Greenwich Mean Time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I went for a gentle ride through Greenwich on a cycle path today and I seemed to be forever diverted off the cycle path because generously proportioned pairs of women with one babby buggy each had simultaneously decided that a cycle path was the cool place to be. Oh, and at least 15 oblivious iPlonkers who evidently didn't want to block up the walky parts of the pavement.

Oh, sorry, this thread's not Greenwich Moan Time....

God forbid one of these ladies giving you a ticking off for not being on the road lol, Ive seen the exact same thing happen elsewhere. Lady pushing a buggy along ON A CYCLE PATH cyclist almost runs her down despite his poor thumb going apesh!t crazy on his bell and shouting 'Excuse me' on his approach. Narrowly avoid a collision and lady drags cyclist off his bike for putting her baby in danger and says he should be on the road and not cycling on the pavement..... Sigh.....I dont think some people seem to understand what a cycle path is let alone what its for.

To add to the topic here.....

1 Bike to rule them all. my Hybrid is geared for all year round cycling. For snowy conditions though I will need a serious rethink about the tyres that i use and may just have to invest in a spare set of wheels for quick changes.

winjim

Smash the cistern
God forbid one of these ladies giving you a ticking off for not being on the road lol, Ive seen the exact same thing happen elsewhere. Lady pushing a buggy along ON A CYCLE PATH cyclist almost runs her down despite his poor thumb going apesh!t crazy on his bell and shouting 'Excuse me' on his approach. Narrowly avoid a collision and lady drags cyclist off his bike for putting her baby in danger and says he should be on the road and not cycling on the pavement..... Sigh.....I dont think some people seem to understand what a cycle path is let alone what its for.
If a cyclist nearly runs me down while I'm with my baby I shall make every effort to kick seven shades of holy fark out of them.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
If a cyclist nearly runs me down while I'm with my baby I shall make every effort to kick seven shades of holy fark out of them.

good thing you dont live in Amsterdam then. Because cyclists there will run you down if youre walking on the cyclepath - they take their sh!t very seriously. First few days i was there i was almost run down twice.

If youre pushing your child along on the cycle path when the pavement is clear then its you yourself who is putting your child in danger by being there. If a cyclist is going batsh!t on his bell and shouting 'excuse me' as he approaches are you honestly going to kick him in the tits when youre the one in the wrong? Why dont you try pushing your baby along in the middle or side of a busy road perhaps? are you going to beat up drivers because they almost hit you?

You were in the wrong place, and you set a bad example to your child by assaulting a person in front of him/her because the cyclist or witnesses will no doubt call the police if they haven't already arrived.

SWSteve

Guru
In November when c2w comes up again (I've currently got a bike on c2w so will be renewing) I've an old frame that will be converted to a single speed to commute

D

Deleted member 1258

I use the same bike to commute on all year round, currently a fixed wheel Genesis Flyer, in the winter it also gets used on Sunday rides, the geared bike doesn't get used in the winter.

winjim

Smash the cistern
good thing you dont live in Amsterdam then. Because cyclists there will run you down if youre walking on the cyclepath - they take their sh!t very seriously. First few days i was there i was almost run down twice.

If youre pushing your child along on the cycle path when the pavement is clear then its you yourself who is putting your child in danger by being there. If a cyclist is going batsh!t on his bell and shouting 'excuse me' as he approaches are you honestly going to kick him in the tits when youre the one in the wrong? Why dont you try pushing your baby along in the middle or side of a busy road perhaps? are you going to beat up drivers because they almost hit you?

You were in the wrong place, and you set a bad example to your child by assaulting a person in front of him/her because the cyclist or witnesses will no doubt call the police if they haven't already arrived.
A cycle path indicates where cycling is permitted, not where walking is prohibited. Pedestrians have priority and there can never be an excuse to put a child in danger. As for the assault, that was clearly a hyperbole meant to indicate exactly how furious I would be if I felt that a reckless cyclist had endangered my child. Would I really assault anyone? Probably not, but I might try and put their bike beyond use. Ring your damned bell all you like, if I don't get out of the way you should slow to a safe speed or even just bloody well stop. Are you going to run down the deaf?

You do realise that @deptfordmarmoset's post was just an excuse for a terrible pun?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
A cycle path indicates where cycling is permitted, not where walking is prohibited. Pedestrians have priority and there can never be an excuse to put a child in danger. As for the assault, that was clearly a hyperbole meant to indicate exactly how furious I would be if I felt that a reckless cyclist had endangered my child. Would I really assault anyone? Probably not, but I might try and put their bike beyond use. Ring your damned bell all you like, if I don't get out of the way you should slow to a safe speed or even just bloody well stop. Are you going to run down the deaf?

You do realise that @deptfordmarmoset's post was just an excuse for a terrible pun?
It's true that I was motivated by a marmoset class pun but it's also true that on the NCN1 between Deptford through to Woolwich the cyclepath has a pavement for pedestrians alongside in most places. It is uncanny just how attractive the cyclepath is to pedestrians. And how parents of young children, accompanied but not supervised, think that the cyclepath is more appropriate space for letting their kids scooter on than the pavement alongside.

subaqua

What’s the point
The bike is just the bike. It doesn't have a cute name. Sometimes it goes wonky and I have to fix it, often with help from friends, but I'm more than happy to ride it all round the year. It really isn't that precious that it has to be put to bed over the winter months. That would be a bit of a waste.

This. All of the bikes get ridden all through the year, mainly the tourer/ commuter as it has the pannier racks, but I do love hooning through high beach on the MTB.

winjim

Smash the cistern
It's true that I was motivated by a marmoset class pun but it's also true that on the NCN1 between Deptford through to Woolwich the cyclepath has a pavement for pedestrians alongside in most places. It is uncanny just how attractive the cyclepath is to pedestrians. And how parents of young children, accompanied but not supervised, think that the cyclepath is more appropriate space for letting their kids scooter on than the pavement alongside.
Scootering I would consider a grey area. :laugh:

BTW I'm not endorsing people walking on the the cyclepath, it's flipping annoying, especially when there's a perfectly good footpath. However it is their right, and I take issue with the suggestion that a cyclist be absolved of responsibility should they endanger a child.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
IMG_20150423_075308837.jpg

Above is for sunny days/dry roads whatever time of year.. and below (now with added proper rear mudguard) for wet days/wet roads whatever time of year .....

Revolt.jpg

Top Bottom