Glenys Roberts, Westminster Councillor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
glenn forger

glenn forger

She supports and is Patron of an organisation that opposes speed limits and calls speed patrols "The Talivan". She is also a representative of the council with one of the worst vulnerable road user casualty rate in the country. She supports number plates for cyclists and her organisation promotes hatred against cyclists. I repeat, what would be the reaction if she claimed "Pedestrians take their life in their hands in London"? That would serve as an indictment of her inactivity, yes? Despite the risk being the same.

Michael86

She supports and is Patron of an organisation that opposes speed limits and calls speed patrols "The Talivan". She is also a representative of the council with one of the worst vulnerable road user casualty rate in the country. She supports number plates for cyclists and her organisation promotes hatred against cyclists. I repeat, what would be the reaction if she claimed "Pedestrians take their life in their hands in London"? That would serve as an indictment of her inactivity, yes? Despite the risk being the same.
What organisation does she belong to. Off course there would be outrage if anyone said that about pedestrians. Most of your arguements, don't support anti cyclists. Some roads shouldn't be ridden by cyclists

classic33

Leg End Member
What organisation does she belong to. Off course there would be outrage if anyone said that about pedestrians. Most of your arguements, don't support anti cyclists. Some roads shouldn't be ridden by cyclists
Other than motorways, which sort of roads?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I cycled part of the way round Parliament Square on my way back from a merry afternoon at All Bar One after the Southend FNRttC last November (?). For the very first time, my chain broke in three lanes of busy traffic and I was left like a goldfish blowing bubbles in the middle of the road. It was quite exhilarating really.

Michael86

Yet you feel qualified to comment...

Just anti-spelling and grammar...
That's petty!

Michael86

Hardly petty. If you want to comment, it might be worth knowing something about what you're commenting about.
I was commenting on her Twitter post. In my opinion it wasn't anti cyclist. I can comment on what ever I want.

OP
OP
glenn forger

glenn forger

I was commenting on her Twitter post. In my opinion it wasn't anti cyclist. I can comment on what ever I want.

In isolation, perhaps not michael. It is an odd thing to say, and I think you agree it would be very..odd if she said it about peds.

In context she supports an organisation that defends criminal drivers and constantly demonises cyclists.

Michael86

I didn't know the organisation she supports. I was just judging that tweet. I just thought West Minister, might be a busy part of London. I can't see anyone saying that about peds, as they generally don't share the road (apart from crossing it).

OP
OP
glenn forger

glenn forger

Mmmmm. I think if a cycling organisation that claimed to represent riders stated that police fining pavement cyclists were "nazis" it would be very, very silly and offensive. Yet that's what Roberts organisation does. It's shrill and hysterical.

I didn't know the organisation she supports. I was just judging that tweet. I just thought West Minister, might be a busy part of London. I can't see anyone saying that about peds, as they generally don't share the road (apart from crossing it).
Have you cycled through busy parts of a city? I do regularly and find it much safer as I'm travelling either with or faster than traffic. It's the country open roads with cars tearing past me at 80 that terrifies me. To me it's the differential speed that is significant, not the volume of traffic.

@Michael86 I assume by Westminster she means the entire area. Basically what most tourists regard as London. 10,000 of cyclists go through there every day, I'd guess - a lot of them working in the city and Canary Wharf, with a much better understanding of risk than she has. It's nonsense to suggest it's not safe. And if it wasn't safe, it's her job to fix it.

Imagine if she said people walking through Soho after 8pm were taking their life in their hands?

Top Bottom