Halfords

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Wasn't his bike though.
You'd think it was given the moaning.:laugh:

After a long search I have just found a photo of bikerman

1645542924420.png
:sad::sad::sad::sad:

There is little difference in price between Halfords and most local Bike shops for similar quality bikes.

It is just that Halfords aim more at the mass-market, and so tend to carry mainly cheaper end bikes.

At the moment they hardly have any stock of anything that isn't one of their own brands (or sole distributor) either.
That is so ridiculously untrue If ever I go anywhere I always check out the bike shops and have never seen an independent bike shop that can match Halfords for the same spec bikes. In fact I've seen pretend mountain bikes in independent bike shops close to £500 with freewheels where as you can get real entry level mountain bikes around £350 in Halfords with proper strong freehub based gearing and hydraulic disc brakes. Same situation with road bikes with the Carrera Virtuoso available for £380 which is a Claris based road bike with mechanical disc brakes. Not only that but there are often ways of getting a further 10% off in Halfords and buying giftcards at a discount to end up with a very decent overall discount.

For example Trek Marlin 4 at £475 at independent bike shops.

https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/...ikes/marlin/marlin-4/p/29759/?colorCode=black

Absolute garbage mountain bike for close to £500 with a basic freewheel completely unsuitable for proper off-road use and common to basic sub £130 bikes.

The sad truth is independent bike shops are typically the very worst places to buy an entry level bike either road, mountain or hybrid, most of what they offer is pretty terrible and there are good logistical reasons why that is always going to be the case.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
That is so ridiculously untrue If ever I go anywhere I always check out the bike shops and have never seen an independent bike shop that can match Halfords for the same spec bikes. In fact I've seen pretend mountain bikes in independent bike shops close to £500 with freewheels where as you can get real entry level mountain bikes around £350 in Halfords with proper strong freehub based gearing and hydraulic disc brakes. Same situation with road bikes with the Carrera Virtuoso available for £380 which is a Claris based road bike with mechanical disc brakes. Not only that but there are often ways of getting a further 10% off in Halfords and buying giftcards at a discount to end up with a very decent overall discount.

For example Trek Marlin 4 at £475 at independent bike shops.

https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/...ikes/marlin/marlin-4/p/29759/?colorCode=black

Absolute garbage mountain bike for close to £500 with a basic freewheel completely unsuitable for proper off-road use and common to basic sub £130 bikes.

The sad truth is independent bike shops are typically the very worst places to buy an entry level bike either road, mountain or hybrid, most of what they offer is pretty terrible and there are good logistical reasons why that is always going to be the case.
I agree I've had a voodoo mountain bike from Halfords and it was fine, no problems at all with it. Also I've looked at some of the Carreras and for the money they are very good. I'd have one for going through the woods, bridleways etc. They are good value for money.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I had a go
I had a gold service for my bike in a proper bike shop fancy name for daylight robbery.
If you don't want to pay a skilled mechanic to service your bike learn to do it yourself.

After her bike was stolen with no chance of getting it back ,my friend ordered a new one from Halfords,she phoned them to see when the bike would be ready she was put through to a call center in South Africa crazy .
Would a call centre employee sitting at a computer screen in Newcastle, say, be able to give more information than an employee sitting at a computer screen in Durban? They both have access to the same information.

There is perhaps a separate argument to be had about the use of overseas call centres by many UK companies, but it's all about money savings and that horse has long since bolted. Not a reason to moan about Halfords.

OP
OP
B

Biker man

Would a call centre employee sitting at a computer screen in Newcastle, say, be able to give more information than an employee sitting at a computer screen in Durban? They both have access to the same information.

There is perhaps a separate argument to be had about the use of overseas call centres by many UK companies, but it's all about money savings and that horse has long since bolted. Not a reason to moan about Halfords.
A manager should have the info in the shop not all this messages people don't understand your accent and we don't understand there's one good manager should be enough to sort things out.

Rocky

Hello decadence
A manager should have the info in the shop not all this messages people don't understand your accent and we don't understand there's one good manager should be enough to sort things out.
I understand South African accents. Some of my best friends are from South Africa. On the other hand, I don't understand Brummie accents.

classic33

Leg End Member
There's one bike shop that does daylight robbery, going on what you've said.
How would a call centre manager know that to be true, based on what you tell them?

Top Bottom