Good day rides in Essex area??????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

I am totally bored with my loops and need to find some good day rides routes...now I could do my own but I am lazy and just wondered if there are any suggestions from the 'gallery'?
I am thinking of loops iro 40 miles

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

that many huh

Don't know about 40 miles, but when I were lad, me and my mates used to take the Doodinghurst Rd. out to, er, Doddinghurst, on to Stondon Massey, Blackmore, Writtle, Chelmsford, Great Baddow, Galleywood, Ingatestone, Mountnessing, and back to Doddinghurst, and finally Pilgrims Hatch.

But that was long before chavs and 4x4s were in abundance.
Mind you, it's a nice ride out in the Essex countryside amongst the hedgerows and open fields.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

Don't know about 40 miles, but when I were lad, me and my mates used to take the Doodinghurst Rd. out to, er, Doddinghurst, on to Stondon Massey, Blackmore, Writtle, Chelmsford, Great Baddow, Galleywood, Ingatestone, Mountnessing, and back to Doddinghurst, and finally Pilgrims Hatch.

That is pretty much one of my regular loops.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

Just messing with the gps files to try to get them to be navigable (under 50 points filter) but mapsource doesnt allow them to be imported...I will just copy th eroutes into BRt and do my own gps files...probably easiet.

ChrisKH

Guru
BTFB, I did the Leukemia sponsored ride yesterday to keep a not so regular cyclist friend company and the area may be among your normal rides, I don't know, but the countryside around Great Wakering and Barling is pretty good for cycling. I don't get that way, that often but the traffic was very light considering, if not non-existent. It's not forty miles tho' unless you introduce a bit of a loop.

See the map posted on http://www.southendbikeathon.co.uk/route.html

You could always from your part of the world do one great big loop Wickford, Hullbridge, Hockley, Ashingdon, Rochford, Barling Loop (Mucking Hall Road), Little/Great Wakering, North Shoebury and then the coast road (Shoebury/Thorpe Bay/Southend/Chalkwell/Leigh on Sea as far as you like West before turning inland again to the return point of your choice? I would probably turn right at the Kursaal on the sea front and make my way North via Sutton Road which runs pretty much all the way back to Rochford.

Interestingly there's some good isolated riding on Foulness Island off to the West, but I think this is a MoD site, unless you're a resident but you might want to make some enquiries; lovely long time trial roads with very little traffic. A couple of nice pubs that way as well.

If you're looking further afield, I used to love doing a day trip out to Mersea Island as a youngster (all by bike). Lovely deserted roads, farmhouses, small towns and a surprisingly lovely beach. Just a thought. You would have to put some mileage in for that one, but that's nothing for you, I'm sure.

Southend Wheelers run out from Canewdon Village Hall at 10.00 am every Sunday and cater for all riders. Usually they do a big loop in the aforementioned areas (and further afield for those a bit hardcore) and come back for tea and cakes. Might be worth a try one Sunday.

ChrisKH

Guru
John Ponting said:

Some excellent routes there John, I'm going to squeeze in a ride to/from and round Hanningfield reservoir this weekend. I'm not quite in BTFB''s league for distance. :sad:

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
I did a non-loop ride yesterday from North-East of Colchester to Benfleet near Southend in Essex (my home to my parents' home, gave them a real shock when I arrived at the door on my trike!). I have to say that the area between Colchester, Tiptree and Maldon was very nice indeed, lots of quiet back roads, rolling hills, nice views etc. I am sure that some good routes could be made around here and there were plenty of pubs for lunch, plus of course the Tiptree jam factory tea room!

Auntie Helen said:
I did a non-loop ride yesterday from North-East of Colchester to Benfleet near Southend in Essex (my home to my parents' home, gave them a real shock when I arrived at the door on my trike!). I have to say that the area between Colchester, Tiptree and Maldon was very nice indeed, lots of quiet back roads, rolling hills, nice views etc. I am sure that some good routes could be made around here and there were plenty of pubs for lunch, plus of course the Tiptree jam factory tea room!

Well done, AH, great effort! :biggrin:

Being an Essex lad myself, I know the areas well.

My great-grandparents worked and met in Wilkinson's jam factory. I still have a lot of (unknown) relatives in NE Essex.

How was the ride back?

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
The ride back was very smooth, relaxing and luxurious in a lovely Audi A6 Avant :biggrin:

The ride there was nice to start with, bumpy south of Maldon and 5 miles longer than it should have been due to occasional lapses at mapreading plus the fact I didn't have a proper OS Map for the Maldon to Benfleet section.

ChrisKH

Guru
Auntie Helen said:

That's a pity. I live in Benfleet and have never seen a trike or recumbent in the area. I think I prefer cycling in North Essex to South also.

Top Bottom