Have you ever met anyone online for reasons other that cycling?

Have you ever met anyone from the internet for anything but cycling?

• No... weirdo's and creepy people do that!

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No... but would not rule it out/judge those that do.

• Yes... and was a positive experience.

• Yes... but would not do it again, they were creepy/odd.

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
I've met loadsy people off the internet and have never had anything like a disappointment. Met loads for football-related reasons and probably more than that number for gigs around the country. Having said that, I would be worried if I was a young person or was still the father of a young person as there's loads of basket cases out there. The overwhelming majority of people, in my experience anyway, are decent, nice folk.

terry huckle

Sent someone a PM on an aviation forum sometime ago....he was starting his own one up (see www.flyafrica.info ) and he invited me to join. Met him recently when he was passing through London. We had a few beers

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've made contact with long lost rellies via Family History websites - and met with some of them. But on the whole they tend to be older than me and often American or Aussie so harder to meet!

Cranky

Well, I've met Dayvo twice for a beer - very enjoyable.

A fellow I encountered online during my family history research a few years ago is now a very good friend and we've arranged two international family gatherings since, as well as meeting up socially on regular occasions.

My best touring buddy is the husband of one of my sixth form friends who contacted me through Friends Reunited in 2001. Although I went to their wedding in 1976 I hardly knew him and then, there we were, meeting up at Putney Bridge to ride the London to Oxford route some 26 years later! Since then we've cycled thousands of miles together, stayed in countless guest houses, and seen each other through all sorts of 'life events'.

So, all in all, quite a positive experience of meeting people online for me.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Yes, and no, I am not going to tell you about it! However they were thoroughly enjoyable experiences some years ago, which will not be repeated. :cry:

tyred

Legendary Member
I met two fellow old Raleigh enthusiasts I met on Flickr. Pleasant experience and I will be seeing them again in July. I also went out with a girl I met online. Nothing creepy about her but we weren't compatible.

Unless you're looking a website aimed at teens, I think most people out there are perfectly genuine.

When I first met Mme HF she had come over to England to accompany her cousin, who was going to meet in person some Londoner whom she had met on the interweb. Apparently she -the cousin- couldn't get away fast enough. They spent the rest of the week hiding in the lake district.

scook94

Veteran
Being a coffee geek and former member of a green coffee bean buying co-op, I met a few other members for distribution of said green coffee and also for the enjoyment of a latte or two.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I frequently pass cyclists that I've met through the internet on the road - TimO today (just south of Streatham), and Jasper last week (just south of Chichester!)

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I said no, but then remembered I used to go on a music forum, and met some bods at a couple of gigs... top time was had by all, but I sort of stopped visiting that forum when I found C+ (and then this place)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
was Jasper looking as dapper... as only he does..?

dellzeqq said:
I frequently pass cyclists that I've met through the internet on the road - TimO today (just south of Streatham), and Jasper last week (just south of Chichester!)

Top Bottom