Have you passed your Cycling Proficiency?

Have you taken either Cycling Proficiency or Bikeability Training?

• I passed my Cycling Proficiency

Votes: 172 63.0%
  • I failed my Cycling Proficiency

Votes: 8 2.9%
  • I passed my Bikeability

Votes: 10 3.7%
  • I failed Bikeability

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I've never had any cycle training

Votes: 86 31.5%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In another thread "cyclists are their own worst enemy", there was a quote from a member of the public saying that cyclists should have passed their Cycling proficiency in this post

I suspect that a large majority have, I know I did .... In the playground with the cones and the police officer back in 1979. Now the bloke making that statement might think that was a long time ago, but it suspect it was more recently than he took his driving test and I assume he thinks that's still valid. So have you passed either you cycling proficiency or Bikeability for those with less wrinkles:whistle:

By the way I still have that triangular badge!
Still got mine too!

About 40 years ago, mind...

I've also got a motorbike licence - pretty good at making a car driver into a much more defensive rider, and some of it reads across to bicycles.
I agree. It makes for more defensive bicycle riding and makes you much more aware too. And lifesaver checks work just as well on a bicyle- or in a car for that matter.

BigAl68

Über Member
I did mine in 1978 in the school playground and I remember then getting my first road bike that summer a Peugeot that I loved. I was then allowed to ride to the Severn bridge services with my mates to play the space invaders machines. I still have the red and green enamel badge somewhere.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Where's the "I can't remember" option? :laugh:
Must be well over 40 years ago, but I vaguely remember steering round traffic cones in the playground. Didn't stop me coming round a corner on the wrong side of the road and hitting the headmasters car not long after though! :blush::laugh:
Not quite as long ago, but that's my memory. I don't know if it was anything to do with a test or what but it was unremarkable and I'd been riding a while. Didn't stop me putting my first hub-geared bike into a rose bush - ow, 33% is a big acceleration isn't it? - and my first derailleur bike into a field of wheat - oops, I shouldn't look at the downtube shifter so long! :laugh:

I passed it 40+ years ago. One worry though: I seem to recall being told to ride 18" from the kerb. Does anyone else recall anything daft like that? Obviously I know better now
Yep, I remember that. I wonder if it was official advice back then or if they were letting any Tom, Dick or Jimmy Saville do kids' cycle training?

Yup- and pased 3 times-more years ago than I'm prepared to admit - I moved schools a lot - everybody who cycled to school had to take it - there was not a lot of instruction for those who already cycled to school - more about whether the bike had everything it should have - a couple of times around the playground and the cones - and then demoing to other kids

Gasman

Old enough to know better, too old to care!
Every year at my primary school (40 odd years ago) the Primary 7s had a week of training sessions leading up to the Cycling Proficiency Test with a presentation of certificates at a later assembly. I was looking forward to my chance as I cycled almost daily. When I reached Primary 7, however, there was some sort of financial cutback and only a handful of kids out of about 100 were selected. I put my name in but was persuaded to allow one of my classmates who had a nice shiny new racing bike to enter rather than take my rusty but trusty BSO to the sessions. I continued to ride everywhere while I don't think I saw my classmate on his bike more than a handful of times. The whole episode still wrankles to this day.

I did get my Cyclist badge from the Scouts, though.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Some memories here, no idea what happened to my badge but I did cycling proficiency in late 50's (I think). Also had a CTC badge somewhere tho' I've still got the Barts maps that I bought through them.

citybabe

Keep Calm and OMG.......CAKES!!
Passed my proficiency way back in 1980 when I was 8.
My primary school had a road painted in the playground with junctions and a roundabout

family guy

I have never taken a Cycling Proficiency test but I do hold a full Motorcycle licence and since jumping on pedal power as to horse power, I don't feel I need to take a further test as in my mind my Motorcycle licence far exceeds the required Cycling Proficiency test.
Soap Box time....
1 Mr James Nash. Sir you are a pathetic little man who enjoys getting off over the pain of others, get a life.
2 Congrats to that lady for not decking him.
3 Unfortunately as in most cases in society, its always a minority who spoils it for majority and in the world of cycling we are not exempt.
I would like to say to all cyclist, how can we expect support and protection from other road users when WE are not playing by the rules of the road, I would like to see the
cycling world get its own house in order before we are made to.

Ride Safe

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I have never taken a Cycling Proficiency test but I do hold a full Motorcycle licence and since jumping on pedal power as to horse power, I don't feel I need to take a further test as in my mind my Motorcycle licence far exceeds the required Cycling Proficiency test.
Soap Box time....
1 Mr James Nash. Sir you are a pathetic little man who enjoys getting off over the pain of others, get a life.
2 Congrats to that lady for not decking him.
3 Unfortunately as in most cases in society, its always a minority who spoils it for majority and in the world of cycling we are not exempt.
I would like to say to all cyclist, how can we expect support and protection from other road users when WE are not playing by the rules of the road, I would like to see the
cycling world get its own house in order before we are made to.

Ride Safe
Although I agree with your post we as cyclists cannot be responsible for the hoody wearing 'ninja cyclist' idiots that infest the roads.
Yes they do get us a bad reputation but they are not cyclists they are just idiots who happen to be on a BSO but are perceived as bike riders by the mass of the car driving public.
They are nobbers ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Get over it and stay well lit at night....................As a friend of mine once said "it gives them something to aim at"

Brandane

Legendary Member
I've never had any cycle training. I didn't have any schooling in the UK from age 6 to 11, so I guess I missed out the stage where I might have got training. So, self taught it was, on the mean streets of Kingston, Jamaica. Leafy suburban Kingston, actually :smile:.

Top Bottom