Germans have 2.4 bicycles.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Germans have 2.4 bicycles:

http://cleantechnica.com/2016/02/13/new-figures-show-germany-is-a-nation-of-cyclists/

bicycling-Berlin-570x401.jpg

Some Germans and bicycles.

• Just over three quarters of Germans live in a household with one bicycle. The average household owns 2.4 bicycles.
  • Bicycle use has remained largely stable. 82% travel at least infrequently by bicycle, 62% at least occasionally, 38% use a bicycle “intensively” (daily or several times per week).
  • In comparison to other modes of transport, cars (“like using very much”) are more popular (at 57%) than motorcycles (36%) and bicycles (27%).
  • Bicycles are used primarily for shopping, short tasks, and excursions. 39% of those questioned travel to work or their place of education by bicycle. This is a small rise on 2013 (35%). Of these, almost one third of journeys by bicycle is combined with public transportation.
  • The level of satisfaction with the bicycle parking situation at work, places of education, and privately, is very high. However, at train stations, stops, and schools it is low.
  • Just over half of the cyclists feel safe in street traffic. 31% always or usually wear a helmet.
  • Wishes aimed at politicians include the expansion and/or construction of bicycle paths, safe bicycle parking facilities, and the improvement of lighting and surfaces of bicycle paths.
  • Communication has grown in importance: 39% would like to see campaigns for improved cooperation between all road users.
  • At the local municipal level, 82% would like to see greater involvement of politics in the topic of cycling.
  • 23% of those questioned are considering buying a bicycle within the next 12 months. Of these, 70% plan to buy a new bicycle. The average amount they would be willing to pay is currently €574 (approx. $648 or £445).
  • Interest in electric bicycles is high, at 49%. 29% would buy an e-bike if they were to buy a new bicycle. The highest level of interest is among those over the age of 50 (and in particular among men).

Car ownership levels similar to the UK, IIRC.

Jimidh

Veteran
Glad I'm not German - would hate to have only 2.4 bikes

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Does that still include those appropriated from the Dutch and Belgians in 1944/5?**

** stereotypical Lowlander "black humour" at work there, apologies.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Well counting the kids bikes, (their only 2 and 4 but already have 6 bikes between them!!) I have 13 all told. To be fair some are up for sale, so I'm way above that average.

I am surprised it is that low to be honest, everyone round here has at least 1. Out of all our neighbours and work colleagues, I know very few who don't own a bike.

Top Bottom