GP 5000 TL 32s

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nebulous

Guru
I'm looking for two GP 5000 TLs in 32mm. My new bike came with them and they have been great. I'd like to put a new set on for LEL, but they seem impossible to find. I'm not sure about taking a chance on the new 5000 TR S, they seem more of a race tyre.

I've a set of new / unused GP 5000 28mm clinchers I could throw into the deal if that helped.......

vickster

Legendary Member

OP
OP
N

Nebulous

Guru

Reviews are mixed - maybe I'm just reluctant to change, I still like the GP4000s!

This review https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-bike-reviews/continental-grand-prix-5000-s-tr#pr

says:-

The main problem with changing to just 2 layers of (thinner) casing material under the tread is seen in the puncture resistance tests as the puncture resistance of the tread has gone down by 30% in our test. We'll have to wait for more real-life user experiences about puncture resistance, but the 5000 S TR definitely will be more prone to punctures.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
get some 4Seasons then if you want more peace of mind of puncture resistance and happy to trade a smidge of Rolling resistance.

The 5000s in any guise are supposed to be better than the 4000s for PR anyway I thought.

vickster

Legendary Member
Reviews are mixed - maybe I'm just reluctant to change, I still like the GP4000s!

This review https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-bike-reviews/continental-grand-prix-5000-s-tr#pr

says:-

The main problem with changing to just 2 layers of (thinner) casing material under the tread is seen in the puncture resistance tests as the puncture resistance of the tread has gone down by 30% in our test. We'll have to wait for more real-life user experiences about puncture resistance, but the 5000 S TR definitely will be more prone to punctures.

Two on eBay here (auction, just listed, could try an offer)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125355255429?hash=item1d2fc16685:g:5vcAAOSwBdZingYQ

Gah - Mrs Spesh has just reported in from the shed, that they're 25s... if they're of any use you're most welcome to 'em!

1654608441260.jpeg

mustang1

Legendary Member
get some 4Seasons then if you want more peace of mind of puncture resistance and happy to trade a smidge of Rolling resistance.

The 5000s in any guise are supposed to be better than the 4000s for PR anyway I thought.

I thought it was the other way round... That GP5000 areslightly less PR and also slightly less rolling resistance.

OP
OP
N

Nebulous

Guru
Gah - Mrs Spesh has just reported in from the shed, that they're 25s... if they're of any use you're most welcome to 'em!

View attachment 648020

Thanks - I appreciate you looking, but I'd like something a bit wider for lower pressure / comfort.

If you don't need them you would be able to monetise them fairly readily - there are a pair on ebay at £91 with 8 bids and still 5 days to go. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/19511200...rand=Continental&_trksid=p2047675.c101224.m-1

OP
OP
N

Nebulous

Guru
I thought it was the other way round... That GP5000 areslightly less PR and also slightly less rolling resistance.

The GP5000s are supposed to be better than the GP4000s for both puncture resistance and rolling resistance. Adding tubeless into the mix complicates it however and they've updated the tubeless GP5000 since they first came out. The new ones fit hookless rims, have two layers of material instead of three, are lighter and claim to be simultaneously lighter, faster and more puncture resistant. They are billed as tubeless ready instead of tubeless, which appears to meant the new ones need sealant, where the originals didn't.

That review I linked said they didn't deliver as much of an advantage as they expected, and they particularly question the puncture resistance.

I'm happy with the first version, slightly reluctant to stake so much on a tyre I've never tried before, particularly if I could get another pair of the first version.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
which appears to meant the new ones need sealant,

they will defo need sealant to run tubeless.

have two layers of material instead of three
This is the tubeless conundrum, I think manufactures think, ah its tubeless so we can skimp on in built / rubber / kelvar layer protection as the sealant will do its job, which works most of the time, until it doesn't.

Whereas I would reckon most riders would rather have the protection of the tubed version and don't worry about the 20g weight saving, and then run sealant instead of a tube.

Top Bottom