Google map screen grab

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Carwash

Señor Member
Arch said:
The keyboard on this computer has a printscreen button, but that doesn't seem to do anything...

...except copy an image of the current screen contents to the clipboard, so that you can then paste it into, e.g., a paint program or PowerPoint slide. :smile:

bonj2

Alt+Printscreen (copies just active application rather than entire screen)
go to MS paint
Ctrl-V (paste)
save

oh and zoom in first 'cos it looks a bit shoot at that resolution, where you can see half the atlantic aswell

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
oh yeah...

Why doesn't it tell you that then! <mutter mutter> :smile:

Ok, so now I have to crop the screen image down, I can do that - cheers. But isn't there a way to just copy the map image without the surrounding guff?

Also, I tried 'print image' while in satellite view, and I get the print screen in the map view. Why is that?

bonj2

Uncle Mort said:
...or get someone with a Mac to look at the site for you and use "Grab" and send you the file. I'm sure there must be Windows equivalents, but it's a lot easier than having to copy the entire screen or window to a clipboard and edit it.

'cos you've have to spend half an hour trying to figure out how to fire up the bloody internet in the first place. :smile:

zimzum42

Legendary Member
If you have a Mac you don't even have to use grab, just press shift-apple-4 and you can trace out an area and it makes it into a picture file and drops it onto your desktop

Macs rule!!!!!

Carwash

Señor Member
bonj said:
'cos you've have to spend half an hour trying to figure out how to fire up the bloody internet in the first place. :smile:

Have you've? Have you've really?

Uncle Mort said:
Now I'm interested. How do you 'fire up the internet', bonj? :biggrin:

Silly! He clicks the blue 'e' picture on the screen, which means 'fire up internet!'

derall

Guru
Try using FSCapture - captures the whole screen, the window in focus, a defined window or a particular area. Go via the link above to get the last freeware version - after v5.3 it became commercial software. The .exe runs an installer, or the .zip version can be unpacked to run off a USB stick.

Once you've captured an area, you can then crop, edit and annotate.

Carwash

Señor Member
goo_mason said:
Alt-F4 will just take a copy of the active window, so you don't get a screenshot of your whole desktop.

I think we can agree that Alt-F4 is the solution to almost any Windows-related problem.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Ha! I was sitting there earlier, and the girl opposite said "Do you know how to get a google map into a powerpoint slide?" So I said "yes!" and told her to Print Screen, and then I couldn't remember where it copied it too, so I had to look at this thread again to remind myself. Still, we got it done, and I'm now officially cleverer than her.

Top Bottom