Hamilton; surely he's not going to blow it again? Is he?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So by your principle gravity sports are out then Andy? Skiing, snowboarding, tobogganing luge, diving etc. Wind powered sports too; sailing, land yachting etc.
And surfing must be disqualified as the motive power comes from waves.

The secret's in the name; Motor Sport.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
There is no definition of what constitutes sport. It is generally accepted as a pastime in which people compete against others, no sport has any point to it other than amusement. That applies just as much to the Tour de France as to a Pool competition down the local.

We cyclists do tend to be very up ourselves on this subject.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
mickle said:
So by your principle gravity sports are out then Andy? Skiing, snowboarding, tobogganing luge, diving etc. Wind powered sports too; sailing, land yachting etc.
And surfing must be disqualified as the motive power comes from waves.

The secret's in the name; Motor Sport.

Skiing and snowboarding would I think be definitely sports. Toboganning and luge, probably because while you are right in that they hinge on gravity, the players put in the power to make it work but those two are very borderline. Sailing and land yachting are also border line but strike me as being a bit more of a sport.

Diving isn't a sport to me along with gymnastics (incredibly physically demanding as it is) simply because it involves people awarding scores i.e. it is judged as opposed to being measured against the clock etc.

I'm not claiming to have got a cast iron principle but I do think it provides a good general test.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
That may be the case but as a made point it puts you in the same league of debating as Mr Pig i.e. it doesn't bring the debate any further. And it's only a debate in any event.

I agree with you about the judging issues Andy - subjective stuff and it's the whim (within reason) of the judges.
I suppose everyone has their point of view but I tend not to call motorised stuff 'Sport' - the 'man to man' / team to team thing does it for me. Human exertion to the limit maybe? Team inspiration and motivation? The Corinthian spirit that sometimes peeps through?

As for horse racing - well!:eek:
And there's not much team darts on BBC2 these days...:sad:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Chuffy said:
Put that wooden spoon down, you horribule little man!

Did I mention that Bonj was talking out of his arse on that occasion? :biggrin:

did you need to?

Mr Pig

Andy in Sig said:
You might think it's rubbish but simply to say so doesn't make it rubbish: that would require a counter argument.

By your reasoning skiing isn't a sport but tiddly winks is. Your argument is so catastrophically over-simplistic that i don't see any need to debate it. You're talking to yourself dude ;0)

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Mr Pig said:
By your reasoning skiing isn't a sport but tiddly winks is. Your argument is so catastrophically over-simplistic that i don't see any need to debate it. You're talking to yourself dude ;0)

See my post #122 and now you mention it, yes I suppose tiddlywinks is a sport, certainly more so than F1 driving.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Well think about it, one involves switching on, dabbing the accelerator and away you go. The other involves careful co-ordination of hand and eye, not to mention getting the old thumb pressure just right. Definitely sport.

Top Bottom