Gravel bike - £5000

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sanadsaad

Hi guys. After riding and building some fitness on my old bike, I’m looking to buy a new one. I debated between an ebike vs a regular one and decided I’d rather get one without assistance to keep my fitness up. I’ll mostly be riding this on days off, especially weekends. I looked at gravel bikes and debating between a Canyon Grizl model or a Trek Checkpoint SL6. Trek fox valley store is nearby which is why that came to mind. What do you guys think/recommend?

Sallar55

Veteran
You only live once, remember people recommend what they like, might not be your choice.

vickster

Legendary Member
Of course it’s your money, but 5k sounds a lot for a non e gravel bike!
If in the UK, you can’t test ride Canyon models, on that basis, if spending 5k, go test ride the Trek (plus any similar bikes). What size do you need, availability on the 2023 looks to be limited sizes, at least at the sellers seller at a discounted £4k.
Not online either at full rrp
https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/...point-sl-6-axs/p/35170/?colorCode=red_reddark

Last edited:

chriswoody

Legendary Member
If you're sure that you want to buy a gravel bike then what you need to do is decide what you need from a gravel bike and then start from there. Fundamentally one of the most important questions is what type of riding do you want to be doing and what type of terrain will you be riding over?

When I was looking for a gravel bike I discovered that the sandy terrain locally and the more demanding single track trails that I wanted to ride on, demanded wide tires. Most so called gravel bikes, only have clearance for narrow 40mm tires and in order to get decent width tires you needed to purchase smaller 650b wheels in order to facilitate that. I wanted a bike with 700c wheels that also had clearance for 50mm wide tires and I've found 47mm to be a perfect size for my needs at the moment, though there are occasions I wish I had space for wider.

Other factors to consider are things like drivetrain choices, a lot of gravel bikes will have a 1x set up with only the one chain ring up front. Personally I love 1x, but on this forum I tend to be in the minority with that view! Frame material may be important to you as well, there are a fair number of Aluminium and Carbon bikes around, though steel is a little less common.

All that said the Grizl is a nice bike, not my kind of bike personally, but they are well built and lovely to ride if your after a faster more road orientated gravel bike. A friend of mine has one and really rates it. I personally have a 2016 Kona Sutra LTD, a more relaxed geometry compared to the Grizl and built for long days in the saddle off-road.

OP
OP
S

sanadsaad

Thanks all! I was looking at trek as it's my local bike shop (10 mins away) and being fairly new to the cycling hobby, I thought I'd establish a good working relationship with the local bike shop and go try everything out and get the bike fitted. The SL6 is available in size 54 in the Fox Valley shop. The £5000 is on a generous cycle to work voucher (vivup). I figured id use the amount to get the best bike/accessories combo for the money before they reduce it again next year. Happy to look at other suggestions. Im not in a rush. Loving cycling and learning as I go along!

vickster

Legendary Member
Is it suitable for all weather commuting? Is there secure parking at your workplace?
and have you checked the payment terms thoroughly on that sum, our scheme would have a 25% end of term payment

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

sanadsaad

I’m not sure about winter as I have never cycled in cold conditions but I reckon it should be ok for rain. My work place has a very secure bike shed and I plan on leaving a heavy lock there once I start cycling to work. Payment terms are £210 (after tax) a month and final payment of £600. Total savings of £1800. The dilemma is having cycled using the powerfly 7 ebike especially up the steep fox valley hill, it was effortless. Having that to commute would be a dream but then building fitness up and cycling on the SL6, that would be better in the long run.

Gillstay

Über Member
S/H bike prices appear to be at an amazing low. Just go and buy the best second hand one you can find.

Its just a frame and two wheels, with some subtle differences. Save yourself a fortune and get a bike out of a shed where its gently breaking down unused. Better for the planet too.

5 grand is a crazy large figure for a Gravel bike.
Planet X Tempest.
Titanium. SRAM gears.
Great for gravel and takes mudguards and is a decent road bike with slicks on.
Two grand I think.

I bought one and both my riding pals liked it so much they bought one as well.

vickster

Legendary Member
I’m not sure about winter as I have never cycled in cold conditions but I reckon it should be ok for rain. My work place has a very secure bike shed and I plan on leaving a heavy lock there once I start cycling to work. Payment terms are £210 (after tax) a month and final payment of £600. Total savings of £1800. The dilemma is having cycled using the powerfly 7 ebike especially up the steep fox valley hill, it was effortless. Having that to commute would be a dream but then building fitness up and cycling on the SL6, that would be better in the long run.

You could get an e gravel bike and turn off the assist when training?

OP
OP
S

sanadsaad

I can’t go second hand or would have. Can’t pay up front. Other option would be Canyon Grail:ON. I’ve only read reviews where people have turned the assist off and it’s light enough to keep pedalling without assist. Maybe worth a look.

Edit: Turns out Canyon not on cycle to work with my employer :sad:

Last edited:
Top Bottom