That's right" he replies " Electronic sensor at the bottom of the box got contaminated and had to be replaced. The box is sealed so a new one has to be fitted"

Was I glad I took it in before the warranty ran out?? God only knows what it would have cost me.

jasper

I've had two Avensis (X reg & 04 reg) and I changed the bulbs myself. The early one was straight forward. Remember I had a bit of a faff with the later one. But I never took the bumper off. I think the problem was with trying to put the clips back on and it may've only have been one side that is affected.

Top Bottom