Hanger & Rear Derailleur Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bennydorano

Veteran
I have new Hanger ordered as the current one is a bit bent, wondering is it just a matter of screwing in the RD into the new hanger or are there any potential complications that should make me wary of taking it on myself? (The RD is fine).

AndyRM

XOXO
A simple job, you'll be fine, just make sure you get the RD threaded on properly.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Might be worth getting a shop to fit it, just because it is new doesn't neccessarily mean it is straight and they should be able to align it correctly (unless you have an alignment tool)

AndyRM

XOXO
@raleighnut - do you mean the RD? Whenever I've put one on it seems to screw into the right position, and the hangar has a couple of bolts to line it up properly. You've got me worried I've done it wrong!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
upload_2015-3-4_14-55-10.jpeg
I don't think you can fit them wrongly it just needs checking with something like this

screenman

Legendary Member
Always use a rear mech alignment tool before making any adjustments to your rear mech. Only somebody not knowing would start a job half way through.

AndyRM

XOXO
The tool is just a bar with a pointer that checks the hanger is aligned with the wheel.

Ah right, cheers for that. I had no idea such a thing existed!

screenman

Legendary Member
What, even adjusting cable tension? Somewhat over the top I think.

Why, the rear mech alignment is critical and takes a short time to adjust, how do you know that it is the cable and not the alignment? answer is you do not unless you check it. Why would you adjust cable tension once it is set correctly?

I bet a £5 I could align your rear mech and then in 3 months it would need doing again.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
What, even adjusting cable tension? Somewhat over the top I think.
If they will index fully across the range then the hanger is not bent but if you struggle or can only get silent indexing on some of the gears then it is the first thing to check. One of these days I will get my own tool. :becool:

Tim Hall

Ah right, cheers for that. I had no idea such a thing existed!
Why, the rear mech alignment is critical and takes a short time to adjust, how do you know that it is the cable and not the alignment? answer is you do not unless you check it. Why would you adjust cable tension once it is set correctly?

I bet a £5 I could align your rear mech and then in 3 months it would need doing again.
I fitted a new cable to my bike, so I adjusted the tension. I didn't check the alignment. It indexes just fine.

To the OP, screw the new hanger on, fix the mech to it. If after that it doesn't work properly you might want to consider getting the alignment checked.

screenman

Legendary Member
I fitted a new cable to my bike, so I adjusted the tension. I didn't check the alignment. It indexes just fine.

To the OP, screw the new hanger on, fix the mech to it. If after that it doesn't work properly you might want to consider getting the alignment checked.

That does not mean it could not be better if the mech was aligned, all I am saying is it should always be the first place to start. Bit like laying bricks, get the first one wrong and all that.

Top Bottom