Genesis stolen - can you help?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Possibly worth contacting EBay? This is their policy:

Policy overview

We don't allow the sale of stolen property on eBay because it violates local and international law. We also strongly support efforts by law enforcement to investigate attempts to sell stolen property on our site. If we see this activity taking place, we'll proactively notify law enforcement and help in their efforts to investigate and prosecute members who violate this policy.

Make sure your listing follows these guidelines. If it doesn't, it may be removed, and you may be subject to a range of other actions, including limits of your buying and selling privileges and suspension of your account.

imgNaviArrowDwn_12x12.gif What to do if you see stolen property on eBay

If you see stolen property on eBay please contact local law enforcement immediately and ask them to contact eBay via the Law Enforcement area in the Safety Centre.
If you're registered on eBay.co.uk, Action Fraud is the UK's national fraud and internet crime reporting centre and you can report issues through the Action Fraud website. Reports about transactions outside of eBay or PayPal may not be investigated by law enforcement, although your report will help the police to build up a picture of fraud activity. eBay will always assist in a criminal investigation received from Law Enforcement regarding activity on the eBay Inc. platforms.
If you request a law enforcement official to contact us, ask that he or she include all relevant information, including the case number and any item numbers or user IDs. This information appears on the listing page.

What are the guidelines?.........

OP
OP
N

Nico

Thank you all for the support. It's not easy as may think, neither the police nor eBay would disclose the seller's address. EBay have been useless, all they can say to me is thay mine are just allegations and I shlould talk to the police, they protect the privacy of the seller for obvious reasons. The bike was sold but it was never shipped to the buyer hence the problem. The police went to the seller's address but the bike wasn't there so there is nothing else they can do. I thought about buying another item from the seller, collect it in person and ask for the bike but why taking the risk? The police can only do so much and there is not enough evidence to go out and arrest him. I also think the parts on sale from the Yamaha are a bit dodgy.

OP
OP
N

Nico

image.jpg

After over three months, a happy ending! The bike ended up in Devon and I spotted it again on Gumtree. I collected it yesterday in Exeter thanks to the great job done by the police. Special thanks to classic33 for his assistance.

This bike means even more to me after all the efforts to get it back, I also had a fair amount of luck of course...

Happy riding!

OP
OP
N

Nico

Good for you, what happened to the seller

The first eBay seller is still being investigated. He was guilty of other bike thefts apparently, hopefully justice will do its course. As eBay did not work for him he subsequently sold the bike to a second hand shop, which sold it to somebody else, presumably in good faith. The bike was put up for sale again on Gumtree approx. three weeks ago when I found it.

e-rider

crappy member
this is good news however, when the law does close to nothing to the people involved in bike theft and selling/handling stolen goods, what will stop these people doing it all over again?
If the government wants more people to cycle, gain better health and to cut carbon emissions, it needs to get very tough on bike crime, as a lot of people who have their bike stolen never cycle again, and it's all too common. New legislation should be integrated into the cycle strategy for the future, with clear and tough punishments for bike theft.

Top Bottom