Garage Robbery

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buggi

Bird Saviour
don't go to the main dealer, phone a smaller garage that deal with toyota's.

down the road from us there is a VW main dealership which charge the earth. 50 yards down the road there is a small garage that repair VWs for half the price.

there's bound to be a garage nearby that can do the work for half the price.

what a rip off!

Globalti

Legendary Member
When will people learn that dealers are not mechanics and they don't want to do mechanics' work? They want to sit on their arses and sell cars. If you have a problem they will just chuck over-priced parts at it at your or the manufacturer's expense in the hope of getting lucky and sorting the problem.

Find a good independent garage to look after your car. They do exist, believe it or not! Become a good customer, pay them promptly and they will reward you with good service. We use a family-owned garage down the road for all our routine stuff and nowadays they always collect and deliver the car to us, no matter how small the job.

Rigid Raider said:
When will people learn that dealers are not mechanics and they don't want to do mechanics' work? They want to sit on their arses and sell cars. If you have a problem they will just chuck over-priced parts at it at your or the manufacturer's expense in the hope of getting lucky and sorting the problem.

Find a good independent garage to look after your car. They do exist, believe it or not! Become a good customer, pay them promptly and they will reward you with good service. We use a family-owned garage down the road for all our routine stuff and nowadays they always collect and deliver the car to us, no matter how small the job.

Couldn't agree with you more.

The heater control unit in my Volvo began to work intermittently. took it to the Volvo dealer as I was passing, and I didn't want to attempt to get the unit out of the dashboard. After 20 mins bloke comes back and says bad news the unit is not working and that a replacement is £500 plus V.A.T. and fitting!!!! "I'll think about it" I told him and beat a hasty retreat to the local vehicle electrical suppliers. Left it with them, on my return a couple of hours later, faulty connector, replaced and working £50!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bought a new battery too I was so pleased.

OP
OP
gavintc

gavintc

Guru
Sadly, hindsight is a wonderful thing. But, as I work in Glasgow, I just do not have the opportunity to take the car to another garage and I need the headlights working on Fri night as we are off to friends in Dumfries for the weekend. We do not use the car during the working week. I intend to call their customer service department in Toyota head office to discuss the issue as I have gleaned some interesting comments from the link provided earlier.

simoncc

I cracked the nearside headlight on my 1998 Ford Fiesta. I went on ebay and bid £3 for a second hand replacement. I was the only bidder and the p+p was £4.95. As a bonus the seller included the offside headlight too. I fitted and aimed the light myself in about 15 minutes.

OP
OP
gavintc

gavintc

Guru
Well, I spoke to Toyota UK and they believe that the problem is with the headlight unit. It seems that these are prone to corrosion. Additionally, they told me to inform the local dealer that this is a warranty issue. I have called the local dealer and asked him to look into the problem. So, I may have a result. I will not celebrate until I have final confirmation.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Just goes to show that you should never believe anything you are told by a Main Dealer Stealer
gavintc said:
Well, I spoke to Toyota UK and they believe that the problem is with the headlight unit. It seems that these are prone to corrosion. Additionally, they told me to inform the local dealer that this is a warranty issue. I have called the local dealer and asked him to look into the problem. So, I may have a result. I will not celebrate until I have final confirmation.

Globalti

Legendary Member
You should also be able to Google and find an Avensis owners' forum, where you will learn a lot about your car.

GrahamG

Guru
Rigid Raider said:

Not quite true - they make a fortune from overpriced servicing and repairs; the margins are much higher than on selling cars and will chase up business constantly. I still get letters from the dealer I bought my car (new) from
over four years ago trying to get me to have a 'full dealer service'.

If anyone is struggling to find a garage on reputation, it's well worth checking out www.goodgaragescheme.co.uk

simoncc

Mr Pig said:
They have headlights on those? I didn't think that Fiesta drivers went out after dark.

You obviously don't as you'd have seen the same abundance of Fiestas on the road after dark as during daylight.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Forgive the copy 'n paste from an earlier thread but it seems relevant...

One of my sister's dodgy boyfriends worked in a main dealer in London. They used to get loads of company cars in for their regular service. Standard treatment was a 'spitservice': ie, open the bonnet, look at the engine, say 'yeah, looks fine', spit on the engine block and close the bonnet. Their mechanics were routinely handing in - and being paid on the basis of - timesheets showing 150+ hours a week. Why should the guv'nor give a shoot? Every hour was being charged out to punters with a 70% markup.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Jeez, if they reckon replacing a light bulb is a garage job, perhaps that's why I see so many cars with missing headlights/brake lights etc these cars.

How many people would just say "Oh, I can't afford it" and carry on driving on one light...

Top Bottom