Getting fit [and off my behind!]

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi everyone, owner of a shiny new Btwin Triban 3 here based mainly in Leamington Spa and Worcestershire/Shropshire border when I'm at home from uni.

Always had a tootle around on cheap clunky mountain bikes before and used to commute to my summer job 4 miles or so each way so nothing serious, but looking to get into cycling properly. I've picked the worst time for it (horrible weather) but the 'good' T3s are slowly going extinct so thought I'd treat myself for Christmas.

Next up on the list is a set of mudguards that will fit it, so I can ride around my very muddy roads (oh, living in the countryside!) until I go back to uni in the new year to good roads.

I mainly decided on this as method of getting fit because running just seems to get very monotonous and you don't get all that far (less opportunity for going for an explore before I get completely knackered) in the time you put in and takes its toll on my legs which are seemingly made of jelly. Hopefully I can get properly stuck in to cycling and enjoy it.

Does anybody have any tips on what sort of things I should be doing as a complete beginner to build up my stamina/endurance?

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi Ollie and :welcome: from Shrewsbury.

My advice for building stamina and endurance would simply be to ride lots. I don't think there is any magic formula, just get on the bike and the more you ride the easier it'll get.

If you are still struggling you could look at changing the gearing (Being a former Kidderminster lad I know how hilly the Worcestershire/Shropshire border area is) but I should take that as it comes.

Let us know how you get on.:thumbsup:

@Rickshaw Phil already found it, that thread is a large part of why i ended up buying my Triban 3 :smile:

Thanks for the welcome all, guess I'd better find myself a decent pair of cycling shorts, everything else can wait!

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-aeron-race-cycling-short/
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-aeron-cycling-short/
I assume either of these will be okay?

Last edited:

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
[quote="Rickshaw Phil, post: 2820365, member: 20178"I don't think there is any magic formula, just get on the bike and the more you ride the easier it'll get."[/quote]

If you don't get anything else from visiting this forum, just remember this advice from Phil - as someone who's now got just over eighteen months of serious cycling in my legs (hell, I've even started shaving the buggers) he is speaking volumes. Enjoy your riding and welcome!

SLIMKIM

Hi Mate, welcome from Gods County ^_^, as most have said, there is no hard and fast rules. it's simple, the more you get out, them easier it gets, and as your fitness improves, so will your speed and distance. never be afraid of hills. :becool:

Top Bottom